THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Favorite Finishes and checkering lpi

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Finishes and checkering lpi
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello gang, it's been quite a while since I've been active, but I'm back.
What is youre favorite finish for a DGR. The LH Montana Rifle 458Lott project should be arriving in the white from Jim Brockman soon. The practice rifle in 6.5x55 (Ray, let's not get into the "practice rifle" discussion again; you were wrong Wink has just arrived. It too is in the white, and the stock is a piece of very straight grained walnut from our buddy Rod at Serengetti/Acrabond.

What are your favorite finishes, and what checkering lpi (#lines per inch) do you like for a DGR. I'll try everything out on this rifle first, then go to the Lott.

Since I hunt in the rain often, any finishes that offer asthetics AND do a good job of sealing will get preference.

Thanks,

Clint

Safe Hunting!

Posts: 28 | Location: South Carolina, USA | Registered: 07 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Member199
The "blued" finish from Blaser is the best I have used. Also I used a rifle that was "Teflon" finished on a 9 day back hunt where it rained 100% of the time. i shot that rifle quite a bit [300 Weatherby MAG] AND THE TEFLON FINISH DID NOT WEAR OFF OF THE CROWN OF THE BBL.
However just painting a blued bbl with Krylon works pretty good.
The advantage of the Teflon finish nas the action and bolt can also be finished in the same manner. You must still take care of the bore however.
I have found if you take care of your rifle at the end of each day you will not have any rust problems.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want some good advice on stock finish etc then contact boha of AR -he´s got this down to a science. He´s finishing two of my rifles right now and they´ll be beautiful. HIs advice is to use traditional English finishing. HIs checkering also follows those lines -Rigby.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote