Find
Notify
Tools

okavango delta safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
i know this should probably go in hunt reports .....Here are a few pictures of my last safari in the delta – very very sad to think that there may be serious change on the horizon for areas like this …johan calitz is an exceptional man , exceptional integrity and to think his lifes work and contribution to conservation and hunting will simply be taken away alongside all the jobs is a crying shame …anyhow , here are some great pics of the hunt …congrats to my friend hector carbajal on a great bull and a great shot …

Returning to camp at last light ….

some of the water crossings made me feel like I was driving a boat not a cruiser !!

a kingfisher hoping for one last fish as the moon rises ….

the moon was big enough that even well after sunset we could still see our way …

simon Elton filming off the front of the boat

dragonfly at sunset

this old boy actually threw sand at us !

the waters are crystal clear and as you go along you see all the fish and even the odd croc

hectors bull right when he took the shot

the trophy , 20and a half inches around at the lip and 49 out on the longest tusk !

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you gentlemen had an amazing time in the field, congratulations and thank you for sharing

Orvar

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous pictures. Nice bull. Too bad about the closures. Makes me want to get wet.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great pictures of a beautiful part of Africa and a grand old trophy. Sad to see what is becoming of Botswana.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Fantastic photos, thank you for sharing.

Posts: 3902 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,
What did you estimate the size of the bull that threw sand at you?

Posts: 80 | Location: botswana | Registered: 13 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Ivan, amazing photos as always and it looks like a great Botswana trip! Keep it up

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
the one that threw sand was probably just over 50 on his bigger tusk i think ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Nice Report. GREAT PICTURES.
It is a crying shame to think about what is hanging over Johan's head......along with all the other fine hunting safari companies, PH's, families, and hunting safari personnel.
Who can know what a country's government like
Botswana is thinking? Or NOT thinking!
I pray someone will come to their senses. What a sad commentary when you have to say in all seriousness........TIA.
Congratulations on a great safari and hunt.

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

Is that Case operating the boat? Any word on what is going to happen to all the great folks who work for Johan Calitz Safaris?

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9493 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing. Beautifull photography and a great Bull.

Thanks for taking the time to post Ivan.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Outstanding photos!

Thanks for sharing those, mighty impressive.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Cool pictures. In that picture of the bull throwing sand, I can assure you that my rifle would not have been slung on my shoulder. Call me chicken. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures Ivan. They bring back memories of my 4 hunts in the delta. What a shame that we will only be able to view it through the lens of a camera rather than a scope.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

Great pix and ele. The Okavago is such a special place. Like others I'm sorry I won't get to hunt it again.

Pix of the Cruiser reminded me of Ronny Crouse high centering us on one of those crossings. We didn't make it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13011 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Ivan, I am always impressed and amazed at your ability (and courage) to read ele behavior such that they are that close and yet you keep a rifle on your shoulder. Probably more impressive is figuring out how to get a client to do the same!

Do you find that pointing a rifle at ele in a ready to shoot position has an effect on behavior or aggression?

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivan: Is that Ollie atop the Cruiser in the water? He is absolutely the best in the Delta. If there was a mudboat event at the Olympics he would win the gold medal hands down!

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
mufasa , yes thats ollie , he is awesome ..

kathy , yes thats case , nobody knows the channels like he does

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Cool pictures. In that picture of the bull throwing sand, I can assure you that my rifle would not have been slung on my shoulder. Call me chicken. Thanks for sharing.

My thoughts exactly. Awesome report, Ivan!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunt99:
Do you find that pointing a rifle at ele in a ready to shoot position has an effect on behavior or aggression?

An interesting question...

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:

no i havent found that but what i have found to be important is to remain still much of the time and often from time to tim if an elephant is agressive to walk forward and raise ones rifle above ones head ... most elephants in fact most animals period want to get away from you and very often their initial approach is one of curiosity more than anything as soon as you move and they see you are a human , away they go ...

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Fantastic pictures and a great bull. Congrats
Thanks for sharing.

Torbjorn

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite simply..Awesome. Botswana people and wildlife will be much poorer for the government's stupidity.

Tim

One of Us
Picture of Bill 5248
posted Hide Post
Ivan, these are art shots. They would win an award in contest. Good eye.

That which is not impossible is compulsory

Posts: 161 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post and pics Ivan. The okovango WAS on my list to hunt in the near future. We can only hope for the best...

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did my first 2 safaris ('96 & '97) in the Okavango Delta. I thought all of African hunting was like it was there. As I learned, it is truly a very special place, and I'm soooo sad it can no longer be hunted.

Horrible photo...compared to Ivan's, but the sentiment is there.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Alas, it appears as though I won't be able to check this one off my bucket list....(and it's VERY near the top)....the Okavango with Ivan.

Outstanding photos and great trophy!!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hey Ivan: Is this attorney Hector C. from Vegas? Great bull! tu2

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
UEG yes thats correct , great guy !

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan, the Okavango and Chobe is where it all started for me in 1988 with Vira Safaris. I've done a few dumb things in my life but booking that Botswana hunt was absolutely the smartest thing I have ever done in my life! We stayed in Joa Camp which means paradise and it was rightly named. That long ago trip seems like a dream and in a way it was. Africa became my mistress, she is always on my mind, everything revolves around her and I have no regrets. Thank you for posting!!!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shots.

Can someone fill me in or point me to some info of what is happening in Botswana? If they close it to hunting it seems the fate of the wildlife would be in peril. I was hoping to get there someday. What is the Gov't thinking?

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote