THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Some musings on the Reno convention.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some musings on the Reno convention.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here are a few impressions/opinions of different things seen and heard at SCI-Reno:

To my surprise, many of the Dangerous Game PH/Outfitters I talked to had way too high of an opinion of themselves. Some were downright rude if they thought you were not going to book with them. This was especially true of PHs from Zimbabwe. The Tanzania/Botswana folks were mostly very friendly, albeit expensive! (when all costs were considered). Exceptions were Jumbo Moore (with whom I booked a safari), who was as jolly and genuine as anyone I ever met, and Rob and Barry Styles of Buffalo Range Safaris, with whom I would have booked had they had an opening. In fact, I have it in my mental notes to someday do a safari with them -- They are delightful folks, who were friendly to me even AFTER they knew I had booked with Jumbo (they are best mates).

Granite Mountain likes their actions -- alot! I could go on a couple of safaris and still have enough left over to buy a CZ to shoot elephant with for just the cost of one barrelled action. (Maybe a slight exageration.)

Butch Searcy is a really nice guy, who builds a very nice rifle.

The fresh-squeezed lemonade they sell at the show is to die for!

There are too many really Bad pieces of art priced over $15,000. Unfortunately, the really good pieces of art I wanted were similarly priced.

There are more trophy wives (girlfriends?) than trophy mounts. (or maybe those WERE trophy mounts)

I would be happy to share a campfire with any of the 30 AR members who gathered at the Barns Booth.

GAH

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My impression:

1. SCI can do us all a favor by skipping the art, jewelry and fur coats. (And by banning Out of Africa). It would be a better show if it could be fit into one exhibition hall, and I think this could be accomplished by eliminating the fluff.

2. Nice actions to be found from Granite Mountain and Waffenfabrik Hein.

3. Prototype .550 Magnum shown at the Waffenfabrik Hein booth, with gunsmith Mike Scherz willing to serve all interested customers.

4. Some fine doubles at decent prices at the Jeffery booth.

5. As always, Ryan Breeding had fantastic big bore bolt guns to show.

6. An interesting action development was shown at the Searcy booth. I don't really understand it, but it was something like a double sear boxlock action that CANNOT be fired unless the trigger is being pulled. Forgive my poor explanation of the concept.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GAHunter

Yeah we were calling it the 80/20 club!

I've never seen so many 80 year old men with 20 year old wives! Smiler

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carmelolisciotto:
GAHunter

Yeah we were calling it the 80/20 club!

I've never seen so many 80 year old men with 20 year old wives! Smiler

Next thing you know they'll be giving their ages by generation count!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You guys complaining or just envious? Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PURE ENVY!!!

I wish I had the money to book the hunts these guys were booking!

As for the 20 year olds? Well.... Im doing good with my wife right now.
Maybe after I get a buff I'll look for a trophy girlfriend Smiler

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And there I was thinking how nice it was that so many men brought their daughters with them.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So have you got any "trophy" photos? eek2

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

-Bob F. Big Grin

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
1. SCI can do us all a favor by skipping the art, jewelry and fur coats.

I'm not into fur coats and jewelry, but I love the art. I don't ask for the prices, but the show is one of the places where they bring some of the best together (and some lesser gods), for the average guy to enjoy. It is the annual membership convention, and not everybody is looking for a hunt. I don't bowhunt, so maybe they should close the archery pavillion. Or maybe not. I like the diversity.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frans

I like the diversity as well, there was an equal share of blondes and brunettes Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with Frans. The fur coats, art, etc. gives my wife something to enjoy at the show. A happy means more hunting trips!

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.C:
The fur coats, art, etc. gives my wife something to enjoy at the show. A happy [wife] means more hunting trips!

In a marriage with the authority properly structured, the husband gets as much hunting as he wants.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
80 Year old men with 20 year old "wives", I think not, remember what happens in Reno, stays in Reno...Anyway that is kinda like a dog chasing cars, if they caught one they wouldn't know nor remember what to do with it! At that age a good dump is about as exciting as sex! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man Ray, if a good dump is all I got to look foreward to then just gut shoot me now Razzer

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:

Exceptions were Jumbo Moore (with whom I booked a safari), who was as jolly and genuine as anyone I ever met, and Rob and Barry Styles of Buffalo Range Safaris, with whom I would have booked had they had an opening. In fact, I have it in my mental notes to someday do a safari with them -- They are delightful folks, who were friendly to me even AFTER they knew I had booked with Jumbo (they are best mates).

There are more trophy wives (girlfriends?) than trophy mounts. (or maybe those WERE trophy mounts)

GAH

Rob wasn't in Reno - he is in Germany at their Show. Barry was there with his wife Kim, and PH Brent Leesmay. But...they are great folks. I hunted with them last year, and I am hunting with them in May for buffalo and sable. I'd highly recommend them both for their ethics and for their hunting ability.

And....those aren't trophy wives - those are their "nieces" Smiler

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carmelolisciotto:
I like the diversity as well, there was an equal share of blondes and brunettes Smiler

Did anybody buy any raffle tickets off those friendly ladies in the leopard print outfits? Big Grin

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
<DETCORD>
posted
THE CONVENTION WAS VERY INTERESTING, AND PEOPLE WATCHING WAS CONSTANT ENTERTAINMENT. I HAD MY LIST OF OUTFITTERS THAT I HAD COMMUNICATED WITH VIA E-MAIL, AND WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING THEM PERSONALLY. I WALKED BY THESE OUTFITTERS A FEW TIMES BEFORE I ACTUALLY APPROACHED THEM, AS I WANTED TO SEE HOW THEY TREATED POTENTIAL CLIENTS AT THEIR BOOTHS. MOST WERE PROFESSIONAL AND POLITE, A FEW WERE RUDE AND POORLY MANNERED, MAKING INSULTING REMARKS AFTER THE PERSON LEFT THIER BOOTH. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I DID NOT BOTHER TO DEAL WITH THESE OUTFITTERS. ONE OUTFITTER I WAS INTERESTED IN HAD A PRIME LOCATION, EXPENSIVE BROCHURES ENCLOSED IN A ELEPHANT DUNG FOLDER, BUT EVERY OTHER WORD OUT OF THE CO-OWNER'S MOUTH WAS F*** THIS AND F*** THAT. AGAIN, THEY WERE OFF MY LIST AND LOST A POTENTIAL CLIENT DUE TO HIS UNPROFESSIONALISM. OVERALL, THE CONVENTION WAS VERY INTERESTING, AND MY PERSONAL HIGHLIGHT WAS MEETING FIONA CAPSTICK, WHO IS A BEAUTIFUL AND CHARMING WOMAN.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Did anybody buy any raffle tickets off those friendly ladies in the leopard print outfits? Big Grin

Frans[/QUOTE]

I think it's called marketing Wink I was about to go for a chance at the hunt, but I noticed that if you bought 5 ($500), you got lunch with Gen Schwarzkoff (sp?). With the number of folks buying 5 or more, my chances of winning that hunt were slight to none.

Did anyone notice the marketing efforts just inside the entrance, anyone buy any calandars Smiler Smiler

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Those jewelry and fur booths are an essential part of the show. After you book your safari, you are obligated to pick up something for the little woman to keep her happy. My wife and I as usual do everything backasswards. She started trying on furs "just for fun" and found a lynx/fox vest that she fell in love with. When she batted those baby-blues at me imploringly, I said OK. Then we had to find a hunt to go on. Red stag, Argentina'06 here we come. Keep the jewelry and fur booths Smiler
Russ

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

You are correct in that I did not talk to Rob, only Barry. It's just that anytime anyone mentions them, they mention them as a pair.

I can only assume that Rob is as outgoing as his brother. From what I have heard from folks who have hunted with them, he is.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeff,

You are correct in that I did not talk to Rob, only Barry. It's just that anytime anyone mentions them, they mention them as a pair.

I can only assume that Rob is as outgoing as his brother. From what I have heard from folks who have hunted with them, he is.

Actually, Rob is even funnier than Barry. You get them together, and it's like Laurel & Hardy. They are great guys- but if you hunt with them and ever miss an animal - you will be razzzed to death. Their favorite saying is - "as long as there is lead in the air - there's hope!". I understand their dad Clyde was a great guy too. Booking a hunt with them is always a treat.

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jim,

I didn't buy the calendar, but I sure enjoyed the RACKS.

Bryan

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan W:
Hey Jim,

I didn't buy the calendar, but I sure enjoyed the RACKS.

Bryan

Worth the price of admission jump

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Barry Styles of Buffalo Range Safaris, with whom I would have booked had they had an opening. In fact, I have it in my mental notes to someday do a safari with them -- They are delightful folks, who were friendly to me even AFTER they knew I had booked with Jumbo (they are best mates).

I've hunted with the Styles on 5 safaris, going again this year, and Yes, Jumbo is a really good hearted guy!
(or maybe those WERE trophy mounts)

I would be happy to share a campfire with any of the 30 AR members who gathered at the Barns Booth.

GAH

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's hope we all get the chance to share that campfire.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote