New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion mount
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got a call yesterday from our local taxidermist, he said he was ready to start work on our african lion. Problem is I have know idea how I want it mounted. LaRita wants to do a life size mount and was thinking with our small den maybe have it laying in the floor, McKenzie form AFL-71. I'm still open to suggestions and have been looking for photos on the net this morning without much luck. Whats your favorite lion mount? Photos please.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Saw a pedestal mount of a lion's head at DAllas sticking up out of the long grass this is what I am going to do if I get one this summer... Looked good....

Mike

sorry no photo

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a lionness that I am still waiting on to be shipped. I plan on doing a rug with the head done. If I had a male lion, I would do I life size mount of some kind. Most likely some type of scene with the lion hunting.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Floor mount, jumping out of a corner of the room with claws extended and mouth open as in the last leap of a charge.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Check out number 13: http://www.animalartistry.com/taxidermy.php

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I have both leopard and lion mounts and one's we like the best, take up the least floor space and still do the cats the most justice are the sitting mounts. Atcheson's Taxidermy is finishing a second leopard for me in that style and if I get another lion in '07 I'll do it that way also. There is no need for a spendie enviroment and the mount is completely portable for cleaning or whatever.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for looking at Animal Artistry. I love the way they do cats! My favorite lion is the sneak position.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
I just recieved my lioness from my 2004 Safari. I'm trying to decide whether
to go with a rug (with classic open mouth) like David Culpepper was mentioning above, or
do a life size. I also think the "sneak" pose looks really nice with a lion.
With the price of lion hunts anymore, I might not get a chance at a big male?
Just depends on the room/location I guess

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just recieved my lioness from my 2004 Safari. I'm trying to decide whether
to go with a rug (with classic open mouth) like David Culpepper was mentioning above, or
do a life size.

Jungleboy!

Your crazy if you do a rug! First, a Lion is such a incredable animal, it wouldn't do justice to it by making a rug! Please don't say you don't have room for a lifesize, a rug takes up more room then a lifesize.

Second, the way things are going with Lion hunting, a lifesize will keep going up in value, not saying a rug won't. But a lifesize will be worth a hell of a lot more then a rug1

Do a lifesize mount! Do it Justice!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of pictures of my lion.
Animal Artistry did the work and I am well pleased

Posts: 10 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The lion looks great. I had a question about it though. Did you comb his mane??
I have never seen a mane look that good, most of the time you see them they are ruffled, or have a few sticks stuck in them. Its a great mount, but the mane almost looks out of place because its so nice.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Here is a Lion I mounted lying down, if you are trying to save space, even if there is no habitat, I would not suggest doing it lying down. The standing mount in the previous photos would be a better idea.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice work Jerry!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
LaRita wants to do a life size mount

I'd listen to your wife. Lion hunting is not a cheap thing. To take such a fine animal and not do a lifesize mount is unfair to the king of beasts. I'd get rid of a sofa if I had to.

I think a walking pose, like he was patrolling his territory, mouth slightly ajar panting, would make a nice mount.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did my lion with a hyena, the lion chasing the hyena and reaching out grabbing hold of him. It's mounted in a sort of a circle to save room, and it takes up about a 7x7 area.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote