New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Sticks Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do any of you see any changes in zero from the bench to shooting sticks?

I'm zeroed from the bench and will shoot off the sticks as well. Just wondering if any see any changes from one to the other?

Talking to a guy who said his M70 375H&H does not shoot the same by 4" from bench to sticks is what brought me to ask.

Live Your Dreams

Posts: 89 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Not to be a smartass, but make yourself some sticks and find out. It would doubt accuracy is that bad in most cases, but I never had occasion to test it.

The only time I used sticks was when I was so excited and shaking so badly that I needed the sticks and 100-yard groupings did not come to mind! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been using shooting sticks for so many years on safari, and have never noticed there is a change in zero!

But, I never had to re-set my scopes on any of my rifles after they have been adjusted here many years ago!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rsw2,
you will find that shooting from a bench one is able to keep the gun a lot steadier (because of a better rest ;particularly the elbow rest) while from sticks one rarely has a "dead rest" situation.....

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
No, no difference. I shoot off sticks and bench at home, no difference in the grouping.

I take one or two shots in Africa off the bench when I get there then it's all sticks and a little free hand.

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doyle Hufstedler
posted Hide Post
Funny you should ask!!
I shot off the sticks yesterday for the first time two shots to verify sighting from the bench, dead on. Group off the sticks consistently two inches left. It’s me not the rifle. I will do it again this week with a trained observer. I am sure it can be corrected.
Doyle

"He must go -- go -- go away from here!
On the other side the world he's overdue.
'Send your road is clear before you when the old Spring-fret comes o'er you,
And the Red Gods call for you!"
Rudyard Kipling - 1887 - The Feet Of The Young Men

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
rws2, all the answers you got here are true, but only in the cercumstances which the shooter used the bench, and the sticks. What I mean by this is, if you rest your rifle dirrectly on the bags, on the bench, and dirrectly on the sticks then the zero will likely be different. This is caused by the difference in the hardness between the two surfaces, of the bags and the sticks. The harder the surface, the more your rifle will kick it's self away from it!

If you place your hand between the rifle, and the bags, and sticks, the zero is likely to be the same, but the group will be larger, in most cases, off the sticks. This is because of the lack of rest for your trigger arm's elbow, with the sticks.

I don't shoot well off sticks, and find I shoot better off hand, or, if posible, drop to my butt, with both elbows rested on my knees. Sometimes you will not have that option, as bush may be in the way for the sitting position.

As someone above said, make yourself a set of sticks, and practice with them! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks All!
Got sticks and will shoot later today and report my findings.

Live Your Dreams

Posts: 89 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Results of Stick Test

Shot from sticks at 50yds. 75yds. 100yds. 125yds. and 200yds.

I was shooting a small pieces of sandstone from 2" in dia. to 4" in dia.

I saw no real changes except I couldn't get as steady as I'd like to have but it was acceptable.

50yds. 2" stone just barely over top 2 shots.
75yds. 4" stone dusted it.
100yds. 3" stone first shot just right of it,had to have just missed it by a hair, second shot dusted it.
125yds. 3"-4" stone dusted it.
200yds. 4" stone 2 shots just left both shots Maybe 1" left. which would translate to 3" Left.

The missed shots were most definitely me and not the rifle which is a Ruger No.1 375H&H with a 1.75-6x32 Leupold VXIII
300gr. Swift A Frames at 2500fps.

I just need some more practice from the sticks.

Thanks Again All

Live Your Dreams

posted Hide Post
rws2,

What sort of sticks are you using? If you want a really stable shooting position, get some of those telescopic sticks similar to the Stoney Points and shoot from the sitting position..Its nearly as stable as being on a bench!

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are homemade jobs outta 5ft. electric fence posts. Lashed together in a bipod fashion.

All shots were from the standing.

I have a short set to for sitting but since I figured I'd most likely be standing when I shoot at a Water Buffalo I better know where the bullets going and what to expect.

Yea I know Dangerous Game Hunting with a single shot is not the best of choices but its just something I wanta do. Figured standing would also allow me the fastest follow up shot/shots.

I'm familier with shooting from sticks from the sitting postion and agree one can get very steady from that position.
I can also do well of the side of a tree if there happens to be a tree handy.
I figured sticks from standing would be better than off hand thats why I'm practicing from standing.

Thanks

Live Your Dreams

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
When learning to shoot off sticks, you need to take some pains to ensure you are centering your eye behind the scope tube in the center of the "light pencil". If you are at an edge, you can move the point of impact due to parralax.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found that I have to shoot sticks the same way as from the bench. If I rest the rifle on my hand on the bag from the bench I have to do the same with the sticks using them as a wrist rest. If I rest the rifle on the bag on the bench I have to do the same on the sticks except the sticks have to have some sort of firm padding, not hard or spongy soft. I made my sticks from half inch dowl and use radiator hose for the padding above a GI parachute cord hinge point. Also hang a thread from your blaze orange vest off the top of one stick as a wind gauge.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
These are homemade jobs outta 5ft. electric fence posts

5 feet is a bit short, I would suggest making the sticks from 6 foot long poles.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I love them, I used to be a Harris bi-pod guy, but they are a bit of a pain in the arse.

I would like a pair made out of something light, strong, and non-metalic. If you have seen some like that let me know.

I was thinking carbon fiber, but they would be kind of spendy. Then wrap the tops in nylon parachute cord to keep rifle damage at a minimum.

What do you think? Seen any non-metalic carbon fiber ones cheap?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The ones I used in Namiba in August were aluminum and had quite a bit of clank!

That's the best way to shoot a big gun, after you get it sighted in at home. You absorb the recoil in a different way and can shoot quite a few more rounds.

I use a Bogen camera tripod at home with a hat over my binoculars. It's kind of a spendy tripod, but for at home it works. Wouldn't want to carry it far.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend and I have come up with several ideas for sticks that we think are great. My problem is that I want to practice with something as close as possible to what I'm going to use in Africa, and unless they have also been practicing with "your" sticks, it is going to be different. I have heard from a couple of folks I trust that the Long Grass sticks come extremely close to what you actually use when you get there and I've been practicing with those and feel pretty comfortable. JMO.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 5ft. Sticks do make me squat down some. I'll go cut so 6ft. sasafass sticks.

Live Your Dreams

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gotogirl3:
...My problem is that I want to practice with something as close as possible to what I'm going to use in Africa, and unless they have also been practicing with "your" sticks, it is going to be different...

I know I am stating the obvious, but take yours that you are practicing with along and use them in Africa.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Bamboo poles from the garden department work very well and are similar to what one will find in Africa.

From the Tips & Packing List:

Shooting sticks are widely used in Africa. Some PHs use bipod shooting sticks and some use tripod shooting sticks. You can make your own and acquire invaluable practice before you go. Go to a home improvement store or garden department and buy five bamboo poles (6 feet long poles) along with a two vacuum cleaner belts (Eureka F&G size). Your total cost should be well under $20.00. To make the tripod shooting sticks, put three poles together and wrap one of the belts around the poles three times. Roll the belt down about 6 inches from the top. Use the same procedure for the bipod set, just wrap the belt around the poles four times.

You may want to wrap the top portion of the shooting sticks with something soft (leather, cloth, etc.) so as to protect your rifle. I have also seen tripod sticks where one of the poles (above the belt) has been cut off, so as to make it easier to support your rifle.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting in Namibia this year I shot every animal except my kudu which was off hand off the sticks. I didn't practice off sticks before I went, but when I hunt up here in Alaska, I almost always try to shoot off of something. It was not a problem at all. I made one shot kills on all animals. It may help to practice with the sticks, but I surely didn't feel that it affected the accuracy at all. I actually enjoyed the sticks and wouldn't have shot as well if I had to shoof off hand I know that for a fact!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I have one of the "LEVELLOK" monopods.(got it at the '05 DSC) It works better for me than a tripod, because it is easier to set up by yourself while holding your rifle. I have used the Longgrass tripod and it does give a steadier rest, but it is not as easy to repostion if needed as the mono pod.

Two days ago I used my mono pod to make a clean, 165yd shot on a song dog. Could not ask for any better support. I do put my hand in the v notch and not the forend.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doyle,
I had the same problem when practicing before I went to Namibia last May. Someone suggested that I was bearing down on the sticks too much. I corrected it just before I left I was very sucessful - hit everything I aimed at. Maybe it will work for you. Good hunting!
John

Posts: 155 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For more of an "African " look I made my shooting sticks from 6' sections of willow saplings that are about 5/8" on the bottom to about 3/4" at the top. Trim with a knife,leave the bark on, taper the bottoms to a point to prevent slipping, wrap with electrical friction tape and I have a set-up that is identical to what I used in ZIM. I shoot with my hand in the "V" palm up grasping the forend with no change in POI from the bench. Don't know if there's a "right" way to do it or not but this is how my PH showed me how to do it and it seems to work pretty good.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Don't apply too much pressure to the sticks. Think of it as off-hand shooting and you are just using the sticks to steady (not to support the entire weight of the rifle). Don't bend too much at the waist or you can have difficulty getting a good site picture in the scope. If you are bending too much at the waist, then spread you legs out to lower your site line.

Regards,

Terry