New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle scopes in carryon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just read in The NRAs "American Hunter" magazine that TSA has decided that rifle scopes are no longer a gun part and will be allowed in carry on.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
first I've heard of it. And just because they may allow us to do that here, don't try leaving Zim with a scope in your carry on. It's ugly.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Another problem is that there are probably plenty of TSA agents who don't know this.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Read below and just taken off TSA web site.
Travelers may only transport UNLOADED firearms in a locked, hard-sided container in or as checked baggage. All firearms, ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames and receivers, are prohibited in carry-on baggage.

Realistic replicas of firearms are also prohibited in carry-on bags and must be packed in checked baggage. Rifle scopes are permitted in carry-on and checked bags.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Not just leaving Zim. I've witnessed some nasty confrontations at JNB with scopes in carry-ons being refused passage through the security check-points. Some really pissed hunters doing the 500 meter dash back to the firearms check-in room while praying that their rifle cases had not yet been removed to the aircraft!!! Mad

Honestly, I don't understand why this comes up so frequently? Confused Just leave the scope on the rifle (and be sure to remove the bolt for travel, pack it in the gun case as well).

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why anyone would ever want to take a scope on as carry on?

After all, they won't need it on the flight, it's just more needless weight and space in the carry on bag and they have a padded locked case in the hold they can put it in anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, TSA rules, and the enforcement of those rules, can be two very different things.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess ignorance is bliss. I've traveled out of JFK twice to Lusaka and once to JNB with a backup scope in my carryon. No one ever has said a thing about it.

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I don't understand why anyone would ever want to take a scope on as carry on?

After all, they won't need it on the flight, it's just more needless weight and space in the carry on bag and they have a padded locked case in the hold they can put it in anyway.

I see some reason to wish taking a telescope in carry-on luggage! With all the horror stories of firearms lost by air carriers, I'd like to have a QD telescope in my carry-on luggage. Then I'm at least sure that my expensive telescope will not get lost.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Andrew

But it's no bloody use to you without the rifle is it? animal

Airlines mislay firearms just like they mislay other baggage but the number that are completely lost is tiny compared to ordinary baggage.

I really don't understand why anyone would take a scope in hand baggage when they know it's bound to cause hassle whatever the regulations say.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Steve: You're TOO funny. . . . . .and RIGHT at the same time!! rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just saw a special report last night about lost luggage, and they claimed approximately 0.3% of all luggage handled gets misplaced or lost. Low numbers, but I do everything within my control to make sure mine isn't one of them!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of things you can do to make baggage loss less likely.

One is to stick a piece of white plastic onto your rifle case and write your name and flight details on it with a permanent marker (wipes off afterwards with a bit of petrol/gasoline)

And another is to put one of those new e tracker things in the case. I can't remember the name of them but they were mentioned here or in the travel forum a few months ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the TSA website....Bold is my doing

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-in...earms-and-ammunition

Firearms and Ammunition
Traveling with Special ItemsShare on emailShare on facebookShare on twitterShare on linkedinShare on diggShare on deliciousShare on redditShare on stumbleuponShare on google_plusone_shareTravelers may only transport UNLOADED firearms in a locked, hard-sided container in or as checked baggage. All firearms, ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames and receivers, are prohibited in carry-on baggage.

Realistic replicas of firearms are also prohibited in carry-on bags and must be packed in checked baggage. Rifle scopes are permitted in carry-on and checked bags.

In addition to TSA security rules on transporting firearms, airlines, as well as state, local and international governments have additional rules that may vary by location. Please check with your airline and with states and cities you will be traveling into and out of to become familiar with their requirements and ensure you are compliant with their laws.

Law Enforcement Officers: There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers who may fly armed by meeting the requirements of Title 49 CFR § 1544.219. Please read our policies for law enforcement officers traveling with firearms.

To avoid issues that could impact your travel and/or result in law enforcement action, here are some guidelines to assist you in packing your firearms and ammunition:

All firearms must be declared to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
The term firearm includes:
Any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive.
The frame or receiver of any such weapon.
Any firearm muffler or firearm silencer.
Any destructive device.
*Please see, for instance, United States Code, Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44 for information about firearm definitions.

The firearm must be unloaded.
The firearm must be in a hard-sided container that is locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft.
 If firearms are not properly declared or packaged, TSA will provide the checked bag to law enforcement for resolution with the airline. If the issue is resolved, law enforcement will release the bag to TSA so screening may be completed.
TSA must resolve all alarms in checked baggage. If a locked container containing a firearm alarms, TSA will contact the airline, who will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner and advise the passenger to go to the screening location. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.
If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm.
Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation.
Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.
TSA prohibits black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder.
Rifle scopes are not prohibited in carry-on bags and do not need to be in the hard-sided, locked checked bag
Guns and Firearms
Item Carry-on Checked
Small arms ammunition, including ammunition up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge- Check with your airline or travel agent to see if ammunition is permitted in checked baggage on the airline you are flying. Small arms ammunitions for personal use must be securely packaged in fiber, wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ask about limitations or fees, if any, that apply. No Yes
BB guns No Yes
Compressed Air Guns, including rifles and pistols (to include paintball markers) - Carried in checked luggage without compressed air cylinder attached. No Yes
Firearms - firearms carried as checked baggage MUST be unloaded, packed in a locked hard-sided container, and declared to the airline at check-in. No Yes
Flare Guns - May be carried as checked baggage MUST be unloaded, packed in a locked hard-sided container, and declared to the airline at check-in. Read our section on Camping. No Yes
Flares No No
Gun Lighters* No Yes
Gun Powder including black powder and percussion caps No No
Parts of Guns and Firearms No Yes
Pellet Guns No Yes
Realistic Replicas of Firearms No Yes
Starter Pistols - can only be carried as checked baggage and MUST be unloaded, packed in a locked hard-sided container, and declared to the airline at check-in. No Yes

NOTE: Check with your airline or travel agent to see if firearms are permitted in checked baggage on the airline you are flying. Ask about limitations or fees, if any, that apply.

*Permitted in checked baggage only if it does not contain lighter fluid.

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
TSA regs mean nothing in any country but the USA.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My scopes are always checked through with the rifles in a Tuff Pak. Don't see the need to ever carry it in a carry on bag. Confused

Another question? TSA says OK for ammo to go in said Tuff Pak with rifle as checked baggage. If the Tuff Pak is checked straight through to Mozambique, though Jo Berg but no overnight, strictly a transfer, will JB authorities make you take it out and send seperatly? Haven't seen this scenerio discussed here, so pardon if it has. I know they will usually make you ship seperatly if you recheck luggage after an overnight. I would really like the ammo to stay with rifle if possible of course.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Carry on issues with scopes is not that new. Many moons ago, 34 years to be exact, my friend had his rifle scope in his carry on bag as we left to go hunt buffalo in Oz and was picked up in the visual search of carry on luggage. It was given to the pilot in the cockpit and returned once we landed. He took the scope off his rifle as we only had soft rifle bags back then, I didn't have the 404 scoped. Baggage was treated with respect by handlers in those days although in hindsight it was still a risk especially when the soft bags were only zippered and not locked.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I've heard you gave your rifle to the crew to stow in the cockpit. That was before my time.

Shakari has a very practical African attitude. What good is the bloody scope if you don't have the rifle -- why not stow them together. Makes sense to me, but some -- Americans in particular -- think about the cost of the item and want to keep it with them.

I put binoculars and cameras in carryon for that reason. But scopes, they go with the rifles (and I always carry at least one spare).

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have on several occasions carried 2 rifles and 1 shotgun {sand grouse} in a locked heavy- duty aluminum container to Namibia with no problem. But that was a few years ago. What is the limit on the number of guns one can take now? I have been told it may have changed to 2. Anybody have a firm answer? I will be going via Calgary to Heathrow- joberg- Windhoek. I agree that one must consider not just the rules but those who interpret them .

Posts: 151 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona  | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Firearm limits in checked baggage are established
by the airlines. Some countries have limits on what can be imported.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find myself in complete agreement with Shakari--what use is a scope with-out a rifle? If something goes missing at least its all together to be recovered.

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote