THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How can I prepare myself best for transition to hunting in Africa?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How can I prepare myself best for transition to hunting in Africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted
I'm quite new at hunting four-legged creatures Aside from a little small game hunting and a few failed attempts at deer hunting in Tennessee (stalk), all my experience is more tactical and range shooting.

What would you suggest for me to do to prepare myself for hunting plains animals in Africa? I live in Florida right now. What type of creatures and in what state would be my best bet for getting more of a feel for what to expect in Africa? I have about 2 years before I can go to Africa.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Obviously learning to shoot a rifle large enough to take the biggest game you're interested in is important.

You should also practice shooting from standing shooting sticks and off hand. In my experience the vegetation height generally didn't allow for bipods or sitting and kneeling with shooting sticks as common here in the US.

Also it's good to learn to shoot quickly, as if on the call of the PH. The hunting shows often make it look like you have all the time in the world but to take full advantage of all the opportunities that isn't the case.

With all the diversity in African hunting it's hard to name specific US hunts that will prepare you. Pronghorn may get you ready for springbuck, blesbok, etc. Some elk hunts might be similar to kudu and eland hunting. Feral pigs and white tails might get you ready for warthogs and bushbucks... but it's really hard to generalize.

Best of luck,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aside from being prepared to shoot quickly and accurately, I think the most important skill you can develop is spotting game. I think one of the most frustrating things that can happen is missing opportunities because hunters couldn't see their target, or pick it out of a herd.
I would recommend getting a good set of binoculars and spending some time on the backroads spotting game, be it deer, hogs, turkeys, whatever you can find locally. Spotting a whitetail in brush can be as challenging as any animal in the African bush.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may sound a bit weird but given your circumstances I'd suggest an accurate scoped .22 rifle and some squirrel hunting.

You'll have to concentrate on your shooting skills, especially if you try for head shots. The tree rats will also put your stalking skills to the test as well.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know that you really need to concern yourself a whole lot, but becoming a good off hand shot would be your best bet for a good hunt...If you can shoot well off hand then you can shoot well from any position..

Spotting game is handy but you will probably never be capable of spotting game like your trackers, but it helps to be able to see what they point out to you.

Practice shooting and reloading/rechambering immediately is good to get in the habit of doing...

Just go and enjoy your hunt..I like the post that says go hunt tree rats, that sounds like good advise to me..Running jackrabbits are a challange and I have done a lot of that,, Hunt as much as you can until you go to Africa.

All of the advise is good, but most important is to just go and have a good time, don't pressure yourself, it will be an experience of a lifetime, savor it and you will have good memories forever..You will come back to Africa, probably again and again..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do what Ray said.

Posts: 10263 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Practice, practice, practice.

I went to Zimbabwe last year after saving up for five years. The first animal I ever shot in my life (except for a frog with my BB gun) was an impala on day one of the safari. The second animal I shot was a Cape buffalo. In all I took seven animals in seven days with nine shots (the buffalo and zebra took two shots). I put over 80 practice rounds through my .470 and over 200 through my .375 H&H, along with hundreds through my .280.

Anyway, I think the most important things are to be (1) lucky; (2) a good shot; and, (3) ready to go when the PH puts up the shooting sticks.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Ah, excellent advice, guys. Thank you so very much. I'm running into such a big problem here in Florida finding someone, anyone, to help me and take me under their wing regarding hunting. There are programs for youth and women hunting, but it seems like middle-aged white guys are ASSUMED to have learned how to hunt from their Dads and are therefore not in need of any help.

I think I'll go out and do some squirrel hunting to start. That's an excellent idea. Plus I can take the wife (she loves observing/spotting and I wish I had her eyes - I hate glasses - and her 41 year old eyes are still 20/15).

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, #1 - get physically fit, #2 - learn to shoot your rifle well from field positions, primarily off sticks. As for hunting, whatever floats your boat. Squirrel, white tail deer, hogs any or all. The main thing is that when you line up that first shot you don't want to be winded and you do want to be confidant in your ability to hit what you aim at.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"What would you suggest for me to do to prepare myself for hunting plains animals in Africa?"

Open a savings account.

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
John:

Think also about joining your local Safari Club International chapter and you will then likely meet a lot of people who can help you. The Tallahassee SCI has many experienced hunters for example.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd buy a set of sticks and practice with them. Get some exercise.

If you're going for dangerous game, enlist the help of others and do some practice with other folks firing next to you.

Get a copy of The Perfect Shot and read it again and again.

Go squirrel hunting and get good at seeing them.

Enjoy the outdoors and enjoy the experience.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Do what Ray said.

Yup. And also start drinking whiskey by the gallon and mixing in way more gin than tonic when you make up your daily G&T's. That way, when you get to Africa, you will already be ready to deal with the monster hangovers after a night of several sundowners and it won't adveresly affect your hunt that day.
Seriously, carefully read what Ray posted...And TerryR seems right on top of it as well.
Boy are you in for the ride of your life. Africa will change you forever.
Best of luck with your hunt.
Brian.

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Learn the animals.

Know their names, some of their habits, what the differences are between the sexes. Learn the physical characteristics of the mature male of each species you want to hunt. Get in shape. Get a good camera and practice with it.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Squirrel hunting is very good for acquiring skills that apply to all hunting: spotting game, waiting for a SAFE killing shot (ie-- don't shoot at one over your head hanging from a branch because you have no idea where that little hunk of lead will end up) quietly stalking within range, shooting from different positions, shooting within the amount of time your quarry allows, etc.
I, too, second the idea of getting in the best shape possible. You will enjoy any hunt anywhere much more if at the end of the day you feel like you gave it your best effort, and being able to keep up with your hunting companions is part of that. I have also found that getting ready for a hunt is a really good motivator for me to drag my sorry butt out of bed at 4:00AM to work out, which I'm sure you realize you should do anyway, hunting or not. I also find that working out makes me feel like I am actually working toward my goal of being on the hunt-- for elk, for eland or whatever. I feel like I'm getting there, if you can understand me.

Have fun! The planning and anticipation are almost as much fun as the hunt itself.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
Buy shooting sticks...or make your own.

http://www.long-grass.com/shootsticks.

Shoot alot off the sticks and shoot free-hand.

Set the sticks up. Run around get your heart rate going good and then run up the the sticks and practice aquiring the target and making the shot.

LEARN TO RELOAD FAST...FAST 2nd SHOTS.. NO LOOKING FOR THE FIRST SHOT.

If possible, find a brushy area that you can set a target up. Practice shooting thru brush to get you confidence up that the bullet will travel thru the brush to your target.

Keep your rifle in your hands as much as possible. Know how your rifle feels.

Learn to go with the flow and don't have expectations about how each stalk should go. Be prepared for blown stalks.

Be in shape.

Do your research and choose your outfitter and country carefully. Ask alot of questions.

Narrow your focus to what your primary animals are before choosing outfitter and country. Then figure out where to go. Not all areas are equal. Not all countries are equal for certain species.

HAVE FUN... Take time to see that you made it to AFRICA!

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of great advice here.

Study the animals you plan to hunt. You'll seldom see a whole animal clearly if you're hunting the bushveld - more likely an ear, a swishing tail, or a patch of hide. If your guide points over your shoulder and says 'Kudu', you need to know what you're looking for.

Us locals work on the '3 second rule'. Once the animal is aware of you, that's about how long he'll stand around confirming his suspicions (if you're lucky Smiler). Learn to get off an accurate shot from field positions within 3 secs. It's actually plenty of time.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In addition to all the other good advice.Get Kevin Robertsons book on shot placement. Check on the safari press website or go to www.rowlandward.com

And buy yourself a good pair of binoculars to study game when you have the opportunity. There might be a waterhole near the camp with game and it will be a big help to have a good look at them in an unpressurised "non-hunting" type situation. Some hunters have a bad habit of using their scope to check out game. Only point your rifle at animals that you want to shoot - it is not appreciatted if you go around pointing your gun at every animal that you just want to look at. At the same time when you are closing in and the hunt is "on" leave the looking through the binocs to the PH, you must be getting ready to shoot.

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
No matter where you go hunting, or for what species you hunt. Off hand shooting practise is vital. Quick shooting should be practised as well, it can come in handy in certain situations!! As a PH, an essential part of our profession is understanding the client and his shooting ability. Never rush your shot in an attempt to impress yourself or your PH, mistakes can be costly, both financially and perhaps physically. If you feel uneasy with the position you find yourself - TELL THE PH, don't feel pressurised into taking the shot, there is generally plenty of time on your safari to try again.

Probably one of the most important aspects of the hunt is bullet placement. Understand your quarry and his biological assembly. So many clients think a shot on the shoulder will do it!!!! The killing zone is BEYOND the point of bullet impact, and is determined by body position anyway. There are some good illustative books available and would make an ideal Xmas gift - get yourself one, AND study it.

Posts: 534 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
John:

Think also about joining your local Safari Club International chapter and you will then likely meet a lot of people who can help you. The Tallahassee SCI has many experienced hunters for example.

Just joined our local chapter!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil-PH:
No matter where you go hunting, or for what species you hunt. Off hand shooting practise is vital. Quick shooting should be practised as well, it can come in handy in certain situations!! As a PH, an essential part of our profession is understanding the client and his shooting ability. Never rush your shot in an attempt to impress yourself or your PH, mistakes can be costly, both financially and perhaps physically. If you feel uneasy with the position you find yourself - TELL THE PH, don't feel pressurised into taking the shot, there is generally plenty of time on your safari to try again.

Probably one of the most important aspects of the hunt is bullet placement. Understand your quarry and his biological assembly. So many clients think a shot on the shoulder will do it!!!! The killing zone is BEYOND the point of bullet impact, and is determined by body position anyway. There are some good illustative books available and would make an ideal Xmas gift - get yourself one, AND study it.

Good advice, as is Ray's thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
And now the hunt begins for books! archer

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
IMHO, you would be well advised to get that first big game harvest under your belt before trekking over to Africa.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Have someone drive you to the rifle range in a Toyota pick up during the hottest part of the summer. You stand in the back.

Have the driver drop you off a half mile from the range. You jog to the range in your hunting boots lugging a ten pound weight. The driver takes the truck to the range and waits for you with your rifle and shooting sticks.

As soon as you get there, the driver sets up the sticks and you shoot off of them at random 10 inch diameter targets from 20 to 300 yards away.

Repeat as necessary.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
we prctise every month on live size paper targets with the vital marked with a feint red line you cant see 25m. shooting distances range from 25 to 300m depending on the animal and its habitat and the field positions change at every distance its great to practise on better that normal targets if anybody is intrested i will mail you photos of these targets

my email is sabiekwik@polka.co.za drop me a mail and i will reply with the photo

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Have someone drive you to the rifle range in a Toyota pick up during the hottest part of the summer. You stand in the back.

Have the driver drop you off a half mile from the range. You jog to the range in your hunting boots lugging a ten pound weight. The driver takes the truck to the range and waits for you with your rifle and shooting sticks.

As soon as you get there, the driver sets up the sticks and you shoot off of them at random 10 inch diameter targets from 20 to 300 yards away.

Repeat as necessary.

You'll be right, John. Go over there and enjoy yourself.

Big Grin Smiler

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
To add to my earlier post.

I find a great deal of my clients when shooting on the range aim at small targets and concentrate on close grouping.They arrive in Africa saying their weapon is shooting a 2" group at 200 yards - yippee....if you are shooting at a competition!!!

This whole deal ends up with the client heaping a whole bunch of pressure on himself to prove that he can shoot accurately. Guys, your target has a kill zone greater than 2" - generally; so I repeat what I had said earlier....understand your quarry and his biological assembly. A broadside shot on a buffalo at 150 yards offers a target size in excess of 18" x 12".....a relatively simple target considering.....However, buck fever...mmmmmmm.....and there is no practising on how to overcome it either!!

I recall a good friend whom I got to within 25 yards of a buff. He rested the rifle on my shoulder, started shaking so much, I ended up pushing the rifle skyward to prevent him shooting!! It took a good 10 minutes to calm down before he could shoot - I just love it!!!!

Posts: 534 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote