THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    FBI Sting at SHOT show arrests 21 for paying foreign bribes
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FBI Sting at SHOT show arrests 21 for paying foreign bribes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stephen,

Thanks for presenting this from the perspective of a citizen of an African country who is victimized by the practice of bribery.

It takes two, a giver and a receiver, to make a bribe. If you can prosecute at least one half of the deal, then you've had an impact.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I am afraid I don't understand your comment about "South African amoney and skills being wasted". Is there an RSA angle to this investigation?
Peter.

Hi Peter,

no, not in THIS case specifically but as a general observation regarding the practice. You see, our new (post apartheid) government some years ago started a major "upgrade" of our national defense force which involved a major arms procurement process. Initailly set at about US$ 4,6Billion this program has become an absolute mess.
Not only have the products been a waste in terms of our actual defense needs (I think if Lesotho attacked us now we may be beat Big Grin) but the amount of coruption and the political fallout has been enormous, running into further lost resources. It has split our ruling party, which although maybe has some positives, the country languishes in this kind of crap instead of prospering as it could have.

The big international companies that involve themselves in this bribary are keeping Africa destitute by their actions. I'm no dream rabit-this IS the way of the world. IT's just that when ocasionally it seems someone gets bust for this kind of thing its hard for me to be sympathetic.

And the standard excuse they give is "that's the only way to do business with Africans!"

See it in the light of South African PH/Outfitters, many of whom suffer under the bad practices and press of the few who are without moral fibre. It takes a canned lion hunter to create a canned lion seller. It becomes a lose - lose situation for all the rest of us........

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
At the risk of getting my head bitten off, can someone tell me what the difference is between the giving of a compulsory donation and a bribe? bewildered

animal animal animal

Sorry about that chaps, but some things are just toooo good to resist! rotflmo

Yeah Shakari. When you bribe someone you are in control and have a choice. When you are giving a "compulsory donation" you are being held up at gunpoint, albeit politely.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Ok.. let us understand this....

When I adopted my 2 kids at the age of 4 months, we went through several months of paper work & vetting - both in NZ & in India. Once the baby was identified we got custody but not the passport to bring the child to NZ. Then another 6 months of running around while I had to came back & earn a living. The only money we paid was actual legal fees and the child upkeep costs as set by the court. Then we did the 2nd child - 3 years later....same process and time frame.

If I was in the US I could have "bought" a baby for say $10,000 to $30,000 and gone back to the states in a week or so.

This puts a different perspective on corruption in developing countries. Yes, India is very corrupt in most areas. But in the field of orphans, adoption etc. the controls have become extremely strict - largely because of the long history of child abuse in the past. Selling children still occurs but is very secretive. It is not open and common like some other countries.

I wish someone will raise the issue of institutionalized corruption in the west..... Mad thumbdown

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote