Tools

Kruger's oldest elephant dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.timeslive.co.za/loc...oldest-elephant-dies

Kruger's oldest elephant dies
Sapa | 07 October, 2011 13:49

One the Kruger National Park's (KNP) oldest elephants, Duke, who was more than 55-years-old, has died, the park said on Friday.

The elephant was discovered lying on its side along Makambeni spruit, five kilometres from Crocodile Bridge Camp on Wednesday, KNP spokesman William Mabasa said in a statement.

The five-day-old carcass was found after the camp's section ranger, Neels van Wyk, became worried when there was no movement from Duke's electronic collar.

It was believed the animal died on October 1.

"Although Duke was old, we are very saddened by this magnificent bull's passing as he was very popular and had avid followers who always asked about him," said Mabasa.

"In the past few years, there had been enquiries as to whether Duke was still with us; so when news of his passing came through we assumed it was rumours doing the rounds again."

The elephant had lost both tusks and in 2010 was fitted with a tracking collar in an effort to check up on him and his whereabouts.

Duke was estimated to have lived in the KNP bush for over 55 years.

Following normal practice, the head, tusk remains, and possibly skeleton would be recovered and then stored for possible display purposes.

Emerging tuskers are named after previous rangers and field rangers who have made notable contributions to conservation and the KNP.

The park said Duke was named after Thomas Duke, who was based at Lower Sabie between 1903 and 1923.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, people would have seen him and not have been impressed by him, with out his Ivory.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
RIP! Does anyone know how big his tusks were when they were lost?

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here he is in all his glory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhERGWl-kog

Wow!

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Awesome bull!

one of us
posted Hide Post
How in the world does an old jumbo lose both of his tusks ??? Confused What a great looking animal .... beer

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Whoa! I've never hunted Elephant...never really planned to hunt elephant...never tried to size an elephant. But dayum! I'd have to say, uneducated as I am, "he's a shooter!"

I'd have to say that Boy deserves immortality.

RIP, Duke.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duke broke his left tusk on Aug. 20, 2007. It was recovered 3 days later after being spotted from above by an ultralight plane carrying two park rangers who were looking for it.

Duke broke his right tusk on Sept. 1, 2008. That tusk was recovered soon thereafter by the same ranger who recovered the first broken tusk.

It has been speculated that Duke broke both tusks digging up trees, but no one really knows. It has also been theorized that an elephant's tusks get more brittle as the elephant gets older.

Hopefully, his skull and tusks will someday go on display in the Elephant Hall in Letaba Camp, where the skulls and tusks of the original "Magnificent Seven" big tuskers of Kruger are now on display.

Duke was a very docile elephant, and was the most photographed elephant in Kruger Park's history. In all my trips to Kruger, I never had the good fortune of seeing him. I'm just glad that he apparently died from natural causes, and not from a poachers bullet.

Glen

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
Whoa! I've never hunted Elephant...never really planned to hunt elephant...never tried to size an elephant.

I'd have to say that Boy deserves immortality.

RIP, Duke.

+1

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 810 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Duke is in the magnificent book, "Great Tuskers of Africa". One of the best books I have in my extensive African library. The details of his life are set forth in the book, along with some great pictures of him. You can order the book through Safari Press, or purchase it in Kruger Park. You would not be disappointed! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am surprised he dies at 55 years old. thought he would be alot older.

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote