THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hunting the Fish River area of Namibia

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting the Fish River area of Namibia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted
Gentlemen,
I have an urging to head back to Namibia and since I have hunted the northen parts of Namibia, though not the Caprivi, I beleive I would like to try a hunt in Fish River canyon area of Namibia. Does anyone have a line on a good ranch to hunt in that area?

What game would be available. I suspect gemsbok, springbok and red hartebeest. But does the area also hold good eland, kudu, warthog, duiker etc?

Any leads and info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
W.F. Mans from Kum Kum Game Ranch is located in Namibia down on the S.A. border. While I have never hunted with him I have talked to him at the SCI show. He offers some very good hunting and fishing on the Orange River at a very reasonable price. He's about two hours from the Fish River, don't know if he fishs that or not. him and his wife Marita are very nice and friendly.
Check out their web site at http://www.kumkum.com.na

Posts: 402 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Big Bullet, I grew up in that area of Namibia, and offer various types of hunts there, let me know if interested, and I will send you some info.

regards

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Fish River is a long watercourse, running from its "headwaters" in the Nauklufts over a long and somewhat winding course to its juncture with the Orange River, so there is a pretty large geographic span.

Toward the upper end of the Fish River are two very large, very fine game farms: Nomtsas and Gras Ranch. They are similar in size (huge) and both offer outstanding trophies.

I hunted Nomtsas in 2007 and took Gold Medal kudu, oryx, black wildebeest, red hartebeest, and springbock. Our group also took nice warthogs and mountain zebras, along with jackals and baboons. Available game we did not shoot includes blue wildebeest, giraffe, blesbok, plains zebra, and klipspringer. They have a few eland, but eland don't do very well in the dry climate. Likewise, impala are hard to establish and maintain.

You can contact Nomtsas through Albert Voigts albert@nomtsas.com The farm owner has been very ill and I'm not sure whether thay are booking hunters at the moment, but if they are it is a hunt which won't disappoint you. The country is very open, which means that shots are longer than in the brushy north, but by the same token you also see huge numbers of game that you wouldn't see in a brushier area. Nomtsas' hunter accomodations are very comfortable and private.

The Gras Ranch is just a relatively short way east of Nomtsas down the course of the Fish River. It is a first-class operation with a great reputation. I'm sure its hunting is very similar to Nomtsas. I think that Wendell Reich who posts here on AR books for them, or you can google their name and find information.

The "farms" south of Namibia are uncannily similar to the large ranches of the Texas trans-Pecos, southern New Mexico, and southern Arizona -- if you can imagine that country with african game running amok everywhere.

By the way, we might have seen a little spider somewhere around the house, but that was the closest thing to an insect we saw during our entire stay at Nomtsas -- no mosquitos, flys, or gnats, and the weather in June was crystal clear with morning lows in the 40's and afternoon highs around 70. Heaven! And another good reason to chose southern Namibia.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the info, Karl, I will be sending you a message.

When traveling to this area do most hunters come in through Windhoek?

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When traveling to this area do most hunters come in through Windhoek?

Yes. It would be a very long overland trip from JNB, and then there are always some potential complications in land border crossings.

Either of the two farms I mentioned are only about three hours from Windhoek. The Fish River Canyon area is perhaps another three hours further still.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Either of the two farms I mentioned are only about three hours from Windhoek. The Fish River Canyon area is perhaps another three hours further still.

Stonecreek, the Canyons is another 5h by diesel Cruiser, if you drive hard.

Another option is to fly to Luderitz, a very out of the way (but worth seeing) town on the West coast of Namibia, and drive 3-5h from there. (actual Canyons will be 4h frive away)(through one of the most beautiful areas of the Namib I might add, plus you have good chance to see Namib wild horses on the road. )

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Luderitz are still one of the cities listed as having regional connection from Whk or Walvis Bay, but one cannot make internet reservations for that flight. I have sent a query to Air Namibia regarding the availability of this flight.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net