Find
Notify
Tools

One Rifle Dangerous Game Safari
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I am going on a 21 Tanzania safari for lion, elephant, buffalo and plains game in 2006. I am taking one rifle, my Ruger RSM in 416 Rigby mounted with a Leupold 1.5-5x20 scope with Warne rings. I have just begun reloading and have used up the bullets that came with the used rifle. This rifle shoots. Now I will begin loading and practicing with the load I will use while hunting.

Before I finalize my decision, I'm looking for input. At this point I plan to load Norma brass, 400 grain Barnes Triple Shock softs and 400 grain Barnes banded solids, behind a load of 100 grains of H4831SC primed with Federal 215 large magnum rifle primers.

My partner and PH will both have another rifle available as a spare should I break down.

I know there are other options, but can you find fault with this set-up/load for the animals mentioned?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Your combo sounds perfect. Since you are only taking one rifle, you should be able to take quite a bit of ammo (11 lbs. worth). I would probably load up 20 or so rounds of 400 grain Nosler partitions or the new Hornady Interbonds. I'm sure you can get them to shoot to the same point of impact as the others, and they might open up a little better on the smaller plainsgame and even the lion. Just be sure to keep them back in camp or in the Landrover when you are after buffalo and elephant.

Either way, you could probably do it all with the Barnes TSX and Banded Solids. Can't wait to see the photos from your trip after you return. Sounds like a great hunt you guys have planned.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SBT,

Sounds like you are going to have a fantasic time!

I have become a big fan of the Barnes TSX bullets. I used them in Tanzania last year on Heatebeast and Zebra (375 H&H) and Cape Buffs (458 Lott) with very good results. I would be willing to venture in your 416 Rigby that you will have very good results as well! I have been pushing my 416 Rigby up to 2550 fps with 400 grain TSX and accuracy is very good using same set-up of components you detailed with Federal Match Grade 215's and H4831sc.

I just do not know about Lion and as noted in Sumba's post you may want something that open up quiker or push those TSX a bit faster...2500 fps?? but if you hit him where the bullet needs to be I think your load should work just fine...400 grain bullets at 2350 fps or better is tough to beat...

I have some of the new Barnes Banded Solids that a am working up loads for my 470 NE and they have proved to be very accurate.

Good luck on your trip!!!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

I wouldn't mess around with contemplating taking more than one expanding bullet. I'm sure the TSX, Noslers, SAF or other premium bullet will cover the whole spectrum animals you intend to hunt. Use the one that shoots best in your rifle. Your solids will work well not only for follow up on buffalo but for any of the smaller antelope like Tommies, Dik-Dik etc.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12962 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT,
I would not worry about two kinds of bullets...I can't figure out why the Barnes T S X won't get the job done for everything. If it shoots good for you ...just take that. One less thing to worry about....do I have the right bullet in for the critter on hand or....????
One man, one rifle, one bullet.
Dead Right There! Smiler

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
My experience with Barnes bullets is several years old and at the time I didn't like them. Many changes have taken place since then and I expect that you will do just fine. If your solids and softs both hit at the same POI at, say, 100 yards, you're all set.
Good hunting, brother,

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"One rifle Dangerous Game Hunt.... That ain't in my dictionary. Why just one rifle???
I understand planning on using one rifle for everything, but Im just feel more comfortable have my own spare rifle. I would like to be able to travel with just one rifle, and I have on backpack trips, but I did not like it. bawling
If you know the quality of the spare rifle AND AMMO it will probably be ok.
But it still makes me nervous. Eeker

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great set up.

But I would take another rifle, probably a .375 H&H Mag., as a back up. I wouldn't trust a borrowed rifle.

The .375 would be suitable for everything on license if the .416 were to give you any problems

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13551 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
SBT and 06,

You will do super...Once you get rifles sighted in you can go to a cheaper bullet just for practice...

I have decided to go for lion on my next trip to Africa and I believe it will Tanzania or Zambia....

Keep your powder dry....

The Mayor

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't be crazy-take a spare rifle.The fuck-up fairy could not resist visting a bloke on an expensive safari with just one rifle.The "spare" your friend has will bound to be not working-wrong calibre etc etc

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
I am going on a 21 Tanzania safari for lion, elephant, buffalo and plains game in 2006. I am taking one rifle, my Ruger RSM in 416 Rigby mounted with a Leupold 1.5-5x20 scope with Warne rings. I have just begun reloading and have used up the bullets that came with the used rifle. This rifle shoots. Now I will begin loading and practicing with the load I will use while hunting.

Before I finalize my decision, I'm looking for input. At this point I plan to load Norma brass, 400 grain Barnes Triple Shock softs and 400 grain Barnes banded solids, behind a load of 100 grains of H4831SC primed with Federal 215 large magnum rifle primers.

My partner and PH will both have another rifle available as a spare should I break down.

I know there are other options, but can you find fault with this set-up/load for the animals mentioned?

That is an excellent choice.

I have been hunting with one rifle and one load for many years, and have never regret it.

Your Barenes will do just as well on the smaller game animals as on the bigger ones.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68025 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Your rifle and bullet choice sounds great for buffalo, lion, hippo, etc.

I have found that for the vast majority of animals you'll hunt in Tanzania on a 21-day safari, you simply don't need a big-bore, and I would never take one as my only rifle for a full-bag, three-week safari.

I would also take a something like .30-06, 7mm Rem. Mag., .300 Win., or .338 Win. for plainsgame. Such a rifle will prove to be the workhorse of the entire safari, and is much more pleasant to shoot; much, much lighter to carry; and completely adequate for 90% of the animals you'll be hunting.

The idea of using a .416 for everything from Kirk's dik dik to buffalo for three solid weeks of hunting is a pretty dismal proposition in my opinion...........

AD

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
"One rifle Dangerous Game Hunt.... That ain't in my dictionary. Why just one rifle???
I understand planning on using one rifle for everything, but Im just feel more comfortable have my own spare rifle. I would like to be able to travel with just one rifle, and I have on backpack trips, but I did not like it. bawling
If you know the quality of the spare rifle AND AMMO it will probably be ok.
But it still makes me nervous. Eeker

SBT, Like NE 450 No2, I too have some doubt of the advisability of takeing only a 416 Rigby, as an only rifle on a 21 day DG safari. Haveing said that, let me admit I have done dangerous game safaris with only one rifle, and it was a 375 H&H! I don't believe it was a good idea then, or now, but I got away with it!

However, if that is what you want to do, I'd, at least, take a spare scope in another pair of rings, pre-zeroed, in case of a damaged scope! If your friend's rifle is scoped it will not shoot for you the same as it does for him. You can't zero a scope for someone else. The best you can do is get it on the paper, but the final zero will have to be done by the guy who is to shoot it! I don't think your friend will apprecieate you re-zeroing his rifle in the middle of a safari!

Personally I'd take a spare rifle chambered for 375 H&H, in case of a break down, the 375 H&H will still be legal for your DG, and is fine for plains game! The minimum, for Lion is .375 or larger in Tanzania as of two years ago. In a pinch, all the game you are there for are doable with a properly loaded 375 H&H, and is legal as well, in case your 416 Rigby goes South.

The ONE RIFLE system you offer is sound as long as nothing goes wrong, but I'd take the other rifle, or at least the extra pre-zeroed scope!

What ever you do, I'll be waiting to hear the hunt report on your return! GOOD LUCK!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done a one gun safari with a 416 or 404 on more than several ocassions, and in each case it suited me fine...

Most years I take two guns, one a big bore bolt gun such as a 416 Rem. and the other a double rifle..Have had no problems at all.

I personally would not shoot an elephant with a TSX and agree that you definately need a solid, Harry just had a brain fart, he'll get over it... bewildered roflmao

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42062 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT:
I used the 400gr Barnes X & 410gr Woodleigh sold combination in my 416 Rigby on a 21-day safari in Tanzania last year. Shot everything from buffalo to duiker with the 400 grain barnes x, including a lion at 20 yards. I only recovered 2 of the barnes x bullets; one from the lion (he was sitting down facing me and I shot him in the chest) and one from a zebra that was shot going away. You need to be careful shooting buffalo out of a herd with the 400 grain Barnes X, because you will get full penetration on a broadside shot. I also used the same scope Leupold 1.5-5x in Talley mounts (took a second scope as a backup, but never needed it) and I shot most of my animals on 3x power. We also took a 375H&H as my wife had a 7 day buffalo license. Those are the only 2 rifles we took. I plan to switch to the 400 grain banded solid too. Going back to do it all again in 2007.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day SBT,
Sounds like you have your DGR set up fine. Just two cautions on the Ruger RSM though, one; make sure the action is properly bedded into the stock, I had mine split through the wrist of the stock under recoil as it was not bearing properly. Nasty feeling when you rifle comes apart on you during the middle of a Buffalo charge!
Two; Make sure the ejector slides smoothly up into the cutout on the bolt, every now and then, when operated FAST, mine would hang up and fail to eject the fired case. Most embarassing! Also possibly fatal if it happens to you at a bad time, ie, the middle of a charge!
My rifles problem was easily cured by a polish to remove the tiny burrs causing the hang-up, be aware that it only happens at speed, never when the action is worked slowly.
As for cartridges, rifles etc, use what you are comfortable with but take YOUR DGR! Thats the one you might have to save your life with! You can always borrow or hire a plains rifle for smaller critters, but take YOUR DGR!
Have fun, I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your rifle and bullet choice are both good, but I would definitely take another scope.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT ----- Your gunnery is fine, your bullets will do the job. I personaly use the North Fork bullets after having shot Barnes, Nosler, and Swift A-Frame for years. My trip last year presented me the same problem of two rifles or one. I opted for two, simply because I didn't want to leave my best buddy, a .358 STA Model 70 Winchester, I have shot from Alaska to Colorado, behind. My dangerous game rifle was a .416 Rem also in Winchester Model 70. Your satisfaction is what is important in the end. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2356 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen- I am also going on this trip with SBT and will be taking my .416 Atkinson (Remington but bought from Ray). At first I was gonna take my .375 H&H and the .416 but here is the PH's recommendation:

1. Tanzania has a $200 import fee on each rifle
2. Pierre, our PH, has a .375 available to us if we need it.
3. We will only need to take one Tuffpak, a consideration when charter flights are involved and you are bringing wives and their gear for 21 days. Smiler

Soooo, there is the logic behind the one rifle each theory!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I took a .375 H&H on a one rifle safari three years ago. The PH (Pierr'e) had a pre-64 Winchester .375 H&H that was available as a back-up (which wasn't needed). I grew up on Winchester bolt rifles and don't think it would've been any problem to go to the alternate if required.

The Ruger you will be taking and Pierr'e .375 are both modified Mauser actions with the safeties even being similar. I'll bet you even have a Model 70 around (Yours or a buddies). Shoot it some with iron sights, just in case... you'll be just fine.

Your bullet selection is jam up, too! I would take another scope, though. I believe that you have a much greater chance of having your scope fail than the rifle.

Just MHO.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7625 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT, 30Ott6
Too bad it is a hassle to bring in a second rifle. I understand the reason.
You did not mention a spare scope, already sighted in with your hunting load, ready to be dropped in the rings. I would definitely take one. Scopes are the most fragile in the link.
For that spare, try a non-variable like a 3x or 2.5X Leupold for reliability. Enjoy your hunt!!

Posts: 101 | Location: Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I took a single rifle, my .404, to Moz./RSA last fall & was happy w/ it. You really only need 400gr softs & solids but on a 21day, you are going to be shooting alot of PG. Something like the NorthFork 325gr or 360gr bonded softs would be a good option. In fact, the 370gr NF backed up by 400gr solids would probably be my choice.
My trip to Moz. was primarily for buff. & I only took a few PG. For a 21day, I would take a .30 to .375 bore & my .404. At least take another scope in rings, pre sited, I did. It made me feel better. Wink

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The cost of the extra rifle is nothing compared to the rest.

I've never brought fewer than two rifles and have brought as many as three--mostly because I was hunting for a long time and wanted a classic, three rifle battery and because I love rifles and tailoring my rifle to the game at hand.

Plus, if you're taking your wife, you can bring twice the ammunition!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13551 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
SBT & 30ott6,
I've carried just one rifle on three different trips across the big water and I think you will be fine. I carried a .375 H&H to Namibia in 1999 and to Masailand when I went to Tanzania in 2003. I never missed the second rifle. The .375 is so versatile that I shot springbok in Namibia and buffalo in Tanzania with the same load...factory Winchester 300 grain Failsafes.

My last trip to Zimbabwe in 2004, I carried my .416 Rigby and shot everything from grysbok to elephant with it. I shot Federal Premium 410 grain Woodleigh solids and they performed as expected. The solids work well on the small stuff and most of the dik-dik I saw in Tanz were within slingshot distance so stretching a barrel with a big bore shouldn't be a problem. I do think taking a back-up scope is a good idea, even though I haven't done it. Wasn't that smart. Big Grin Have a great trip...I have to admit I am envious!!!!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7545 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote