Find
Notify
Tools

"Thank you, Old Boy"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://huntnetwork.net/modules...ankyou,old%20Boy.pdf

Here is the link from our 2005 trip to Zim for leopard. The story was published in African Hunter and I thought some of you might enjoy the read.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9477 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Rick outstanding read. What memories.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Kathi that was an awesome hunt and I enjoyed the article very much! All of those eyes shining back might make one have a chill. Are you about to get me set for my trip to Zim in May, 2011? Big Grin

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and wonderfull article. Thanks for posting.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Fantastic hunt! Close range confrontations with elephant, lion & leopard packed into about 10 days!

Thanks for sharing

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11183 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Very cool read. Thanks for sharing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kathy, thanks!! That is an unbelievable story.

Do you have any additional photo's that you can post here? I would love to see more, especially of that skull/teeth.

I have done a bit of Leopard research in the past, and although I am no expert, I can tell you that that Leopard is most likely 9 to 11 or even 12 years old which is ancient for a wild Leopard. Look at how worn down the lower canines are...they are almost nubs. Due to old age (like us!) teeth become brittle and this is most likely why the uppers are broken.

It proves what an efficient predator/scavenger the Leopard is...messed-up teeth, lame foot and all, his body seems to be in fine condition.

Also, that is a HUGE skull size! Do you know what he weighed??

See, you got me all worked-up!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post, Kathi. It reminds me that leopard is on my wish list.
We'll visit soon about March flights.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent account and fantasticd leopard!! Kathi, I loved your zebra too!

Congratulations! D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Kathi..how about the weight??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leopardtrack,

172 pounds scaled weight.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9477 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Just another "dull" hunt. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do plan to stand up and take a bow for defending Kathi when she was under attack for painting "gloomy" pictures of Africa in her absolutely realistic reports of what the interior African bush can be like. Smiler (In only one brief month, I saw it) I am delighted to read that her husband uses the word "shumba" (the word I learned for lion) Now comes my apology and opportunity to "eat crow". (For non- Americans -it means that I was very wrong about something) I always suspected (and heard) that bait hunting in Africa over leopard could be very "tricky" as we Americans say (meanng that anything could go wrong - I heard about snakes coming along) - where I owe an apology is because on a different thread I practically treated lion hunters over bait as almost like shooting fish in a barrel. After reading this post about what can come up with a bait stand for a leopard - I now realize how stupid I was in announcing that anyone who shot at lions over bait was not really out hunting Leo.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote