Find
Notify
Tools

Experiences with Bear Claws
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted
I have a 30-06 which will be used on plains game by my son. It is shooting sub MOA groups with Federal HE loadings in both 180 Nosler Partitions and 180 Bear Claws. If a problem occurred with my rifle, it might be pressed into use on leopard. The different loads do not shoot to the same point of impact.

How is the expansion on smaller animals with the Bear claws?

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both the bear claws and the Nosler have excellent killing reputations..I personally prefer the Noslers myself based on my personal experiences, but I know a lot of folks who swear by the trophy bonded bullets. Either way you in good shape..

Posts: 41945 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard,

I have shot leopards with both the NP's and the TB's both worked great. The leopard that actually fell like a sack of grain and never moved from the base of the bait tree was shot through the shoulders with the TB.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12911 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard,

Last year in Namibia, and for that matter I'll be using the same this year in RSA, I used the Federal HE 180gr Bear Claws in my '06. I shot the following with them, Springbuk at 175 yards - one shot, Kudu at 65 yards - one shot, Blue Wildebeest at 225 yards - one shot, Gemsbok first shot at 150 yards, second at 250 and final shot at 50. This wasn't the bullets fault, I made a bad first shot, a bit to far back. Once he got up a head of steam he wasn't going down easy, I was amazed how much it took to bring him down.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote