THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The 270 on neck shots on Kudu and Eland

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 270 on neck shots on Kudu and Eland
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted
I have heard from a few guys that the 270 Winchester is not always reliable on neck shots on Kudu. My brother had the same results with a big Kudu bull and an eland bull. I have not shot that many kudu with it and never had that problems. Dit other hunters have this problem

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The neck only offers a 2" target. If you are off, the bullet just goes through meat and the animal is lost. I would stay away from neck shots with any caliber.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Neck shots aren't always reliable, no matter what caliber you're using, and for the above mentioned reasons.

If you want to shoot large, herbivorous game with a .270 Winchester, load well-constructed bullets (ex: Nosler Partition) and shoot them through the lungs, right behind the shoulder, and forget about neck shots.

AD

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Flip,

Just to add to what my two friends mentioned above.

I have shot quite a number of animals with a 270 Ackley, using both 130 grain Barnes X bullets and 140 grain TB Bear Claws.

These animals ranged from duikers, impala, kudu, sable, waterbuck and zebra.

Most of several hundreds shot never needed more than one bullet. Those that did need an additional bullet were not shot with a well placed shot in the first place.

But, do what Allen suggested. Use a well constructed bullet. And try to avoid neck shots, unless you are very close and sure of your shot.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67320 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me start off by saying I'm an ABSOLUTE 270 Winchester fan. I use it as my light rifle but have taken two zebra and several wildebeast with it and ditto the comment on premium bullets!!! Never, Never do I neck shoot animals. I use the Nosler Partition, if I want quick expansion, the Swift Partition if I want a bullet to give a perfect mushroom and the Barnes 140 X "flat base", which they JUST discontinued, if I really want the 270 to think it is a 340 Weatherby. But the bottom line is, it is a 270 and NOT a 338/358/375 etc. My suggestion would be if you are going to neck shoot animals use a 338 or bigger with a premium bullet and if you miss the spine you should shock them enough to knock them down until you can give a second round. I will strongly second the offering that you use your 270 in the heart "lung" area and you will be very happy. In my opinion, you would be far better to put your bullet through one front shoulder and the heart/lung area than the neck. You are better off loosing one shoulder that a neck shot animal that gets up and runs off! And they do. Don't mean to sound overly critical, we just disagree on this topic, nothing personal. Good Hunting. "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think what you are referring to is the 270 bullets blowing up on the huge necks and massive neck bones of Eland and I have seen this happen with a .270 on eland and to me on a big Charlias Bull that proceeded to tear a finder and a door off my best friends pickup(the ranch owner) while he bounced 30 carbines off the bulls head from his position in the cab, and I clung to the top of the cab frantically...I finally killed the bull with a head shot at 3 feet, after he was sure the P.U. was dead.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41953 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once shot a huge eland bull with a 410 gr woodleigh sp at about 130 yds. It knocked him right down but before I could get another good shot into him he was gone. My PH and I chased after that bull from 9:00 am till 2:00 pm. The afternoon temp was 100 deg F. I did finally get him, but never again will I take a neck shot.

Posts: 262 | Location: New York | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Ray

That was what I was after, I have heard that it happend on some large game, but like I said, I have not had it happen, but I have not shot that manny annimals with the 270, only about 30, I normally use one of my 300 or my 9.3x62

Thanks

Flip

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote