New
Find
Notify
Tools

elephant intelligence
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have never hunted them, nor seen them in person in the wild. But from all of the film I have seen of them it appears that they have superior intelligence to most other animals, almost to the point where I would have trouble shooting one.

Not so with most other animals.

Anybody ever shot an elephant and later regretted it,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, although there was a little sadness in my heart for them. They are not as intelligent as you think, just more demostratably emotional. They are about as intelligent as your average dog.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Felt a little temporary remorse but it's better that we take a few trophy bulls than the poachers getting them all. Someone wrote years ago to remember that a sparrow probably values his life as much as an elephant values his.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always feel a little remorse after killing any animal but probably a little more on elephant (except chucker!). As far as inteligence goes, it just depends how you define inteligence. They are some of the most social animals so that makes them maybe look more inteligent, I just don't know.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, for example, geese. If one shoots a goose that has a mate, that mate will stay in the area for days and days searching for that other goose. I have seen it many times.

In the films I have seen it appears that elephants do show strong attrations for each other, which to me is a form of intelligence.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The females especially have very complicated dynamics including family units, bond groups and clans. You might like to read 'Elephant Memories' by Cynthia Moss.

You'll find it towards the bottom of the page here:

http://www.shakariconnection.c...frica-authors-m.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i am under the impressions that ele's are very intelligent, and on top able to reason (within limits) and communicate, as well as having emotions. a very complicated animal. i don't believe that i shall every shoot another

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i am under the impressions that ele's are very intelligent, and on top able to reason (within limits) and communicate, as well as having emotions. a very complicated animal. i don't believe that i shall every shoot another

Katy Paine is the lady who discovered and researched how they communicate with sub sonic rumbles and she wrote 'Silent Thunder' (a great read)about it here:

http://www.abebooks.com/servle...ent+thunder&x=66&y=7

Cheapest copy is US$3.97

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I don't know how smart they are, but I have found them to be emotionally immature and unstable.

They seem to get upset very easily.

At the slightest provocation, they will growl and trumpet, and become extremely aggressive.

I think they have anger management issues.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cows seem to be continually suffering from PMS.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
I don't know how smart they are, but I have found them to be emotionally immature and unstable.

At the slightest provocation, they will growl and trumpet, and become extremely aggressive.

I have run into a lot of people like that.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

I've got two ex-wives like that! animal animal

On a more serious note, I think that's a good analogy.... they can very often be like a spoilt child throwing a tantrum.

I can't remember who it was who said 'we're all products of our environment' (Freud possibly?) but I think it's as true of elephants as it is us humans....... which would explain the Zambezi Ladies' lack of sense of humour! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted elephants for approximately 80 days in and around different Safaris. Overall Safari days being more but this, that is the time I have been in and amongst them. Have shot 3 nice bulls in that time which none of this makes me an expert compared to the likes of many on here and PH's like Ivan, Ganyana, etc. But I do have an opinion and I am not sure I would describe the characteristic as intelligent but it is something that most animals do not have. Elephants seem to have an incredible communication ability that whether intelligent or not is facinating. I have seen them communicate with each other when out of sight and apparantly making no sounds. This similar to whale communication many think.

I think we may take their intelligence for granted because they let us sometimes approach closely. I think a lot of this is just because they do not seem to fear the same things many animals do. I clearly believe that if you give the old bulls a reason to know you are active in the area they are plenty smart enough to be somewhere else. Sort of like Brown Bears. Is this instinct or intelligence?

Those are just my thoughts from a guy that just loves elephants and tracking, hunting them. I like other posters always have a sense of sadness when and elephant dies whether by my hand or not. The pratcial side of me understands the conservation aspects of hunting elephants, thus my personal justification.

I think this is a great thread and am interested to see the thoughts of others.

Larry

York, SC