THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What makes a good Wildebeest- how do you measure them?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What makes a good Wildebeest- how do you measure them?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hhmag:
That black wildebeest was shot on the concession you will be hunting on. Effing monsters there. Also took 2 18" plus blesboks there and a 37" waterbuck. Don't say the name of the place...my secret Razzer

Not One Word! Cool

E F Bell
Bucks County, PA
Hunting nut
NRA Life Member
Rookie Africa Hunter

one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Mike, a really good black wildebeest can be a little difficult to judge. I have seen cows with headgear every bit as big as the bulls in some herds. What I look for is the dip rather than the tip. I want to see the top of the horn at the bottom of the dip (inside of the curve) go lower than the eye. A bull that does this , even if his tips are worn down, will have good mass and make a great trophy. I have seen many a bull with tips come back over the top of the horn (without good dip) that measure only 23 or 24. The best combo is the ones that have the inside of the curve below eye level and the tips even with the top of the bosses. Good combo of mass and length.

I look for the same in blues, the inside of the curve. It should be at the tip of the ear or past. White beardeds seldom get that big, but most others can. When the tip of the ear and the inside of the curve are even, the bull will generally go in the 27 to 29 class, as has been my experience.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Here's a Blue Wildebeest I shot that has a 30" spread. I don't know what it measures tip-to-tip or what the overall score is.

Holly shot this big boy. The spread was 29" and it measured 47 6/8" tip-to-tip with 6 2/8" bosses. The total SCI score was 60 2/8".

She shot this magnificent Black Wildebeest in the Eastern Cape earlier this year. It measured 59 6/8" tip-to-tip with 12 6/8" bosses. The total SCI score was 85 2/8".

NRA, GOA, & SCI Life Member
www.scilowcountry.org

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote