Notify
Tools

Zebra, the new dangerous game
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Zebra bites Ohio man’s arm off

CIRCLEVILLE, Ohio (WCMH) – A man was taken to the hospital Sunday afternoon after a zebra attacked him in Pickaway County, Ohio.

According to an incident report from the Pickaway County Sheriff’s Office, deputies were sent around 5:30 p.m. to a fenced-in field after reports that a man had his arm dismembered by a zebra he owned.

As deputies arrived, they saw the victim lying on the ground with his right arm covered with his sleeve. According to the incident report, dispatch logs said the victim had his arm bitten off by the zebra.

An edited version of deputies’ body camera footage is below.

While deputies were treating the man, the zebra continued acting irate and charged one deputy’s cruiser, which was positioned to block the man from the animal. The man was accompanied by family members as he was being put in an ambulance since the zebra would not stop being hostile.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/zeb...n-arm-174617364.html

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kanec
posted Hide Post
Did they shoot that zebra?
Maybe it was molested and fought back …
Every time I see people being attacked by their own pets it makes me wonder

Posts: 201 | Location: Heart of Europe where East meets the West | Registered: 19 January 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
They killed it. It had 5-6 mares. It kept charging the deputies and one of their cruisers.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I was once charged by a wounded zebra.

I killed it with a hipshot from my .375 inside spitting distance.

I am really glad I did.

When they open their mouths, as they do when running, it's like a man-eating piano is coming at you.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toxic waste spills and now man-eating Zebra. Coincidence?
Ohio is off my summer vacation list either way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Knew they could bite, but surprised that a stallion could sever an arm. Can't imagine one being aggressive outside a paddock.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Horses, donkey and zebras, never underestimate a stallion. Even your long-time pet!

Same goes for bovine. Smiler

Posts: 1094 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Ohio has a history of such:

https://www.reuters.com/articl...dUSTRE79I0U720111019

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Heck of a deal. Ohio Dangerous Game is offering the following

This hunt is for 2 hunters hunting on a 2x1 basis. Ideal for two friends or a husband and wife or father and son - $25,500 per hunter.

The hunt is for 10 days of hunting – 5 days Zebra hunt in Circleville and 5 days Zebra hunt in Roundtown. With 3 to 4 days for transfers to hunt both areas.

The price includes:
-------------------
1 Trophy Maneating Zebra
All road transfers Pick up and drop off to Circleville (charter flights are also available but not included)
Rifle and ammo
Guiding services
Lodging in tented camp in the yard of Red Roof Inn
Soft drinks
Beer and wine

Not Included:
--------------
$200 visitors gun permit
$200 rifle permit if bringing a rifle
$800 dip and pack
Additional trophy and cull Zebra - stallions and mares, old horses, donkeys and pigs available.

Thanks for your time.

Posts: 3512 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert Ruark in one of his books, had a story about a zebra that nearly got to Harry Selby.
I was raised around horses and truly dislike them. They bite, kick, toss you….. I have handled many and have yet to near one I trust.

I suspect zebras are similar but meaner…

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have had many horses over the years. Raised and trained registered quarter horses and paints for many years. Ran outfitted hunts in Canada's back country with horses. I use to do all of our farrier work, etc. Stud horses need to be kept in their place and you always need to be extra cautious when it is breeding season and you are using your stud to do what you have them for...breeding mares.

Wild horses, if you have time to observe them, act the same as zebras. Stallions are very aggressive, and the are constantly keeping everyone in their place and beating the snot out of anything that threatens the herd, or other stallions that they perceive as a threat. Even our own horses would zero in on a bear in the pasture and those poor bruins would run for their lives when they saw the fire breathing equines coming at a full gallop with death and destruction on their minds. LOL

Donkeys are the same, but to a higher level of nasty. Smiler There is a reason people keep them as "guardians" for flocks of sheep, etc. They will bite and kick the ever living crap out of an intruder, be that a neighbours dog, coyote or a bear.

So it comes as no surprise that a zebra stallion would be very aggressive while running with a bunch of mares. They are still very much wild creatures at heart, even when kept in a fenced pasture. Kind of like running a herd of bison. Still wild and can never be trusted. You can't have these sorts of animals and wander around with your head up your ass.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote