Find
Notify
Tools

Sten Cedergren - RIP
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
As some of you may know, Sten Cedergren passed away last week. I wanted to meet him while in Harare in March, but battling cancer, he was too ill for visitors. All I know of Sten is from Buzz Charlton's video plus a few bush stories, but by all accounts he was one of the last remaining great hunters of a bygone era. I think Ganyana is out hunting, but can maybe add a couple of thoughts when he has a chance. Sten's memorial service is Friday.

Of the three elephant hunters interviewed on Buzz's video, both Sten and Ian Nyschens have since passed away. As it turns out, capturing them on DVD when he did was as they say, priceless.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Response in Pax, Sten Cedregen ...

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased his book and am looking forward to reading it in the near future. I am glad that so many of the legendary hunters of this century have taken the time to memorialize their adventures and create a legacy that will live forever.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Big Ivory - Tana River, Kenya 1960 by Sten Cedergren

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched Buzz Charlton's DVD and bought The Adventurous Life of a Vagabond Hunter by Sten Cedegren, plus Ian Nyschens Months of the Sun.
I have read Vagabond Hunter and am 3/4's of the way through Months of the Sun.

Those guys lived lives any man would envy; I do not think you mourn for them, you celebrate them.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Sten lived life to the fullest and I am sure he passed with few regrets. Cheers to a life well lived.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was sorry to hear this but he certainly lived a full life...more so than 10 average men.

On that note, I would suggest getting some of Richard Harlan's books signed from Buzz Charlton's office while you can. To my knowledge, Richard is still in good health and still writing.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That guy had the record of most 100 pounders in his lifetime. Helluva accomplishment. RIP. He's hunting even bigger tuskers now.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 475Guy:
That guy had the record of most 100 pounders in his lifetime. Helluva accomplishment. RIP. He's hunting even bigger tuskers now.

thumb

I reckon he is!!

Great book.."the Aventurous Life of a Vagabond Hunter"!!

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I hope they allow him to lug around a fine .500 Westley Richards where he is now. RIP

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
A legend in every sense of the word, when he was alive and now. Sten was a personal friend of my family and we were all very fond of him. When my brother Jonathan joined Ian Piercy's Zambezi Hunters as a gopher in the late eighties, he did much big game hunting with Sten, in Dande and in the lowveld. I was also fortunate enough to do a couple of hunts as Sten's apprentice, and I have great memories from those hunts. Last year, I again shared camp with Sten, when he accompanied friends on a hunt with Roger Whittall and stayed in our Mana-Angwa camp. At that time, he was just recovering from a bad turn and was pretty weak. Although he obviously didn't go along on the hunt, I know he was really pumped to be in the valley again. During the days, he spent a lot of time down at the pools below camp, probably remembering...... What memories he must have had.
During the evenings we were thoroughly entertained asking Sten questions and listening to his amazing stories. Sten was a great storyteller and he had a remarkable memory, a great eye for detail which he never forgot. The story which sticks in my mind is the one of his first lion charge, when he was a greenhorn African hunter way back when in central Africa. He really brought that charge to life and we were on the edge of our seats around that campfire. It was an honor for me to give Sten a copy of my book, which he thoroughly approved of. Sten was one of the few who had faith in me when I was a teenager, and I was able to show him that at least some of that faith had paid off. I guess that was the last time Sten visited the Zambezi Valley.

On behalf of the Hulme and Whittall families, I would like to give thanks for the life of Sten Cedegren. Sincere condolences to all of Sten's family. May God bless you Vagabond Hunter. I salute you, Sir.

David Hulme

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another great name that has gone to join the silent majority to hunt the great tuskers in some far off place. May his sole roam freely in those great plains in the sky

R.I.P

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill C.

Having both Ian Nyschens and Sten Cedergren on Buzz's video interviews should really memoralize it for all elephant hunters. Now we will never find the answer to the great debate between Sten and Richard, ie. "Is the double vs the magazine rifle the best choice for elephant hunting", Smiler
Both of these guys lived through a great era in African hunting, something we can only dream about.
Hope Ian and Sten are still looking at 100 lbers. RIP

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
A true warrior-hunter and member of the last of the few ivory hunters .RIP .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
The rest of us can probably only hope to have the big game hunting adventures Sten Cedergren had. God's Speed, Sten!

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Amen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are seeing the close of an end of an era. The last of the last.

Godspeed to them. What we leave as our legacy is up to us.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just back... I'll Miss Sten, but LuLu's coming round for tea tomorrow. At least their one son is here for her.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Rhodesians deserve our respect,admiration and help .WE RIGTH WING ,CONSERVATIVE PEOPLE OF THE WORLD MUST HELP THEM .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote