Notify
Tools

How Big is yours
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted
I have a few questions
1. how big is the property where you hunt that is close to home (not african safaries)

2. how many hunters is there on a saturday in hunting season?

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. About 94,000 square miles

2. Sometimes I don't see another human.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
In Arizona, we count our hunting areas by the number of mountain ranges in our game management units, and not by acres or square miles. We may have a lot of people hunting these areas, but it is not difficult to avoid them.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a wood lot of 160 acres in Pa and on the first day of whitetail deer season there are usually 6 of us hunting and we don't get in each others way. It is much different in the eastern US. You don't cover the area you do in the west or Africa. The deer stay in a much smaller area.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hunting lease in Junction, Texas is 5400 acres and we have 17 members hunting.

Posts: 42337 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1.6 Million acres of heavily timbered Willamette National Forest.

"Isn't it pretty to think so."

Posts: 148 | Location: Cascade Foot Hills | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know...thousands of square miles and there are hunters around but the farther you go the less you see (like anywhere else).

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This may come as a surprise but there is actually more huntable open land in the USA than there is in Africa.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I own 80 acres and I am the only one to hunt there.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
99% of Alaska is federal public land and it's a sizable piece of real estate.

When Buzz heard this he almost choked on his olive...

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
5,420 ac. family farm and ranch, been in my family since 1890's. Me, my brother and bother in law and 3 nephews.

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have 300 acres in Kentucky, hunted by myself and either a friend or relative. I also have access to 132 acres in Ohio, hunted by the owner and myself.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
172 acres and only me. Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
My son, brother, and I hunt 850 acres in eastern Texas and 1500 acres in NW Oklahoma.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
375 Fanatic:

I live and hunt in a geographical area covering 600,000 square km with a population ( 2006 sensus) of only 289,044 . Most of this population live on the few small towns that are found on the main ( and only) roads in and out of the North.

The interesting thing is up north where we live there are no fences next to the roads, nor are there really farms or small holdings, once you leave City limits in the small towns you are in the bush, literally !

We more than often hunt in areas so remote the only way to get in is by float plane or by boat and it is remote, to the extent that if you get into trouble weather wise or should encounter a sudden medical emergency you are really in trouble. Whereas survival in Africa more than often revolves around lack of water, here the killer is cold and wet, it takes no prisoners.

The whole Province is 948,191 square km vs South Africa's 1,221,040 square km. The whole province only has 4.38 million people and it's estimated that the majority of people live within 100 km of the US border.

600,000 K's squared is about 48,263,228.88 acres. Yep, B.C. offers great hunting!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My home province of Saskatchewan, Canada is 588,000 Km2 of which 3/4 is public land. Basically the area of public land is roughly the size of Zimbawe with 1/15 th of the population. Our game laws allow hunting on any private land that is not posted otherwise, providing that you stay 500 meters from occupied buildings. I own 320 acres, but really that's just a drop in the bucket. I had never even seen a game fence before going to Africa.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I hunt 121 acres with a 25 acre cypress break in the center with national forest boardering 3 sides. Except for the out-laws only 4 of us hunt at any one time.

Hoping to buy an additional 40 acres next to us.

Posts: 6 | Location: Alexandria, LA | Registered: 06 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
It depends on what and where I'm hunting. On my own land it's 160 acres and I (and my friends) am the only hunter. Elsewhere, it's on grazing leases (10s of thousands of acres) and other hunters, but the prairie swallows them up.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In NZ you can get a free permit to hunt on most Department of Conservation (ie public) land. So there are millions of acres, with no closed season for deer or pigs etc.
I can have an hours drive to the Ruahine Ranges which must be hundreds of thousands of acres and not see another hunter. Or with me crashing about, another deer Big Grin
Permission to hunt on farmland is easy enough, and that will fill your freezer with fallow deer.
And importantly most people have a good attitude about hunters and hunting too. We're pretty lucky...

Posts: 120 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 August 2007Reply With Quote