Find
Notify
Tools

What is this kudu eating ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted
This is a couple of pics that I took from an kudu cow. Now the question is what is she eating ?

Some hints:

• It is dry and not much to eat.
  • It is under a shady tree even if it is dry and the end of winter, end of August.
  • There is baboons also nearby.
  • It is of course part of a plant.
  • It is quite tough and took a while for her to swallow.

I will give the answer tomorow afternoon our time. Morning time US!

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The fruit of the sausage tree?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are Kudu, ruminants? If so she could be re-chewing a previous meal of some forage.

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickudu:
The fruit of the sausage tree?

My guess as well, but I've never seen Kudu eat these! Elephant eat them all the time, though.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dung!

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Kind of looks like a hunk of elephant dung!

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what she is chowing down on but those are great photos. How close were you and what did you use to capture the images. Great job!!

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Thanx Phil,

Quite close 15 yards and the equipment was a Konica Minolta Dynax 7 D with a 100-300 mm 1:4.5-6.7 zoom lens from Sigma.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
looks like part of a palm frond maybe dropped from a Baboon!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
Klapperdop - or monkey orange's remains after the baboons opened it and ate most of the pips inside the fruit.

A type of wild coconut one can almost say.

OWLS
My Africa, with which I will never be able to live without!

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they are ruminants and no that is not a cud. Dr.C

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is not ele poop. It looks like something that might have passed through something already but not poop. It doesn't look very good to me.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pic number one looks like it could be a monkey-orange, but looks more fibrous in the following pics. I would say, given that it was under a big shady tree, most likely a Kigelia fruit, which is as hard as sin, so probably opened by an ellie or stick of dynamite?

Posts: 302 | Location: England | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Yes, most of you were right the fruit of a sausage tree.

She sure was chewing and giving her jaw muscles a good work out.

Frederik Cocquyt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine's mother in Namibia is having a hell of a time this month with Kudu.........

Translated from the German; "they are mowing her garden" Big Grin

She has promised to leave me the biggest bull...57-59 inches for next year. How will I make a stalk? Wink Might have to shoot the bugger after morning coffee and rusks Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
She may STARVE TO DEATH before then. . . .You'd better go now or let some other lucky soul have a shot at him! But if she's still alive and if the kudu haven't finished the garden off, then I'd dress up like her, sit on the back porch and shoot him from. . . . . her rocking chair! dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
She may STARVE TO DEATH before then. . . .You'd better go now or let some other lucky soul have a shot at him! But if she's still alive and if the kudu haven't finished the garden off, then I'd dress up like her, sit on the back porch and shoot him from. . . . . her rocking chair! dancing

Cunning plan, UEG thumb Big Grin Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have gone with Baboon Poop!

Posts: 59 | Location: Worthing, West Sussex, UK | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You do not say where she is located geographically..It could be Klapperdop, or Amarulu and a few hundred other fruits in various stages of ripening or drying.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote