THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What Bullet for Use in Large Case 375 Caliber, on Buffalo and Sable?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Bullet for Use in Large Case 375 Caliber, on Buffalo and Sable?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
I have received a number of PM to elaborate on the 375 on bison.

I was using the improved magnum case. 2800 fps possible with a Bitteroot or Sierra, 2,700 fps with most other 300 grain (TBBC, NF included).

2975 fps with 275 grain Bitterroot, up to 3150 fps with 250 grain. But usually loaded down to 3050 with faster powder due to muzzle blast and recoil with H-205 (yes that dates me).

The Bitterroots expand to about one inch diamter and have 90-95 % weight retention. It is the original bonded core bullet, unfortunately no longer available as Mr. Steigers has retired.

They have a thick, ductile pure copper jacket shaped into a V-shaped profile so they expand quickly then are slowed down by the thicker jacket near the base. Jacket is 0.065 inch thick at heel.

Most impressive is the fact it will kill a bison shooting front on or side on into chest w one shot. They are dead by the time you walk up to them. Also true of smaller game.

I have always been fascinated by the fact a .300 wont kill them even w shot to spine w one shot. Yet a .338 will. And get this, a 35 whelan is as good as the much faster .338.

This suggests frontal area is as important as velocity.

But dont get carried away. A .50 and .54 muzzle loader, or 12 ga with slug are a terrible bison gun. Not really even humane to use in my opinion. So frontal area alone is not enough.

The medium bores, and 375 in particular, just have a combination of FA and velocity that makes the 375 very effective on bison.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Well if you were confused when you posted your question, I'm betting you are now inasmuch as everyone offers you a different bullet! hammering

Your choice of the 350 gr. woodleigh is a great one if you use the PP as opposed to the softer RN..

Northfork will soon be out with the old line of bullets that Mike had and the old North Fork cup point is, IMO, the best buffalo bullet in any caliber from 9.3x62 on up..Thier softs are one of my favorites.

But the bottom line is there are a lot of bullets out there today that will work in your RUM, just be sure its a super premium. They are:

North Forks
GS Customs
Woodleighs
Barnes X
Swift
Noslers
The above are just for starters, there are more and you gotta give credit to todays bullet makers, they done went an dunnit up good!

It ain't like the old days I guarentee you that, I remember when bullet failure was the rule..

Big Grin

Thanks Ray. thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's your Roo killin' bullet Blair... Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker Big Grin

Might even knock over the odd Buff clap

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

My choice of bullet for Africa would be as follows:

First choice would be those made of pure copper, like the Barnes X and others.

Second choice would be those that have a solid rear shank. Like the Bear Claws and Jensen bullets.

Third choice would be the partitions, like the Swift A-Frame and Noslers.

Where do bonded core bullets fall into your list? (Accubond, Interbond)

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone try the 270gr TSX on buff and/or Sable? Seems to me that the added velocity would provide a flatter trajectory in a 375 "improved" and also have very good penetration.

Thoughts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every time this subject comes up, I am a voice crying out in the wilderness. But, here I go again:

A-Square Monolithic (or Dead Tough, if you need expanding). Heaviest weight appropriate for the calibre. Velocity decreases with distance; mass does not.

The TSX is superb, so long as you are SURE that it will feed reliably in your bolt gun.

Gents, we are perilously close to re-opening the Roy Weatherby (often wrong but never in doubt) issue of speed v. mass. Before we start: I vote with Elmer Keith.

Good hunting.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A dear friend of mine has probably shot more buff than any man alive, I am starting to wonder how he survived all those years with archaic bullets that actually have lead in them. Confused