New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cows vs Bulls
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Heading to Zim in the fall of 2012 for Buff and Tuskless. After reading Judge G's great report of his hunt with his daughter, I started to think about Buff bulls vs cows. Don't really have the desire as of now to bring anything back to hang on the wall. That being the case, with two cows for the price of one bull do I double my experience or is the hunting of one bull better than two cows?

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you just want to hunt elephant for the experience and are not interested in the trophies then hunting tuskless cows is without doubt the way to go. In addition the "experience" will be greater, in that hunting cows is more dangerous as you will be amongst the defensive breeding herds.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about buff...my opinion is that if you are hunting herds and not dagga boys, the experience is exactly the same. When I killed a cow buff for rations, it was the same hunt as for a bull. I actually had to let two bulls get out of the way that would have been easy shots, to kill an old cow. If you aren't in it for a trophy at all, it would be twice the experience...but if this is your first buff...I would have a hard time not going for a bull Wink.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
When you kill those cows you have to experience dropping the dead calf onto the ground. Killing buff cows always bothered me more than elephant cows.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote