New
Find
Notify
Tools

a most fearfull experience
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
it's been many winters since. I had been a dedicated big game hunter for many years already. north america had provided me with all the excitement i needed. but then came along a show that had a bunch of african game displayed. well i got hooked and booked my first african hunt. sou9th africa, nyala, zebra, warthogs. here i come.
Now like everybody i studied books, magazines,etc to find out all i could, but nothing whatsoever could have prepared me for what was to happen.
It was the first morning out and my PH Fred Maaris had me out looking for one stripped horse. True to expectations he had located a small herd by early in the morning.
the time of year was in late march and the cover was green and thick. Game was almost invisible, and the stories of charging giants ran through my hear.
The herd of zebra wasn't to far away and wee began a sneak. Hiding behind trees,bushes and anthills we came closer and closer.
We crouched down on a game trail in the dirt. Wildebeest mixed with the zebra had spotted us. No way could we approach closer, so we just hunkered down on the game trail and waited.
While most of my concentration was settled on the zebra, out of the corner of my eye i saw it approaching. It was coming down the trail headed straight for me. My eyes opened wide and i poked Fred pointing at the Dennison. He showed great courage shushing me. But i couldn't be quieted..It was something like a ghost. Brown and moving ever nearer without legs, in fact without and visible means of propulsion at all.
While not exceedingly large it was indeed a big turd. I had never encountered a walking turd before, and i was quite sure that was in an attack mode. Now those of you that never been attacked by a ghost turd probably will never know the fear that could encompass your soul at a time like this
Fred showing the proficiency that accompanies all great PH;s knocked the turd aside revealing the large dung beetle under it.
Fear thrown aside we resumes the hunt, eventually bagging that zebra.
Black death - baloney - dung beetles are much worse

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Laughed my ass off. Thanks.

This one damn near got me...but we stayed downwind and avoided a charge.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those evil, wicked, mean, biting, Dung Beetles!
They are the scourge of the earth.
Apparently the only thing that likes turds more than dung beetles is my 2 house dogs.
Durn the store bought treats, they want cat turds.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Great story thanks!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2812 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed that animal

beer

Almost had this one posted : bsflag

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was a good laugh.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, we really need to know...

Was the shoe involved adequate for dangerous turds?

Was it controlled feed, or just push feed?

Or (gasp) a Blaser sandal?

Was your life at risk because you were not adequately prepared for Brown Death?

rotflmo

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A most fearful experience? I thought your company has asking you to submit to a urine test....and this time it wouldn't be multiple choice!!! :-)

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Many of us can relate! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My most fearsome experience in Africa was in the bar at the Arusha Hotel. While it was clear that this absolutely would not, could not, was never going to happen,it was the most determined charge I've ever faced in Africa.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote