New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo goring in Mozambique
 Login/Join

Picture of bushfanatix
posted
My name is Chris ‘Skippy’ Burton, PH from Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. I got gored by a buffalo and here is my story…
I was hunting with Client friend, Craig Johnson, we were ten days in on an 18 day buffalo, crocodile, leopard hunt for Safaris De Mozambique. It was 2.00 in the afternoon of Monday 7th July 2014. Local villagers on the Panyami river, on the South Shore of Cahorra Bassa, Mozambique asked us to please help them with a problem crocodile that was attacking fisherman and raiding nets. Since Craig was looking for a trophy crocodile, we decided to go and look at the area. We paddled across to an island where we had been informed the crocodile was often spotted. We saw two big crocs so we decided to beach up river from them and stalk down by foot. When we approached the crocs, I swopped my rifle, for the shooting sticks with my tracker, Thulani. On closer inspection we decided that the crocs were not the offending croc and decided to return to the boat and try a different area. On making our way back to the boat, we were walking down a reed path, single file, with Thulani in front, myself next, Craig behind me and then the game scout. The buffalo appeared from a distance of approximately 6 foot infront of me, and immediately charged us. Thulani attempted to hand me my rifle, but the buffalo came straight past him knocking the rifle out of his hand and continued to head straight for me. I turned and ran up a different path and the buffalo followed. I ran about 20 yards and stopped as I was concerned about Craig and his whereabouts. On turning around, the buffalo was almost upon me and whilst trying to side step it, I slipped in the mud and fell into the reeds. The buffalo immediately started beating me with her head and pushing me around. I rolled over and tried to hold her horns and realized the only way out was to attempt to run, at this point I believed she was just angry as we had stumbled into her and startled her. I then decided to try and run and whilst turning over onto my stomach to get up, she hooked my upper inner right thigh with her horn and lifted me off the ground. I clearly remember looking down the length of her body whilst hanging upside down and seeing an open wound on her shoulder. I then realized that we were dealing with a wounded buffalo and she was not going to relent so started shouting for help. Thulani was trying to get out of the river where he had fallen and recover the rifle, and in the mean time, Craig came through and carefully took a spinal shot at the buffalo downing her immediately. She attempted to get back up, and he fired two quick shots that ended the attack. At this point, I would like to comment and thank Craig for finding me in the reeds, taking the shot and saving my life.
Once the buffalo was confirmed dead, Thulani tore off his T shirt, and made me a tourniquet and tied it to my upper thigh above the gaping wound. I was fully conscience and the team managed to get me back to the boat. My leg was badly ripped open, Once back in the boat, they paddled back to the vehicle where we radioed the main camp for assistance. The camp manager immediately dispatched a motorized boat to meet me and take me from the villagers boat. It was now just after 4.00. Basic first aid was administered at main camp and my medical aid, Aetna Global, was alerted. As there is only a bush airstrip in the area, it was too late for a plane to come in and fetch me, so a decision was immediately made to take me across the river to Zambia where Simon Roger, the owner of the hunting concession had already organized an ambulance to meet us at the harbor and take me to the catholic missionary hospital about 40 miles away. Simon’s 19 year old son, Justin, accompanied me to the hospital and ensured communication continued with my family and medical aid team. The ambulance trip from the harbor to the hospital was horrific, the roads were terrible, and this is when the worst bleeding occurred. Justin at one point, had both his hands applying pressure on the wound, and both his legs covering mine, trying to hold them down from bouncing all over. I had no pain killers and was in excrutiating pain. On arrival at the hospital, I was met by the catholic nuns who took me straight into surgery and cleaned the wound. They did the best they could, but it was a long night and the anesthetic drugs they gave me had a terrible effect on me. The air vac was arranged for the next morning and another ordeal of a road trip in the ambulance took us to the airstrip where the plane met us. Finally some good painkillers were administered and I woke up at Harare Airport. I was taken to St Annes Hospital where I was met by Dr Dakovick who took me straight into surgery. He too gave the wound a good clean, and applied drains and antibiotics to prevent infection.
I spent 9 days in hospital, during which time went into theatre once more to remove some dead tissue and clean up the wound. I then returned home, hoping that the flap of skin would reattach and heal. Unfortunately this did not happen and I returned to Harare and had the skin removed and I returned home for a few days to initiate healing and form scar tissue for the skin graft procedure. I then went back to hospital and had a skin graft done. They took a 5’’ x 5’’ graft off my good thigh and attached it to the wound. Sadly 10 days later this skin came off and the graft was a failure. It was an extremely painful procedure and I was so disappointed with the bad results. We made the decision not to go back for another attempt, but to rather do daily dressings and heal it naturally. This is progressing well, but as the wound is so large it is taking some time.
At this point, I would like to say that I was rescued once again… this time in the form of a very much needed financial donation from Dallas Safari Club Frontline Foundation. Whilst most PH’s have good medical cover, we are not all able to afford an insurance cover for injury and loss of earnings. This was sadly my case. Having a family of 2 boys, Tristan is 9 and Dylan is 7, my wife, Ashleigh and I were faced with a huge financial loss and a lot of stress and financial worry. The team at the Frontline Foundation have been so generous that myself and my family are overwhelmed and extremely grateful. The Frontline Foundation was formed by past Presidents of Dallas Safari Club, and was put in place to assist PH’s and other members of the safari industry that are injured during the course of working in the industry and the Board agree the candidate meet the required criteria. They are an amazing group of people whose compassion for people injured in the industry is going to be a great help to those in need. I for one can honestly say it has been a pleasure working with them and once again, the help has been nothing less than phenominal. Thank you guys once again.
A very important bit of information to keep in mind is that the Foundation is open to donations from all over the world, and for American Citizens it is TAX DEDUCTABLE! Please contact the Foundation on their Web Site – www.dscfrontlinefoundation.org Please guys make donations, big or small it truly does make a difference! Help the Foundation to be able to assist more people, just as they helped me and my family! It would be great to be part of such a hunting organization that looks out for each other. This is also a really good reason to join and become a member of Dallas Safari Club - an organization that truly does look out for all us guides. Thank you.

One day your life will flash before your eyes.... make sure you do something worth watching.....!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Best wishes Skippy on your recovery, physically and emotionally. Glad that the Frontline Foundation was able to assist you in your time of need.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Best wishes Skippy on your recovery, physically and emotionally. Glad that the Frontline Foundation was able to assist you in your time of need.

+1

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about all that and a big thumbs up for DSC.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That sounds like hell, I hope that you get well soon and enjoy many years in the bush.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That doesn't even sound fun. Glad you're still around and on the mend.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your encounter and wish you a speedy recovery so that you can get back to hunting. Yours is a cautionary tail that everyone who hunts in Buff country should heed. You never know what is lurking ahead.

Thanks for sharing.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris, glad to hear you're better, and that DSC was there to help.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

I just read your report - what a horrific event! I'm so sorry to hear of your wound, but so happy to know you're alive and recovering.

Please get well soon. I enjoyed our first hunt together and was - and still am - looking forward to our second hunt coming-up September 2015.

Jeanne and I hope to stay in touch as you recover. I PM'ed you as well.

Warm regards,

AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting

Wishing you a full recovery.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Damn dude.
That's tough, not just injury but financial hardship when you raise family and keep roof over everyone's head.
I'm pretty sure all that read this, will donate what we can and of course, if you need anything at all from states, just PM me and everyone else here.
We are more then happy to help anyway we can.
At least for me, been there , done that. Not buff accident, but construction accident when kids were small and wife was battling cancer at the same time.
End good, all good
So don't hesitate to ask for help
Milan

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a big lump in my throat reading that.
I am very thankful you survived & quite proud of DSC.
May the good Lord bless you all the rest of your days.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Best of luck with your recovery.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bushfanatix:
My name is Chris ‘Skippy’ Burton, PH from Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. I got gored by a buffalo and here is my story…
I was hunting with Client friend, Craig Johnson, we were ten days in on an 18 day buffalo, crocodile, leopard hunt for Safaris De Mozambique. It was 2.00 in the afternoon of Monday 7th July 2014. Local villagers on the Panyami river, on the South Shore of Cahorra Bassa, Mozambique asked us to please help them with a problem crocodile that was attacking fisherman and raiding nets. Since Craig was looking for a trophy crocodile, we decided to go and look at the area. We paddled across to an island where we had been informed the crocodile was often spotted. We saw two big crocs so we decided to beach up river from them and stalk down by foot. When we approached the crocs, I swopped my rifle, for the shooting sticks with my tracker, Thulani. On closer inspection we decided that the crocs were not the offending croc and decided to return to the boat and try a different area. On making our way back to the boat, we were walking down a reed path, single file, with Thulani in front, myself next, Craig behind me and then the game scout. The buffalo appeared from a distance of approximately 6 foot infront of me, and immediately charged us. Thulani attempted to hand me my rifle, but the buffalo came straight past him knocking the rifle out of his hand and continued to head straight for me. I turned and ran up a different path and the buffalo followed. I ran about 20 yards and stopped as I was concerned about Craig and his whereabouts. On turning around, the buffalo was almost upon me and whilst trying to side step it, I slipped in the mud and fell into the reeds. The buffalo immediately started beating me with her head and pushing me around. I rolled over and tried to hold her horns and realized the only way out was to attempt to run, at this point I believed she was just angry as we had stumbled into her and startled her. I then decided to try and run and whilst turning over onto my stomach to get up, she hooked my upper inner right thigh with her horn and lifted me off the ground. I clearly remember looking down the length of her body whilst hanging upside down and seeing an open wound on her shoulder. I then realized that we were dealing with a wounded buffalo and she was not going to relent so started shouting for help. Thulani was trying to get out of the river where he had fallen and recover the rifle, and in the mean time, Craig came through and carefully took a spinal shot at the buffalo downing her immediately. She attempted to get back up, and he fired two quick shots that ended the attack. At this point, I would like to comment and thank Craig for finding me in the reeds, taking the shot and saving my life.
Once the buffalo was confirmed dead, Thulani tore off his T shirt, and made me a tourniquet and tied it to my upper thigh above the gaping wound. I was fully conscience and the team managed to get me back to the boat. My leg was badly ripped open, Once back in the boat, they paddled back to the vehicle where we radioed the main camp for assistance. The camp manager immediately dispatched a motorized boat to meet me and take me from the villagers boat. It was now just after 4.00. Basic first aid was administered at main camp and my medical aid, Aetna Global, was alerted. As there is only a bush airstrip in the area, it was too late for a plane to come in and fetch me, so a decision was immediately made to take me across the river to Zambia where Simon Roger, the owner of the hunting concession had already organized an ambulance to meet us at the harbor and take me to the catholic missionary hospital about 40 miles away. Simon’s 19 year old son, Justin, accompanied me to the hospital and ensured communication continued with my family and medical aid team. The ambulance trip from the harbor to the hospital was horrific, the roads were terrible, and this is when the worst bleeding occurred. Justin at one point, had both his hands applying pressure on the wound, and both his legs covering mine, trying to hold them down from bouncing all over. I had no pain killers and was in excrutiating pain. On arrival at the hospital, I was met by the catholic nuns who took me straight into surgery and cleaned the wound. They did the best they could, but it was a long night and the anesthetic drugs they gave me had a terrible effect on me. The air vac was arranged for the next morning and another ordeal of a road trip in the ambulance took us to the airstrip where the plane met us. Finally some good painkillers were administered and I woke up at Harare Airport. I was taken to St Annes Hospital where I was met by Dr Dakovick who took me straight into surgery. He too gave the wound a good clean, and applied drains and antibiotics to prevent infection.
I spent 9 days in hospital, during which time went into theatre once more to remove some dead tissue and clean up the wound. I then returned home, hoping that the flap of skin would reattach and heal. Unfortunately this did not happen and I returned to Harare and had the skin removed and I returned home for a few days to initiate healing and form scar tissue for the skin graft procedure. I then went back to hospital and had a skin graft done. They took a 5’’ x 5’’ graft off my good thigh and attached it to the wound. Sadly 10 days later this skin came off and the graft was a failure. It was an extremely painful procedure and I was so disappointed with the bad results. We made the decision not to go back for another attempt, but to rather do daily dressings and heal it naturally. This is progressing well, but as the wound is so large it is taking some time.
At this point, I would like to say that I was rescued once again… this time in the form of a very much needed financial donation from Dallas Safari Club Frontline Foundation. Whilst most PH’s have good medical cover, we are not all able to afford an insurance cover for injury and loss of earnings. This was sadly my case. Having a family of 2 boys, Tristan is 9 and Dylan is 7, my wife, Ashleigh and I were faced with a huge financial loss and a lot of stress and financial worry. The team at the Frontline Foundation have been so generous that myself and my family are overwhelmed and extremely grateful. The Frontline Foundation was formed by past Presidents of Dallas Safari Club, and was put in place to assist PH’s and other members of the safari industry that are injured during the course of working in the industry and the Board agree the candidate meet the required criteria. They are an amazing group of people whose compassion for people injured in the industry is going to be a great help to those in need. I for one can honestly say it has been a pleasure working with them and once again, the help has been nothing less than phenominal. Thank you guys once again.
A very important bit of information to keep in mind is that the Foundation is open to donations from all over the world, and for American Citizens it is TAX DEDUCTABLE! Please contact the Foundation on their Web Site – www.dscfrontlinefoundation.org Please guys make donations, big or small it truly does make a difference! Help the Foundation to be able to assist more people, just as they helped me and my family! It would be great to be part of such a hunting organization that looks out for each other. This is also a really good reason to join and become a member of Dallas Safari Club - an organization that truly does look out for all us guides. Thank you.

We all wishes a complete recovery Skippy, and hope you are back at your work before long.

Your experience shows precisely what can happen on a hunting trip, due to circumstances not of your doing, and beyond your control.

All the very best to you.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thoughts, prayers, and best wishes. Hang in there.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for your injury.I wish you a 100 percent recovery.Is this the Craig Johnson that hunts with his brother in law? I might have shared camp with him in Chirisa-where he shot an ele in the 50lbs size.Craig can be a good guy-lol.I am surprised he made a good shot on the buff.He did not seem to be interested in shooting rifles if I remember correctly.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you are doing well. Now I guess it's time to join DSC!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skippy,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad you are on the road to recovery.

DSC,

Great Job. tu2

Posts: 818 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I am sorry for your injury.I wish you a 100 percent recovery.Is this the Craig Johnson that hunts with his brother in law? I might have shared camp with him in Chirisa-where he shot an ale in the 50lbs size.Craig can be a good guy-lol.I am surprised he made a good shot on the buff.He did not seem to be interested in shooting rifles if I remember correctly.

Craig saved his life. of course, since you are a master cow slayer, i am sure you would have done it better and quicker.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skippy! Scary story! Glad you are on the mend!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Godspeed Skippy!

beer to DSC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No matter how aware you constantly are, how good a shot you are or careful you are, shit can still happen in the bush!

You have my best wishes Skippy.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for a full and steady recovery. Kudos to DSC for being there in your time of need.

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris-

Glad you are healing and getting better. FJ sends his regards.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best wishes on recovery. i intend to send funds to DSC for folks such as you. My first African hunt was there on the Panyami on the south shore of Cahorra Bassa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is precisely why it is called dangerous game. I think sometimes as the word is spoken it doesn't really register just what we are dealing with. They win sometimes!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Chris

So sorry to here what happened.

I have been incontact with Lance following what has taken place.

Please send me an email. Lance has my contact details.

Kind Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote