New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light humor story
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I feel it is time for a humourous story....

First some background :- in view of the hundred or so different languages spoken by the various tribes across southern Africa a southern versio0n of Swahili was developed known variously as fanagalo or chilapalapa. Originally developed as a basic one language fits all for use on the mines in South Africa, it has spread - in modified form up to the boundary of Tanzania ( where Swahili takes over). The base language for all versions of fanagalo is Zulu - with various shoto, shona, tswana, shangaan, bangwato, english and Afrikaans words added as appropriate.

In my own country the basic Zulu is spoken by the matebele tribe - where I grew up.so easy ! As the basic all purpose language for talking to a mixed mob of Matabele, Shona, Tonga and Shangaan game scouts is based on zulu- but there are specific words that cannot be interchanged. There is also one common change ... Sindebele (and Zulu) has no R in it and the letter I is frequently used both a prefix and suffix. The dominant shona language has no L in it and uses E in preference to I in most cases. As an example - in Harare boxes are marked Eraza - in Bulawayo - Ilaza ( NB an Eraza is something you shave with not rub out pencil markings). The capital, Harare is pronounced Halali in Bulawayo. Rusape becomes Lusapi, Lundi becomes Runde. Anyway... You get the idea, Generally you automatically replace an R with an L or visa versa depending on which end of the country you are. ( the difference in actual pronunciation between the sindebele I and the shona E is very slight and it is the L vs R that is crucial to the story)

I grew up in matabeleland, speaking sindebele (a direct derivative of zulu) and had formal classes in the language at both junior and high school- so correct words, correct grammar...not fanagalo!

I join parks and am stationed in matabeleland. All my NCO’s were Matabele and most of the scouts either matebele or Shangaan ( Shangaans also speak a variant of Zulu,). No problem. The I was transferred to a station in the north. Not only was it a national park with tourists (instead of the safari areas I was used to) but also, nobody spoke sindebele. After two hours on station I discovered that basic bastardised Sindebele aka fanagalo worked ok - Especially if you shouted very loudly.

Then came a terrified tourist. Large snake in chalet. Tourists were not my job but I was the only officer on station- all the others having been called out. I picked up a forked stick and my rifle and walked down to the camp. A very large and very pissed off Black mamba was having a strike at anybody that came near...a couple of amateur snake catchers had already tried to catch it and it was not happy. I am no pro with snakes and favour No 5's... especially as a 9,3 bullet is going to make an awful mess of the wall behind.

“Go up to the office and get a shotgun†I instructed the camp attendant. Blank look- Didn’t speak English. “Hamba lapa maOffice en bwisa lo mahuliâ€. He seemed to understand that and rushed off. Quarter of an hour later he had not re-appeared but the snake decided to look out of the window. All I could see behind the snakes head was some Zambezi and Zambia so...used the rifle and one dead snake.

I was just walking back when the camp attendant arrived with a plump young girl in tow and two other white officers... all with strange expressions on their faces. The camp attendant explained - via one of the other officers, that the tourist officer on duty didn’t do that sort of thing but he had been down to the compound and found a girl who would comply.?????? WHAT!!! I explained to my colleagues what I had sent him for - when both collapsed crying with laughter. When they could eventually speak again I learned....

In Sindebele, a shotgun is a “maHuliâ€
In Shona a “Mahuri†is a whore.. ( In Shona/fanagalo, a shotgun is a “chifefeâ€)

The camp attendant had gone and fetched exactly what he thought this mad white officer needed for some snake charming ritual....Switch an R for an L and it cost me many many beers.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
You guys in Africa think of sex at the strangest of times clap

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7977 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great laugh...a fantastic way to start out the day.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
rotflmo Great story. Just what I needed this morning. Thanks. clap

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
This is my Mahuri
This is my gun...

That was good!! Thanks!

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
That's a great one.Thanks.What's funnier is that guy should actually go and find one in such a short span.

Best-Locksley.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magic Smiler

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Something similar but not nearly as good. There was a Brazilian studying in Mexico. Portuguese is quite similar to Spanish but there are important differences. The guy learned this when he asked a woman if he could sit on her "cadera." It turnes out that in Portugese cadera is chair while in Spanish it means hip.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope the camp attendant received a raise and promotion for following orders so promptly.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Kind of like the story where the Lone Ranger got in trouble and whispered to his horse to go fetch the sheriff's posse. Instead he came back with the local badge queen... Wink

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
What I don't understand is why it took 15 minutes to comply!

jumping jumping jumping

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I need the translationof ALF word. Probably I am loosing something of funny/fantastic/interesting Big Grin

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote