Notify
Tools

The Spirit o' Khaki
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted
Here now,
Any of you chaps longin' fer the days of proper outfittahs like Army & Navy need to take a lookout at www.tagsafari.com and invest'gate the pith helmets. Not only do they carry the usual Indian style but they have now added the right cavalry model that protects the back of yer neck. Excellent product, what? 've had the milliner make me up one in green t'use in the Zambezi swamps and it's quite the bees knees, don'tcherknow. 'll post self-portraits soon's 'can unpuzzle out the camera thingy instructions.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can imagine the look on the PHs face if you rock up to a safari wearing the pith helmets, jodpurs,knee high boots and sporting a handlebar moustache . All the hat is missing is the leopard skin band around it to realy crack everyone up.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
I must say that compared to the helmets, the rest of the clothing sadly lacked in style...

Should I go on safari, I should not like to see my butler turned out like that (provided I had one).

Regards,
Martin

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Sarge,

Looks a bit like this, wot? This is the Tag pith helmet (lion's tooth necklace optional ).

Actually, I was in the Tag Safari Clothing store in Bulawayo a couple of weeks ago. This seems to be sort of a factory outlet since they are made there. The shirts were about $10 each, and I got a nice jacket for a little over $30. Pith helmets were about $30. Really good prices if you happen to be in the Bulawayo area.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Must say I admire the lion's tooth, James old boy, and that's the original pith helmet they offered. The range is larger now, by two. I've 'bout got the digcam figured out so I should be able to post one of the other versions tomorrow.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
As you were Sir! Pleasin' though it may be to see a sensibly shaped sun helmet, the shirts on that site had me hurumpfin' into my copy of the London Times. Sink me, what sort of a fella buys a two colour shirt? Buy one and be damned Sir!

There remains the last bastion of proper headgear, being Mister Lock in St James's. For the general enlightenment of the readership I attach a link to their site hereto.

Quality hatters, damn yer eyes.

Your servant

Major, retd, Deerdogs, lately of Her Majesty's 19th Regiment of Foot.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cliche as they may be I wore a pith helmet that we had laying around back in my lifeguarding days, they plain work! Keep you nice and cool.

Posts: 1489 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A James Lock Pith helmet, a pair of custom Lobb hunting boots and clothing from The Supply Company in RSA (particularly the khaki drill range).

http://www.supplycompany.co.za/html/khaki_drill.html

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And, actually, for those in the US, I carry the Supply Co line of clothing. Long Grass Men's Shirts
Great stuff!

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sink me, what sort of a fella buys a two colour shirt? Buy one and be damned Sir!

Sah! The Duke of Bedford, Sah!

Hard as it may be to believe, I saw his lordship in a Hawaian shirt and shorts at the restaurant he owns in London back in '97. Of course, the man did spend 6 years in California after university and that sort of thing in his formative years can have a devastating effect on good taste, but hopefully good breeding will have eventually overcome youthful indiscretions.

Oldsarge
Bn SGM(acting) retd.
USOCOM USAR

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your younger than I had you figured. Uglier too!

Posts: 41953 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
You need to have a fluttering Union Jack behind to truly look the part.

Shame on you. A gentleman always has his batman bring out the shaving kit each morning!

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote