New
Find
Notify
Tools

Every Squatter to get an Elephant?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Don't know if this has been talked about on the forum yet, since I've been in Zim for the past three weeks. But while I was there, all the talk was of the government's plan to keep from having to cull up to 100,000 elephants by giving one elephant to each "new farmer" (squatter) to take care of on his 252 acres of land.

Folks in camp were dying of laughter at the thought of these guys, most of whom never having seen an elephant, trying to contain and maintain one on 250 acres of land. Everybody was hoping that the plan would acutually be put into action, since this would definitely reduce the number of squatters currently occupying the farms.

The alarming thing, however, was the number of elephants slated for culling. This would reduce the country's current heard by about 80 percent to make way for "new farmers." This is a government completely out of control!

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
Everybody was hoping that the plan would acutually be put into action, since this would definitely reduce the number of squatters currently occupying the farms.

My thoughts exactly. Might definitely solve the squatter problem.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be too concerened as I don't think that Parks has the know how to catch and move 10 elephants much less 80,000.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good idea. If the Zim goverment thinks you can treat a elephant like a pet, let them try. Their coffee might be cold by the time they wake up.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The African elephant could be used on farms or in industry much as the Indian elephant has been. The idea that the African elephant is untrainable is false and even today, at least one company is offering elephant-back safari's in the Okovango (sp?) area I believe.

Of course such a venture would have to start small and would take years to build up to any numbers or to have worth while economic impact..I could also suggest that such a venture would have more chance of success in Alaska than in Zim!

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I almost forgot. Once the "New Farmer" has his elephant, he can then sell it to a safari hunter for whatever price he can get for it.

Don't know about you guys, but I've already got my checkbook out! Wink

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
want to see my new elephant........got him tied up out back next to my dog.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just don't think that plan is workable. Let's give em each a black mamba. Wink

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote