THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Elephant export banned to EU countries from Mozambique True or False?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant export banned to EU countries from Mozambique True or False?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted
Heard that yesterday CITES banned export of elephant trophies to EU countries from Mozambique, anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Mart

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I do not think CITES dictates who can import a trophy, only whether it can be exported.

It may be that the EU banned import though.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Elephant poaching in the Selous & Niassa is rampant right now. In discussion on lion in Niassa with a person on the ground 24/7 there...I was told that some of the prides flourished the last couple of years due 'strictly' to the fact that all they had to do was walk from one ele carcass to another with out hunting at all.

Even though ele are abundant in many parks and not endangered by any means...the negative press of this poaching epidemic combined with the fact much of the illicit money finds its way into terrorist orgs...is going to complicate things for us hunters.

One of the complaints we hear in conversations defending the use of land as hunting blocks is that many outfitters fail to protect their blocks from poachers. (Not my words at all...just telling what we hear)

But...it is the rampant poaching that is driving things like the subject of this thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Mart, my friend, have not heard the news on Moz but did hear that the EU hunters can no longer import forest elephant ivory from Cameroon.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Well, knowing Africa, how do you as an outfitter defend your block against poachers?
All you can do is report it to authorities, which takes time . If you do anything else or drastic, you"ll be the one paying the price and rot in jail somewhere.
Ultimately, the whole blame is on China and southeast Asia. They are the ones with the " Appetite for Destruction" in name of traditional medicine or things made out of ivory.
That's where UN, US, EU ... should concentrate their effort with drastic measures ( economical blockades etc.)

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Well, knowing Africa, how do you as an outfitter defend your block against poachers?
All you can do is report it to authorities, which takes time . If you do anything else or drastic, you"ll be the one paying the price and rot in jail somewhere.
Ultimately, the whole blame is on China and southeast Asia. They are the ones with the " Appetite for Destruction" in name of traditional medicine or things made out of ivory.
That's where UN, US, EU ... should concentrate their effort with drastic measures ( economical blockades etc.)

I agree.

However...I have been told that TZ is fixing to issue shoot to kill orders for poachers and is even getting armed drones (complements of USA) for patroling parks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cannot speak for the rest but where TZ is concerned and I have mentioned this already in the past, seriously intentioned outfitters with a genuine interest in preserving their concessions have formed their own anti-poaching patrols made up of locals accompanied by officers from the govt. anti-poaching unit.

If properly organized they can be quite efficient; the fruits of their labour are measured in the number of guns "confiscated".

One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
If anyone hears any factual information let me know! I have heard the above from 2 different sources and wanted to confirm, thanks

Mart

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Elephant poaching in the Selous & Niassa is rampant right now. In discussion on lion in Niassa with a person on the ground 24/7 there...I was told that some of the prides flourished the last couple of years due 'strictly' to the fact that all they had to do was walk from one ele carcass to another with out hunting at all.

So very true. I doubt my old toothless lion would have been alive without the Ele carcases.

Banning the controlled hunting would be a great misguided mistake in trying to protect these animals.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
The fruits of their labour are measured in the number of guns "confiscated".

I see! Whistling

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also heard the EU was not allowing any more elephant imports from Mozambique. Apparently it is a measure to force Mozambique to arrest the rampant poaching.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

Cam Greig runs several hunting blocks in Cameroon. In 2011/12 he hired me to assist in running his anti-poaching crew in zone 10(the King's concession). We chased poachers on several occasions but only made one arrest. Overall I think that we got the word out that the area was being patrolled.

One group we chased dropped everything they had before getting away. We got all their poaching and camping gear along with their shoes. I would guess they stayed away from the zone for a while.

The poacher we caught was stripped of all his kit and was put to work making bricks for the King. After he finished his brick making sentence he was going to be turned over to the courts and jailed. I have no idea how he made out.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
The US has definately banned import of Hippo from Mozambique....ruled by USF&W. This was due to Mozi failing to complete proper CITIES paperwork on schedule. John Jackson III has been involved in this so he may well have info on the Elephant situation too. I suspect that EU might have ruled on Elephant like US has on Hippo....can't import Elephant to US from Mozi. Barbara at The Hunting Report is also very informed on the facts and data....she will respond quickly, she has to me on the Hippo issue.
Unfortunately, Mozi may be doing it to itself??!!
JJIII brought this up at the recent CITIES session and there is a window to get the paperwork done and submitted....if they don't, it will be 2016 when they will have another window to get paperwork right and approved!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote