THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Demand for illegal ivory soars in booming China

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Demand for illegal ivory soars in booming China
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.independent.co.uk/n...g-china-1820976.html

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9403 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Makes you wonder how hunters and what hunters can do to help.

And how can China be influenced to take conservation seriously?

John

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
they can't!!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13218 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the same reason that cocaine trafficers have not gone out of business.

Agree with Jdollar, using a strategy that tries to convince 1.4 billion chinese how to live their lives is not the bet idea.

Conservation on the ground does work, and the increasing numbers of elephants in Zim, South Africa, Selous, Botswana shows this is the way to go.

Posts: 54 | Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil | Registered: 08 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
With rotten corrupt governments, and a total lack of law enforcement, what else can be expected? It is only going to get worse with the Chinese buying their way in all over Africa.

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So; when you all hunt an elephant do you leave the ivory behind? I dont think so. Ivory is wonderful stuff, like gold - valued threw the ages. Going to be difficult to run a con job on the Chinese people and convince them that western hunters have an exclusive right to own ivory.

Ivory handle revolver, not pearl. Remember?

When an elephant dies, the ivory is supposed to be left to rot? Or piled up in a store room? Sell the ivory and use the money for game management. Resulting in more hunting & tourism dollars. I hate to see resources wasted.

How about elephant farms? Same idea as the alligator farms in Florida. A lot of money comes in from Japan to those farms. Good business.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
But they aren't buying licenses to kill those ele's. Money isn't flowing back to communities and games depts.

The real problem (for us hunters anyways) is when they start playing by the rules and outbidding us for those licenses. Right now we can vilify them but that may not always be the case.

Culturally the Chinese are not hunters. They will probably want the ivory but not the hunting. It would be a lot easier for a PH to head out and harvest a buff then to take a white hunter out and do it. And if the pay is the same...

Think about it.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am curious, if a hunter brings back elephant tusks from a legal hunt in Africa can he sell the ivory later? If not what happens to it when he dies? Can his estate sell the ivory?

Can a US Citizen have his legal hunted ivory used for pistol grips on his personal guns. Can those be guns be sold later?

bewildered

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
The problem with poached eles, nobody abides by quotas or management numbers, bulls, cows, mature or otherwise. If it has ivory, kill it and do not worry about tomorrow.As the local folk around here say, "if it is finished, it is finished."
Doug.

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Makes you wonder how hunters and what hunters can do to help.

Put a .338 Lapua bullet thru uncle Bob's skull!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.miamiherald.com/new...P/story/1337738.html

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9403 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Do any of you really think the Chinese give a shit about the animals in Africa?

I'm no PETA supporter, but I still can't seem to comprehend their culture:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...n-YouTube-video.html

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
I support People Eating Tasty Animals. But hell, some clips I have seen coming out of China. One filmed by PETA showed many baskets of cats [domestic] being badly treated and even skinned alive. In this lot, baskets of other animals, including dogs were shown and they were also heading for the pot. By the same token, cattle rustlers in this neck of the woods, use a panga to hamstring cows, cut their choice of meat from the living animal, then flee leaving the farmer to put the animal down when he discovers it. I have nothing against animals being utilised by humans, but such torture deserves nothing less than a good flogging for all those involved. Was it not Gandhi who said "Civilised society is judged by the manner in which it treats its animals". [Correct me if I am wrong]