New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trousers for Zimbabwe June
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking at cotton trousers for hunting Zimbabwe, June.
Fabric is 310 gsm ( = approx 9 0z / sq. yd )
Is this OK, or too heavy and likely to become uncomfortable during mid day hours ?
Thanks.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a little heavy, but consider that it will offer thorn protection as well.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Consider how noisy it will be before buying.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Consider how noisy it will be before buying.

Yes, for sure. Don't want to fall into that trap.
I am very mindful of that unfortunate Texan hunter who made the mistake of wearing paper trousers once. He was arrested for rustling. Big Grin

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Hi mate

I was looking for similar stuff 2 years ago when I planned to hunt Zim in September. I ended up cancelling the hunt.

But I still bought the gear. Look at Cabellas website. I got 3 cotton shirts including shipping for less than what they would cost here from Farmers! These are really nice safari / travel type shirts.

Similarly they have the brushed cotton pants as well.

Good luck with your hunt

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider that June is during their "winter" and, depending on where you'll be in Zim, it can be very cool to darn cold during morning and late evening hours, particularly if you plan to sit in a blind. That being said, I've still found shorts to have the most comfort and utility. Your PH should have the best guidance on this.

Posts: 43 | Location: On the road somewhere | Registered: 17 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I was in the Zambezi Valley in June of 2011 and it was about 4 C in the mornings heating up to 25 C in the afternoons.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dude
Yoga pants! They feel so natural when you are in the Bush. When you are walking those Elephant trails in the Valley there's nothing like the extra spring yoga pants will put in your step
Tuck them into your boots.
They are impervious to Buffalo Beans and Stinging Nettles. You can rub them all over your Yoga pants and you won't feel a thing.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there in June and ended up wearing shorts the whole time. One morning it was really cold and I wore 2 pair of shorts Smiler

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there in June of 14, had some cotton pants that were too warm and uncomfortable - wore synthetics the entire time - much more comfortable.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always wear 511 pants or shorts. I like their pockets.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Zip offs are often worth considering for Africa but not a good idea to wear synthetics that can't be ironed because they can harbour bot fly eggs which can then pass from your clothes into your body and they're extremely painful & unpleasant to remove.

No matter what you wear, don't put anything at all on unless it's been properly ironed and don't be afraid to send stuff back to the laundry if you're not happy with it. After all, that's what the laundry staff are paid to do for you.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Australian made R.M.Williams trousers are great if not wearing shorts.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I used the Cabela's pants with zip-off legs and never used the bottom leg pieces. Just threw on a sweater in the morning.

They change styles a lot but the similar ones they have listed now are six-ounce cotton.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
When I took two of my sons to South Africa, and one of them back to Zimbabwe a few years later, we always wore brown jeans with brush-buster facings--what in the South we call quail pants. Good protection against thornbush.

Just make sure they're well-broken in and have been washed multiple times, for comfort and to keep noise at a minimum.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1554 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Have been to Zim a half dozen times that time of year. Cotton or cotton blend for quiet. Have worn long underwear for warmth and a surprising amount of brush protection. Remove the "longwise" for afternoon. Yoga pants sound interesting, but will need to stand up to ironing. Do not want fly eggs to infest your clothes !!

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Buy Gold Bond powder.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I like the Propper 100% ripstop BDU pants.

Wash a few times and very soft and very quiet.

MSRP is $40, but easy to find for $25-30

https://www.propper.com/mens/p...user-button-fly.html

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad ya'll are so fashion conscious. My main criteria is green.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I'm glad ya'll are so fashion conscious. My main criteria is green.

Levi make a good trouser.

Joking aside a good trouser will keep you warm during those cold mornings and keep the tsetse at bay. You can always wear your shorts underneath.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
I like the Propper 100% ripstop BDU pants.

Wash a few times and very soft and very quiet.

MSRP is $40, but easy to find for $25-30

https://www.propper.com/mens/p...user-button-fly.html

I like TruSpec, they are Gunny approved and pro gun. Cost the same as Propper, and have more ball room.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep it simple, buy Dickies 874 in olive green. I wore my for 7 trips to Africa plus working over at the farm before they wore out. I bought the short sleeve and the long sleeve shirts for layering, as the day warms up you can shed cloths.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 81 | Location: uk and zambia | Registered: 27 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought four sets of green shirts and pants from Gander Mtn at the SCI Convention in Feb of 2008.

They zip off at the elbow and knee. It was cool in the early morning to have the long sleeves/pants legs, but nice to zip them off after lunch.

They have made three trips to Africa and bowhunting here in Idaho in late summer/fall.

Ripstop material, haven't torn a pair yet.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Carhart B-151 style 7.5 oz. cotton twill pants for Africa. Lightweight enough but durable enough for protection. As previously mentioned, they are ironed by cast iron heated by a wood fire (to kill bot flies) after being scrubbed mercilessly to remove stains. I don't think synthetic fabric is a good idea for this laundry method. Someone on AR suggested leaving clothes in Africa upon departure. Judging by how quickly my Africa pants wear out upon return, that sounds like a good idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank all for the ideas and suggestions.
Followed up many of these. Some pretty good, others maybe not so helpful ( yoga pants....??? )
Once I had assembled some gear my plan was to Permethrin treat outer gear against ticks etc.
During internet searches I found one supplier who offers shirts and trousers pre-treated with Permethrin. I might try the trousers. Posting links here for anyone who might be interested.
http://www.bisleyworkwear.co.n...rkwear-Pants/?page=2
http://www.bisleyworkwear.co.n...t-Protection-Shirts/

Cheers