THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What started your affair with african hunting?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What started your affair with african hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My best friend moved to Liberia in 1980 when I was 8 and I have since been sorta obsessed with all things African...it's all Gerald's fault! hunting came later with the article on Mini-Sniping by Capstick...I wondered who he was and bingo...

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Books by J.A. Hunter, Jack O'Connor's magazine articles, and Wally Tabor's adventure films planted the seeds, but it was C.J. McElroy who got me to Africa.

After he hired me to edit SCI's Safari Magazine and record books, the South African government's tourism department invited me on a 14-day press tour that included visits to all of that country's major parks in 1983 and a one-day gemsbok and springbok hunt near Kimberley.

Mac, who couldn't imagine anyone going to Africa for the first time without hunting dangerous game, lined up a buffalo, sable, kudu safari for me in Zimbabwe before the South African tour.

After that first trip, I definitely was hooked. I returned 21 more times.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I was hooked from the minute I saw my first Kudu on TV. It became and obsession that I did not think would ever happen. I assumed it would be more costly than hunting AK and Canada like I was used to doing. Then my good friend Rocky M. who has been to the dark continent several times got into the finances and logistics of Africa and before long my first Safari was booked with the Rudman's in RSA. Then the obsession continued this year with a trip to hunt with the Bridger's at Kanana. I am now hooked more than ever but cannot go back until I can pursue my dream species, the Cape Buffalo.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Movies like HATARI, OUT OF AFRICA and "BORN FREE" with its beginning scene of tracking man eating lion with English double) certainly helped.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't come from a hunting family so I came to hunting rather late. I did some bird hunting in my late 30's but that was only about once a year. My older brother started hunting white tails and for some, unknown, reason decided to go on a safari in Botswana. He got hooked. Returned and made an investment in a road building firm there. After that he was over there 3-4 times a year. After putting up with his badgering for about 4 years I told my wife that I would go on a safari and shut him up. I proceeded to land in the Okavango Delta and, on the same day, shot my first trophy that didn't have feathers on it: a cape buffalo. That 10 day hunt was magic. For most of it I hunted 1x1 as David has business to attend to. Fortunately I had 4 days when I hunted with my brother. I treasure those days as 2 years later he died of cancer. When I returned to finalize the sale of his business a year later I was accompanied by my two sons. I treasure that hunt as much as the first. Two more hunts followed, all in the Delta with some plains game at a ranch in the Kalahari near Ghanzi. This year I plan to to go on my 5th safari, to Zim, as the Delta is essentially closed. Each night I'm in camp I look up at the southern cross and look forward to the day in the, hopefully far, future when I will again share a campfire with my brother David.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I`ve always loved the outdoors-the wildlife or nature.Hunting and guns have been in the family for generations and that is what exposed me to it in the beginning.I knew a long time ago that I wanted to make the outdoors part of my life.I have always been interested somewhat in Africa but never thought of hunting there.Hunting small game and the whitetail deer was exciting enough for me.Unfortunately things were becoming too private and finding a good,inexpensive place to hunt was becoming difficult.Caribou hunting offered alot to me and I took that up to my complete satisfaction.Target shooting made the hunt last all year long and I took great joy in that.I then discovered AR and that exposed me to African hunting.It also gave me a place to hang out.I also enjoyed watching Mutual of Omahas wild kingdom and the untamed world with my grandmother on Sunday nights.She really enjoyed those shows.I also remember walking six blocks, to the nearest covenience store in the freezing cold to buy the latest copy of Peterson`s hunting.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As so many others, I was around 8 & watching Tarzan & American Sporstman when The "dream of Africa"started.
Then working & raising my own family (reality) set in & paying the bills took precedent over childhood dreams.
Later my wife & I got into the conv. store business & our sons left home & started their own lives.
One night while watching one of the outdoor shows on TV, one of the host stated that you could go to Africa for what a guided elk hunt cost in the states. I almost jumped out of my chair! Really, an African PG safari for what an elk hunt cost. I had to research this.
He may have exagerated a little, but he was in the ball park.
About the same time I realized that I would retire all of my business debt in 2 more years.
I started planning my "I'm outa debt party".
After many months of planning & researching for my first safari, I thought it would be a good idea to inform my wife where I would be for a couple of weeks in the near future. Thinking I would be told something about being crazy or stupid or wasteful or any other combinations of things I'd been called before, I bravley manned up & told her. Instead of hearing something negative, she simply said "I want to go too".
After our first safari, she pushed me to book our second while at the DSC conv., then while drinking margaritas on an empty stomach she talked me into booking our third safari only hours after booking our second. MAN OH MAN I LOVE THIS WOMAN!!!
Now again with her repeating how much she misses Africa I've succombed to the pressures of keeping her happy & booked our forth safari for this July. Did I mention that I love this woman?
This is a great thread, thanks for starting it.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read Capstick back when he wrote for guns and ammo. I was about 12 when I decided I wanted to hunt cape buffalo. I saw Young Winston and Zulu when I was a boy and I read everything on the Boer War and South African history. then, I started reading of the Rhodesian Bush War in SOF. I went to South Africa in 2000 and toured battlefields. Year before last, I went to DSC for the first time. Before I left, I was making arrangements for a hunt. This year, I will go back and hunt again.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although an european hunter for birds , wild boars and deers since i was young , i flew first time to Africa In 96 for a plainsgame hunt in South Africa. In 1997 i shot my first leopard in Namibia just ocasionally and from that moment........i have done 42 African safaris !!!! Dangerous game is my addiction and i live for my family and for my hunting.
In saying that i strongly believe Mr. Spots was the cause of my "disease".
A tremendous 2013 is what i wish to all hunters of the world - keep together for our legacy .

Posts: 208 | Location: PortugaL | Registered: 10 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When i was young i read ruark books and outdoor life and dreamed. Not having any money met it would never happen. As i grew up and things got better I had the chance to go to a S.C.I. convention in reno with some friends. At the day auction after a drink or 2 I raised my hand and bought a plains game hunt . This was just after 911 and i really didnt think i would get it but the first bid was the last one ! If you look in the trophy room post under my name you will see I fell in love with africa and cant wait to get back as much as possible!

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
In September 1990 a good friend of mine went on a 'buff hunt in Zambia. He was the first friend of min that went on such a hunt. It happens that he hit the ground DRT of a heart attack on the first day of his hunt. He was 45 years old.

I ended up with his rifle and a lot of soul searching about going on an African hunt. It had always seemed to me as something that 'other people' did. But I said to heck with it (worrying about bills and how to pay for it) and went ahead and signed on the dotted line to go on a plains game hunt in Namibia. Took that trip in 1996 and have returned seven more times. The rifle my friend dropped that day and never had a chance to take anything with has since accounted itself quite well; several dozen plains game trophies and a tusked elephant.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt
Sorry about your friend, but you have done a good job of honoring him.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Frustration. I grew up in Ethiopia with only a catty (and later a break-over one-pump pellet gun). Thirty years later, this missionary kid addressed the situation -- okay, started to.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Cant remember how old I were but under 18. My sister moved to Africa and she wanted me to visit her there. We spent over a month in Ivory Coast and she wanted me to see the "real Africa" so only public transport etc around the country. It changed my life forever!

I try to go once a year, shooting things or not doesn't really matter, just being there is enough.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
... I grew up in Ethiopia with only a catty (and later a break-over one-pump pellet gun)...

What's a "catty"?

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dmitriy
posted Hide Post
"Hunter" by J.A. Hunter. It was translated and pubished in Russia in 1960. I read it when I was a child and that was the beginning

Posts: 43 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dmitriy: "Hunter" by J.A. Hunter....I read it when I was a child and that was the beginning
Ditto.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
quote:
... I grew up in Ethiopia with only a catty (and later a break-over one-pump pellet gun)...

What's a "catty"?

It is a form of sling made from the skin of a cat, a decent stone is placed in the "head skin." It is then gripped by the rear rear legs and tail and swung like a sling. Big Grin

Catty = catapult. African English Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, sir! I wasn't sure if it was African English or Texan English! Big Grin

Finally...a use for cats!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am different than most in my feelings. I have been a hunter my entire life from guiding and outfitting to just being a passionate hunter. I never had a burning desire to hunt Africa, but then an opportunity came just before I was 50, after 40 years of hunting. I went to Mozambique and had the overwhelming sensation that I had, "come home". That is when it happened for me.
Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunsCore:
I got invited to a local SCI chapter's annual auction and it was a three Margarita decision.

Like you, I also picked up my first hunt at an SCI banquet. One too many Scotches. And it has been downhill from there. Sold half of my gun collection, most of them were collectibles thankfully, that I had never shot just acquired and they have taken me on 5 different trips. Going on the 6th next year in Zim again. Then I guess its back to selling guns to finance my habit.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tarzan, Wilbur Smith, Peter Capstick and Robert Ruark.......HATARI!

I started hunting with my Grandad.....one of those underprivledged children of a broken home... Wink

I had an incredible childhood, I don't remember my first hunting trip, nothing fancy, just hunting. Ducks, Geese, squirrels, deer and rabbits. But always dreaming of Cape Buffalo......

Sure wish Gramps was still around so I could take him to Africa.......he would have loved it...every bit of it.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
What started my affair with Africa?

All of you knuckleheads. Although I've hunted pretty much my whole life, and read of far-off places and their animals, I never seriously considered an African hunt until I stumbled upon Accurate Reloading and started reading all the tales posted here. I got hooked on the idea, sold my truck, banked all the payments I would have made, and within a couple years booked my first safari for plains game in Namibia. I took my dad and we had the times of our lives. Sure hope to return for DG in the future...

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
quote:

What's a "catty"?

Really? South African for slingshot (catapult). Old Texas term would be n_____ shooter, but I only got here in 1979 and am far too young to speak like old folks. This is the Africa forum so catch up -- Scriptus is "having you on".

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was sitting in science class in eighth grade. Mr. Fischer seated us alphabetically from left to right. Susan sat beside me. She was lovely! Blonde hair, blue eyes, lovely smile. The most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Levers and pulleys blurred in the background. She noticed I was staring. I had the suave moves of Ralphie in the Christmas story. I blubbered something about the book she was reading. It was a really thick book with a funny name. She told me it was about Africa and she was almost finished with it. Maybe I would like it. I found it in the library at the study hall a day later. It was ‘Uhuru’ by Robert Ruark. The depth of friendship between Brian Dermott and Kidogo struck a note. Ruark brought the Kenyan bush alive for me. A place I wanted to be. Susan went on to other things; science became the focus of much of my life; but Africa, it’s dust, smoke, people, animals and hunting float through my head, like dust moats in the sunlight, to this day.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa was something other people did. I hunted my entire life literally as soon as I got my first bb gun I was turned loose to hunt in the mesquite filled rolling plains of Texas. I have hunted whitetail, trained dogs, hunted waterfowl and quail when they were still around, the hunts of regular folks. I could envision hunting elk, and have 3 years in a row, but not Africa. My wife grew up traveling, not wealthy, but more financially comfortable than my family.
Our youngest son was graduating high school and we had long planned on a trip as a graduation present for each boy. This one is a hunter. You could set him in a deer blind when he was young in the dark and come back and get him in the dark and he was a happy young man. So, she proposed a safari for a graduation present. And set me to work planning.
I went to a local taxidermist/booking agent after doing some research and really not getting anywhere. I went local in hopes of getting what we were promised. We did not, the booking agent was less than honorable. The safari operator in Namibia told me up front that in Africa you do not pay for anything until you have received it, needless to say we did not get what we paid for.
It was a great trip in spite of the unethical booking agent and questionable safari operator. You do judge a man by his friends and associates!
We all have memories for a lifetime, and multitudes of pictures. My son, my wife - who is not a hunter- and I are planning a return trip. It was a remarkable experience. One I hope to expand in the future now that the bar is set.
I am not sure I am in "love" with Africa, but I sure am infatuated and looking forward to a return trip.

Posts: 36 | Location: Texas & New Mexico | Registered: 01 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently started hunting in the last 8 years. About six years ago my wife and i were sitting at home, and i told her about the commercial I heard on the radio about the DSC show that weekend. We went to the show and I realized that I could afford to go to Africa. I also bought several books about africa hunting at that time. Since then i have added several books. I booked my first hunt at the show last year. I figured it would be something I could wait on, but in the near future I will have three kids in private school, and going to Aftica will be a lot harder, so i decided to go now.

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think my grandmother knew quite what to do with me. So to keep me from underfoot when I was about 8 years old, she gave me a leather-bound copy of African Game Trails to read while I was at her house. When I first read that book, I knew I would get to Africa some day. I still have what's left of that book and my African library has grown considerably since.

When one of my best friends dropped dead unexpectedly, the decision was made and the first trip booked. I've only been four times at this point, but will be finalizing plans for for 2013 and 2014 this weekend at DSC.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marlin Perkins...no that's not quite right. I watched Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom when I was (very) young. Seems like I have always been fascinated by the African animals.

My family were always bird hunters...seemed like our world revolved around quail and pointers. I was reading Robert Ruark by the time I was ten or twelve so when the quail played out around here, I started thinking about buffalo and leopard...after six safaris, I'm still looking for a bigger buff or another leopard.

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
weird story. 20 years ago a friend invited my wife and i to go to the San Diego Chapter of SCI's annual fund raiser dinner. at each place setting( tables for 8) was an elephant hair bracelet. i had no idea what they were- my friend explained them. only 3 people wanted theirs, so I collected the rest, just for the helluva it. over the next few years, as the bracelets gradually wore out, I decided that maybe i should try Africa for myself and get my own bracelet. short story- 15 years and 10 safaris later, i am wearing my own.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Its my dear ole grandmothers fault actually. She lives on a lake in the N.C. mountains. I used to spend a large part of my summers fishing, swimming camping and hiking. She always had some adventure planned for us to do. She kindled a passion for the outdoors and a lust for adventure that has yet to be tempered.
Combine that with mutual of omahas wild kingdom, jacques cousteaus films of the great oceans and a subscription to field and stream. I developed quite a bucket list of things to do and places to see.

I have scratched the africa itch for the short term as i have other adventuers to go on. BUT

I shall feel the heat and taste her dust again, that you can count on.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Though a lifelong hunter growing up, I really had no interest in hunting Africa and didn’t know much about it. And being a small town southern boy, didn’t know anyone who had gone. My interest sparked in the mid 90’s when I was in college. I met a gentleman at a gun range that had a lovely Mauser 505 Gibbs that he let me shoot. I had never heard of that caliber and he told me it was a dangerous game cartridge for elephant and buffalo and such or something along those lines. Later that year in an American Literature class, my professor had us read Hemingway’s “ The Short Happy Life of Francis MaComber”. Not only was it a killer read, the PH in the story carried a 505 Gibbs, the same caliber I had shot a few months earlier. Talk about a coincidence! I told myself that one day I would go hunting over there. Fast forward to about 6 or 7 years ago, I was in a book store looking at the hunting books and saw Death in the Long Grass. Out of curiosity I picked it up and read some of the first chapter. I think I ended up reading half the book standing in the aisle. I bought the book and finished it in a day or so and that was it. I knew I had to go soon! Finally made it in 2010, back again in 2012 and hope for many more trips over.

For the life of me I can’t remember the gents name who had the 505 Gibbs. I hope that he posts here as there can’t be that many 505 Gibbs owners out there. Maybe he will read this and remember me. If so, Thank You Sir!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting in Africa had been a dream of mine since I was a small boy (several decades ago now) reading copies of Outdoor Life, Field and Stream and Sports Afield at my grandfather's house. I have been hunting and shooting all my life. (I honestly can't remember the first time I shot a gun; I must have been five or so.) And by the late 90's had been fortunate enough to have hunted out west a few times in addition to much deer and small game hunting in Wisconsin. But hunting abroad anywhere, much less in AFRICA was something I figured would always be far beyond my means.
Then I got to be friends with a lawyer in the public defender's office who had been to Africa a few times and had also hunted reindeer in Norway, red stag in Australia and ibex in Mongolia. When he told me how much these trips cost, I realized that a plainsgame hunt could be do-able for me! I got excited about the idea and talked to my dad to see if he wanted to go. The upshot is that we put down a deposit for a plainsgame hunt in RSA for 2002. Then my dad died of a heart attack and I went with a friend of mine instead. Five years later I was hunting in Namibia and in 2011 in Zimbabwe. When my son graduates high school in 2016 we will go to Africa together for the first time.

The dream was always there, but it was my friend who convinced me that it could be more than a dream. When I came back from RSA I brought with me a small stone from the place where I shot my kudu and gave it to him. A few years ago he was getting ready for his first buff hunt, in Zimbabwe, when he died of a heart attack. That was about a week before he was due to leave. He was only 57.

There have been many times over the last twelve years that I strongly questioned my priorities, whether it is right for me to save money for hunting in Africa rather than for my kids' schooling or retirement. Then I think of my friend dying at age 57, my dad at age 61, both with plans to go that never materialized. And I think that I really had better keep my priorities where they are. As they say, you can borrow money but you can't borrow time.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote