THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Zim Buff--on the SA border with Kruger??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zim Buff--on the SA border with Kruger??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there good hunting for Buff in Zim on the South African border, next to Kruger? Anyone have any info? A friend says he will hunt Buff in this area, but I am not familiar with this area.

Thanks for any info,

Regards, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how it is now but about 6 years ago I shot a 42" and a 40" and a 45" were taken in that area. The 45" was in a group of over 100 buff. Lots of squatters in that area now so be sure to get current info. I think Jannie Meyer ( not sure of the spelling ) hunts buffalo successfully in that area.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
From Two PH's that I now that hunt this area ( Gonarezhou, Crooks corner and Sengwe area), they say that there can be some big Buff and Elephant to be hunted, but they also say it can be very hard due to the fact that they spend most of there time during day light in the almost inpenetrable Jesse bush thickets along the Limpopo river.
The Buffalo are often driven out and shot as they make for Kruger or the South African Military area on the other side of the river.
PS;Watch for Black Mambers under your bed and the huge Lowveldt Scorpions in shoes and folded clothes.
Ozhunter.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GORGEOUS AREA Crooks corner. Ozhunter is right though though, there is NO shortage of mambas in that area! Hit a big-ass snake with the cruiser and we all decided to stop and take a look at him. I stepped out of the vehicle only to see about 3 feet of tail slip into the bush. YIKES! We saw a lot of nice buffalo and some good elephant there four years ago though...just can't speak to it these days.

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe crooks corner went up for sale this year. I've spent some time in the gonarezhou area with jumbo moore, who hunts the communal land, I've shot lion and ele. there, but never saw a buff. There is game which crosses the fences, but it is a hit or miss situation.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the info. The more info the better.

Regards, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Yes, very good Buffalo there. Do not do a 2x1 and do not hunt less than 10-days.

Graeme Jones has taken a lot of the quota ther in one of the areas by Crooks corner. He shot some great Elephant there last year.

I spoke to him in Reno and had sold a lot of his quota.

He is a good competent PH. If this is who your friend is talking with, he can be trusted.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey wendell-don't mean to be picky but you are currently promoting a 2x1 buff hunt in Tanz-is it just more game or what-thinking seriously of trying to talk my partner into that Tanz hunt/ Please explain

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Lots of places where you can do a 2x1 Buffalo hunt without a problem. Some places, however, I do not advise trying it.

I have not hunted Buffalo in this area, but I know a couple ph's who do. One told me, "I will not do a 2x1 hunt here." and the other told me "In 10-days, you should be successful, but it is hard hunting."

These are two warnings I would heed.

But, make no mistake. There are good Buffalo there.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that explains it perfectly-thanks

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
excellente trophies you can find in this area. Yes the bush is very thick and hunt is very exciting, in some places the shooting distance can be between 5/10 meters.
Try contact the ph Boet Van Aarde:
boet@huntafrica.za.net
I think he still have one or two license there.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I have been away for a short time. Is there a contact e-mail for Graeme Jones or a web-site? My understanding is that the hunt is for 7 days and it would be in October.

Would early October be a good time to hunt the above area?

Again, Thanks so much for your time and feedback,

Rgards, PG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Early October could be tolerable but, more than likely, it's going to be HOT! I was there in May/June and it was great...frost on the ground in the mornings and plenty of game. I hunted Northern Zim the following October/November and it was a bit uncomfortable in terms of temperature.

JMHO,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote