THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Biebs and other trekkers to Africa from NJ

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biebs and other trekkers to Africa from NJ
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All,

Have yall been aware of S977 and 978, which would affect importing trophies from Africa and other places into NJ?

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnny, no, I wasn't aware, but it doesn't surprise me. Fortunately, my trophy days are pretty much behind me...with the 60-75 I have now. The cities in NJ represent the voting bloc, and with cities like Newark, Camden, and Perth Amboy, it's a lost cause. My days in NJ are numbered. It's a shame, because out my way in the rural western part of the state, we're all conservative Republicans who farm, hunt, fish, and attend church services....and pay our own way.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As bad as this is, CT, I think, has legislation that requires registering of trophies.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jon, I am very sorry to hear this about New Jersey.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trump will make it all better !:-)

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1302 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And don't forget the exiting tax as you leave NJ -- a parting gift from the state ! faint

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
It's a shame the state is so politically screwed up.
NJ is has some of the best overall hunting in the North East US.
I had a buddy in Dingman's Ferry PA and we hunted together more in NJ then PA.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This get passed or is it proposed legislation?

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mete:

Wow, run you out of there and then charge you to leave???

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post, johnny. This is the first time I am hearing about this legislation. I have been doing a lot of travel lately (currently in China) and have not been keeping up with local news. I have trophies in Namibia that will be shipped in a few months, so hopefully I can still get them.

Biebs made a succinct point about the voting block. There are probably 20,000 Obama voters for each African safari hunter in our state - the odds are not in our favor.

Posts: 179 | Location: USA | Registered: 28 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
When you leave NJ, come down to Texas where there is still a majority of conservatives.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Hell, NJ senators keep us from drilling our own oil up here in AK.

Biebs: you're welcome to come to Alaska but you have to leave your Blazers behind as they are not allowed in the state.

Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Biebs: you're welcome to come to Alaska but you have to leave your Blazers behind as they are not allowed in the state.

Cal

Whew. I was afraid I would be stopped at the border with my Blaser!

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, there are still a number of great places in America, but with the way things are going, it may just be a matter of time.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of SCI Hunter Advocacy
posted Hide Post
Biebs & Co - Unfortunately, both S. 977 and S. 978 passed both Chambers and were sent to Christie's desk. Christie signed a conditional veto and you can learn more about what his conditional veto does and doesn't do here: https://www.safariclub.org/wha...s-anti-hunting-bills

larryshores - You would be correct. But Connecticut's legislative session ended at midnight on May 4th. So that bill also died at midnight. The Connecticut General Assembly will be holding a special session next week to pass a budget but cannot bring up other proposals.

If anyone has any questions about either bills ask away!

Follow SCI Hunter Advocacy on Social Media:
https://www.facebook.com/scihunt/ https://twitter.com/sci_advocacy

Posts: 12 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 12 April 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCI Hunter Advocacy:
Biebs & Co - Unfortunately, both S. 977 and S. 978 passed both Chambers and were sent to Christie's desk. Christie signed a conditional veto and you can learn more about what his conditional veto does and doesn't do here: https://www.safariclub.org/wha...s-anti-hunting-bills

larryshores - You would be correct. But Connecticut's legislative session ended at midnight on May 4th. So that bill also died at midnight. The Connecticut General Assembly will be holding a special session next week to pass a budget but cannot bring up other proposals.

If anyone has any questions about either bills ask away!

SCI Hunter Advocacy,

Welcome to Ar.

And thank you for this information.

I look forward to your participation in the discussions that affect all of us as hunters.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68795 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs leaving Nj as soon as I can once Christy is gone our New Democratic governor will be outlawing guns. Thinking Florida or Texas will be saving on income and property taxes it's a shame I have lived here ny whole life.
Chris

Posts: 172 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jon, I'd invite you to Oregon but it is filling up with ex-urban Californians with their "progressive" values. Idaho is still a safe bet.

Mad

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Biebs, I will reserve fairly clean trailer for you here.
Ravalli co where democrats don't stand a chance in local elections
Where you can legally pick up and eat road kill and teeth come cheap in local butcher shops, just use grinder ( to shape them ) and super glue and you will have smile Montana style for eternity

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Oregon is rated as the #1 state people move to.....hope they're better folks than the type I see all over the streets in Seattle :-)

I do like Idaho. I hunt there most every year, either along the Salmon River or up in logging country.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Montana! Big Sky country!. I've hunted there several times, in the lovely little town of Gwinnett, or down east near where Custer's Last Stand took place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs

Florida might not work for you. The state is flat - very difficult to get a natural backstop to suit your shooting style dancing

Go to some place with Mountains Cool

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can we give Jersey back to the English? Aug 2017 I move West.

DSC
SCI Life
NRA Life
WSF Life <1 Club

Posts: 177 | Location: Bitterroot Valley, MT | Registered: 02 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read about this initially on www.newjerseyhunter.com, but it seems SCI is on top of it...

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Hell, NJ senators keep us from drilling our own oil up here in AK.

Cal

jumping

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like some form of this passed. We need to wake up. We are losing.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=768

New Jersey to Ban Import and Possession of CITES Trophies

(posted May 06, 2016)

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has issued a conditional veto on two bills that will make the importation and possession of CITES species by New Jersey residents illegal. The original bills are being amended but are expected to be approved and made effective by May 26.

In their original drafts, New Jersey Senate Bill 977 would prohibit transport, possession, import, export and sale of Big Five species, and Senate Bill 978 would prohibit possession and transport of Big Five species at Port Authority of NY and NJ airports and facilities.

Christie’s veto would still allow for the transport, import and export of Big Five species in New Jersey that are not remaining in the state, but prohibit possession of trophies staying in New Jersey. Hunters who already have such trophies will be able to keep them without having to register them with the Department of Environment, as required under the original bills. Christie’s veto also removes Cape buffalo from the list of prohibited species.

In his letter to the NY Senate on each bill, Christie says, “Importantly, with my amendments, these bills prospectively would prohibit a person from importing parts of covered species (including the African lion) and keeping them in our State. Of course, no state legislation could ever by itself outlaw trophy hunts conducted overseas. There are significant questions whether such bans help or actually hurt wildlife conservation. If these bills are returned to me as I propose, however, we can be confident that the body parts of endangered animals will no longer be welcome in New Jersey.”

The two bills were written by Senator Raymond Lesniak. In the Assembly they were sponsored by Assemblyman Tim Eustace. In a statement on the conditional veto Lesniak said, “The governor’s conditional vetoes have only minor conditions that do not impair the effectiveness of the legalization…. Those violating the law will be subject to severe criminal and civil penalties.”

New Jersey sportsmen who have pending shipments of these species or have booked safaris for these species should immediately contact John J. Jackson, III, of Conservation Force for assistance. The Hunting Report urges all hunters to support Conservation Force now in its efforts to counter such legal maneuvers by the anti-hunting interest groups. Call 504-837-1233 or visit their newly redesigned website at www.conservationforce.org.

Get important news bulletins like this sent directly to your email 24 hours before anyone else sees them, plus unlimited access to our database of hunt reports and past articles, a special expanded electronic version of our newsletter and more! Upgrade your Hunting Report subscription to Email Extra today. Click here for more information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Why don't they ban importation of wool products?
Them sheep get most likely sexually abused in places like Australia and NZ
Only fair...
Fuck, and Christie calls himself Republican?
Yeah, right...
What happened to Individual rights and pursuit of happiness?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Christie’s veto also removes Cape buffalo from the list of prohibited species

The stupidity of politicians never ceases to amaze me!!

Since when have cape buffalo been endangered??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68795 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.northjersey.com/new...hy-animals-1.1609745

JUNE 2, 2016, 1:44 PM LAST UPDATED: THURSDAY, JUNE 2, 2016, 2:11 PM

Christie signs bills banning Import of threatened trophy animals

BY DUSTIN RACIOPPI
STATE HOUSE BUREAU | THE RECORD

Big-game hunting trophies of endangered animals are no longer allowed in New Jersey, after Governor Christie signed a pair of bills inspired by a dentist’s controversial killing last year of Cecil the Lion outside an African animal sanctuary.

Christie announced Thursday that he had signed the bills banning the import, possession and sale of Africa’s endangered species — the African lion, African elephant, African leopard, and the white and black rhinoceros — as well as animals on international endangered or threatened species lists. The ban applies to New Jersey and all Port Authority airports and facilities.

The bills, whose primary sponsors include Sen. Paul Sarlo, D-Wood-Ridge, and Assemblyman Tim Eustace, D-Maywood, were in response to Cecil’s killing last July. Walter Palmer, a dentist from Minnesota, was on a recreational hunt outside Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe when he shot and killed the prized black-mane lion. The killing sparked international outrage and prompted Palmer to close his dental practice.

It’s unknown how many endangered species travel through the region’s airports and into New Jersey. In fact, Christie initially rejected the bills because they would have required owners of such items to register them with the state Department of Environmental Protection or face daily fines. But in general, Christie wrote in his veto message last month, “I will endorse reasonable measures that help protect threatened species.”

Eustace said in a statement that since the Port Authority airports – Newark Liberty International, J.F.K and LaGuardia – are some of the most heavily traveled routes back to the U.S. from countries in Africa, the ban should deter people from killing endangered animals for sport.

“The law would cut off a link back to the United States for game hunters’ intent on importing the dead carcasses of endangered animals,” he said. “Hopefully making it more difficult for these types of hunters to transport their ‘prizes’ will give them pause or perhaps even make them reconsider this type of inhumane activity.”

Christie wrote last month that no legislation by itself could outlaw trophy hunts overseas, and that “there are significant questions” whether bans help or hurt wildlife conservation. The changes he proposed to the bill, which he signed, make him “confident that the body parts of endangered animals will no longer be welcome in New Jersey.”

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Johnny, no, I wasn't aware, but it doesn't surprise me. Fortunately, my trophy days are pretty much behind me...with the 60-75 I have now. The cities in NJ represent the voting bloc, and with cities like Newark, Camden, and Perth Amboy, it's a lost cause. My days in NJ are numbered. It's a shame, because out my way in the rural western part of the state, we're all conservative Republicans who farm, hunt, fish, and attend church services....and pay our own way.

It's the same way in California. There are 58 counties and the 12-15 counties along the coast near Lost Angeles and San Francisc-hole have ruined the state for the rest of us.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=775

A Call for Hunters to Challenge Legality of NJ Trophy Import Ban

(posted June 08, 2016)

All hunters from New Jersey who have taken an elephant, lion, leopard or black or white rhino trophy that is now pending import to the US are urged to contact John J. Jackson, III of Conservation Force. Jackson plans to challenge the new law that was passed in New Jersey banning the importation of legally hunted trophies that are listed by CITES and the US Endangered Species Act (ESA). He is seeking any hunters affected by the ban to join the suite.

Jackson contends the New Jersey law, and others like it, is contrary to federal legislation. It is overridden by the ESA, which delineates exceptions for the importation of sport hunted trophies. That includes a permitting system by US Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS). States cannot substitute their judgements in place of those of Congress or USFWS, and they must respect the permits issued by USFWS. Elephant and other trophy imports are included in the ESA exceptions, and USFWS uses an enhancement import permit system for those trophies under the provisions of the ESA.

There is sufficient legal precedence to challenge the New Jersey law and hunters affected by it may contact Jackson by telephone at 504-837-1233 or send an email to CF@conservationforce.org. – Barbara Crown, Editor-in-Chief

Get important news bulletins like this sent directly to your email 24 hours before anyone else sees them, plus unlimited access to our database of hunt reports and past articles, a special expanded electronic version of our newsletter and more! Upgrade your Hunting Report subscription to Email Extra today. Click here for more information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not defending Christie here, and this may not be the case, but I speculate that his handling of the bill with a "conditional veto" may have been the best result he could get. PERHAPS, and I don't know whether this is true or not, if he straight vetoed the bill, it might have been over ridden and the end result would have been much worse, including cape buffalo, for example.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote