Find
Notify
Tools

Bushbuck Subspecies
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted
Yes, I am the guilty party resurrecting old postings of Bushbucks. There are a lot of posts on Bushbucks from 8 to 15 years ago. I think they are a pretty impressive animal. There are some old great pictures of monster Bushbucks.

Can a person (knowledgeable) look at a Bushbuck and know its subspecies? I understand the Eastern Cape is darker from the Limpopo but what about the Chobe, Melenik...?

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I've shot 8 bushbuck and 5 of the varieties they come in. To tell you the truth the only one that stands out as being notably different to my eye is the harnessed as it's markings are unique.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
SCI recognizes 8 subspecies. Many folks say the Masai is a 9th subspecies.

I've shot 8 of 9, and lack only the Cape.

The Harnessed, Nile, and Abyssinian are uniquely orangish.

The Cape, Meneliks, and Masai are very dark.

The EA, Chobe, and Limpopo are more brown.

All have slight variations in horn, markings, and coat.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Will: You've left the easiest for last! rotflmo Call Charl at Infinito and get it done! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I love bushbuck! I've only shot two, one on the east cape and one in the Kwa Zulu Natal. The weird thing is that both of them only had one horn.

Here's my PH Ian Blakeway with my Natal bushbuck

One of my biggest fears is that I will one day shoot a big, old, harnessed bushbuck... because then I'll have to find a space in the gun room for a full body mount.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Will: You've left the easiest for last! rotflmo Call Charl at Infinito and get it done! Big Grin

Cape will be done and dusted in July if all goes to plan. I saw one in 1997, but haven't seen one since.

I only recently got a Chobe in Northern Moz in November.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are all lovely, fun to hunt good to eat and make super life sized mounts

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post

Have posted this pic before...

Any guesses as to what species of bushbuck this is?

And no, it’s not some color variant - bred for its abnormalities.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Great thread!

The amount of knowledge and experience here is really impressive.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Chris, I would guess Limpopo but that is just a guess. That is a unique coat.

Frank, there is something beautiful about that one-horned Bushbuck. I have a one-horned Nyala and I was hoping to get a one-horned impala. I think a one-horned animal collection would make some nice trophies and good conversation starters.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:

Frank, there is something beautiful about that one-horned Bushbuck. I have a one-horned Nyala and I was hoping to get a one-horned impala. I think a one-horned animal collection would make some nice trophies and good conversation starters.

Yep, I like that I've taken two of them. This one is unique since he broke the horn over 5 years before I shot him but it continued to grow, pointed backwards instead of up.

Chris, I'm curious also.

I've seen a couple of old bushbuck does with entirely white heads but nothing like that.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Hey Chris, maybe that BB is just an old one?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Bushbuck are very cool animals. At a place I stayed in Kenya, a nice little buck liked to lay underneath the veranda, always a treat when he popped out for a walk.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Old Grey hair is all I’m guessing

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’ve only shot one in 2 safaris. My EC bushbuck was the the most difficult animal on my list that I got. I never got a kudu, but could’ve. That’s a different story...

It was a real hunt glassing the thick hills waiting for the wary little buggers to pop out.

I’ve also heard stories that you don’t want to wound one and chase into the bush after them.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have shot hundreds of buffalo, each and everyone is of different "species"!

I understand there are thousands of buffalo species, and I will continue to see if I can get all of them! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:

Yep, I like that I've taken two of them. This one is unique since he broke the horn over 5 years before I shot him but it continued to grow, pointed backwards instead of up.

Chris, I'm curious also.

I've seen a couple of old bushbuck does with entirely white heads but nothing like that.

This Bushbuck was hunted with me free range in the KZN Midlands back in 2017 which from a geographical perspective classifies it as a Cape Bushbuck.

My first thought was also that it was very old but inspection of its teeth revealed that this was not the case.

The only logical explanation was that it was some kind of genetic deviation. A very unique trophy indeed!

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Two good examples of Chobe Bushbuck taken in Munyamadzi Luangwa valley. The Zambia record was taken here by Thor Kirchner.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bushbucks.