THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Picked up my rifle from gunsmith today.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up my rifle from gunsmith today.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted

My 375 H&H Musgrave K98, a while ago I took off the scope mounts for the first time since I got it 14 years ago and decided to use it with open sights from now on. Now the cheekpiece was too high and it was very uncomfortable and difficult too shoot that way.

So off it went to Oom Ginger van Zyl a very good and experienced gunsmith and hunter himself make sure you have some extra spare time too with some of the stories you get to hear from him.

As you can see the top part on the cheekpiece doesnt have the exact same colour as the rest of the stock but I'm sure after a couple of times putting oil over it it should be 100%

While the rifle was in I asked Oom Ginger to smooth out the feeding and see if he could add a wee bit of length to the magazine box. Well testing it without the firing pin in the vice I was impressed with the feeding and ejection. I'm a happy man now thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice one!

What made up your mind re: removing the scope?

It is a pity that Musgrave don't produce rifles anymore, what caused their demise?

Cheers

Gabriel

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it! Looks like great rifle.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Gabriel,

I'm not sure waht caused Musgaraves demise I'm sure there are a couple of others on the forum that would be able to tell you.

As for the scope the reason why I took it off is because the rifle is mostly used for backup and since we dont hunt where DG is involved 100%of the time the rifle stays in my bakkie. Now driving on the bad rough roads and then only taking out the rifle when you need it I was worried about the scope would it be out or would it stay in. My next move would be to get detachable mounts and a decent scope but thats for the future.

Plus I'm enjoying the open sights now.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Once my 500 Jeff is ready I will take the rifle to oom Ginger as well.

He is a master gunsmith that is for sure.

Did great job on the 375.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/