THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    .375 H&H & 350 grain Woodleigh on PG

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 H&H & 350 grain Woodleigh on PG
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The thread on the 350 grain PP Woodleigh bullet in the .375 H&H got me to wondering.

Has anyone used the 350gn Protected Point Bullet on plains game or other smaller game?

Was there any evidence of the 350 gn PP opening up at all?
As in wound channel damage showing signs of the bullet opening some, since I sure you can't find the bullet after shooting PG with one!

How did the PG respond when hit, did it anchor them reasonably quickly or did it just pencil through and they run a long way before dropping?

I know the 350 gn PP is not intended as a PG bullet but I wondered how it would work if that was the gun and load one had when the shot was presented.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a lot of plainsgame with the 350 gr. PP and RN Woodleighs, as well as the same in the 450 gr. 416 when I tested those bullets in Africa for 3 or 4 years running...shot a lot of camp meat also. They don't ruin a lot of meat unless you hit major bone btw.

They worked fine for me and normally left nickle size or a little larger exit holes and the animals ran about 25 ot 50 yards and died and a few died instantly, about what one expects with any rifle on African game.

They do leave nice blood trails and recovery is always easy...

I am of the opine that failure on plainsgame does not happen with the 375 or 416 unless you really put the bullet in the wrong spot, even with solids, and if you put the bullet in the wrong spot with any caliber you get simular results...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I shot my wildebeest at about 300 yards with the 350gr Woodys. First shot stopped him in his tracks, next two hit a tree Roll Eyes then finally dropped him with the fourth. Shot a waterbuck at about 75 yards straight on, didn't exit but there was no tracking involved as he was dead before his knees buckled.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, sounds like the 350gn PPs actually make pretty good PG bullets!

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote