Find
Notify
Tools

Most popular plains game rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oldsarge

I have only shot 1/2 a Blue Wildebeest. My son and I made our first trip over last June. On the final day we decided to take a Wildebeest together. It was kind of a one, two, three FIRE! celebration kind of thing. The animal was a bit further than 250 m (PH's number). I hit it in the neck, my son hit it in the heart. We were both shooting 300 WSM, 180 Partitions. It went down like it got hit by a freight train.

So I would conclude that they aren't to hard to kill but our kill was a little different.

Ian

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charles Mc Williams
posted Hide Post
ilw ,actually the blue beast is called the poor mans buff. for his ability to soak up a fair amount of lead. I think it was the one two punch that was deliverd that made him call it a day. Charlie

Posts: 343 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the first two trips I took a 30-06 and a 7mm but they stayed in camp and I shot everything with a .375. The last two trips I just took the .375.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than the animal noted above, on our trip, I shoot 5 animals (Kudu, Red Hartebeest, Springbok, Zebra and Blesbok) and my son shoot 6 animals ( Kudu, 2 Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest, Springbok and Blesbok). I fired 6 shells the kudu was still standing after the first shoot and I have a shoot till it drops policy. My son shoot fired 8 shells. His very first shoot on a Gemsbok was a bad shoot .. low we did end up getting it but that is another story. He also took two shoot at his springbok. First one hit him broadside and it turned and looked at him. He thought he had missed(he had'nt) and dropped it on the second.

All animals were shoot with 300 WSM. Mine a Sako with a Lepold LPS on it. My sons was using a Browning A Bolt. Both guns shoot very well. The only complaint I would have about the Sako is that it is heavy. The Sako is heavier than the browing with the scope.

My shortest shoot was about 65-70 yards on the Zebra and the longest one was on the Wildebeest. My sons shortest was his springbok at about 120 yards and his longest was close to 300 on his blesbok.

Other than the badly shoot Gemsbok everything either dropped or dropped within 20 yards.

We used hand loaded 180 Partitions on everything.

So for what it is worth the 300 WSM gets the thumbs up.

Ian

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medium
posted Hide Post
I've only been to Africa once and I took a Ruger M77 Mark II chambered in .300 Win Mag with handloaded 180 grain Nosler partitions. I Took 7 animals (including Kudu, Gemsbok, and Wildebeest) with shots between 30 and 180 yards with 1 shot each time. While Living in Alaska, I also shot a 300lb black bear at 245 yards...which I shot twice. (after inspection, the first shot would have been lethal.) I think that the rifle is adequate for most plains game and it is also a good bang for the buck.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 136 | Location: Seward, Alaska | Registered: 11 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted Hide Post
I would say the .375 ,it has everything you need from klipspringer to eland and can be used on the big stuff aswell thumb

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote