New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virunga
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I imagine this hasn't been wildly broadcast given the current state of the world, furthermore because it occurred in DRC; but 13 rangers in Virunga National Park were killed in a recent attack.

Link to a brief story:
https://www.channel4.com/news/...ts-mountain-gorillas

I visited Virunga in February, and can say that it is one of the most impressive parks I have been to. Moreover, I have been to national parks and wildlife areas in 8 different African countries, and this was by far the best run and most professional operation I have come across. The rangers were incredibly sharp and obviously well trained, and the staff was incredibly efficient, helpful and organized. For 13 rangers to die in one event gives you a sense of how geared up and ready the militia that did this was.

It is an incredibly unique park, and unfortunately it doesn't get the support or attention it likely deserves. If you haven't heard of it, you should check the documentary Virunga.

I know this is not a hunting area, but do any hunting organizations have funds that would support the fallen rangers families, or pump additional money into the park?

I'll be donating, which you can do through their website (https://virunga.org/donate) or if you are American, you can donate through this site (https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/virungafriendsfund) for it to be tax deductible.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I was reading about that last night.

The loss of 13 Park rangers a great loss for the park.

Thinking that this is a up tick in the poaching activities that is escalating right now in Africa. With the loss of Paying tourist traveling to Africa these days, the poaching has started to feed families and for the Asia connection for rhino horns, ivory (elephant and hippo) and bones from the different cats, plus other animals is picking up in all the countries.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Yes...I read about it. Frowner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37719 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geeez that's sad news.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very sad indeed. Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I visited Virunga last September, we searched for and found a family of gorillas with some of these same rangers, terrible thing to happen. I gained a new respect for those of you that hunt the forest for small duikers and other forest animals.
StormsGSP, to you question of aid, I've brought this to the attention of DSC Frontline...worth a try.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2894 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Atrocity done by a Milita ?? Is Virunga in a civil war? Or is this a plea for funding ? Sounds as if they have more problems than poachers.

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote