THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    50 elephants starve to death in Zimbabwe

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 elephants starve to death in Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Times of Oman - International News
(Monday, October 31, 2005)

50 elephants starve to death in Zimbabwe: Report

HARARE –– Zimbabwean authorities are considering moving elephants from the country's overburdened national parks to Namibia after at least 50 pachyderms starved to death, a state daily reported Monday.

Some 50 elephants died in separate incidents in the famous Hwange national park in Zimbabwe's dry southwestern region, prompting senior government officials to visit the area to investigate the cause of the deaths.

"I wanted to ascertain on behalf of the government the main causes of the deaths of the elephants," deputy minister for environment and tourism Andrew Langa told The Herald.

The newspaper reported that the animals died "because of shortage of water and pasture".

"The situation is bad in the game park. Some of the solutions we are looking at in order to reduce the deaths are to cull and take some of the elephants to Namibia," Langa told The Herald.

He said cabinet would meet to discuss the plans to relocate the animals.

In May the National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority invited Zimbabwean farmers to buy elephants to decongest areas where elephant populations are concentrated.

Zimbabwe has 100,000 elephants against its carrying capacity of 45,000.

"If trends continue at this rate we are going to have a major disaster," national parks chief Morris Mutsambiwa warned.

"Vegetation will be destroyed and water will run out in parks. If we have a major drought we are going to have massive deaths of elephants and other animals as they run out of food and water," he said. –– AFP

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9409 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you say,"Fire sale?"

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
I have plenty of ammo just in case bob calls and wants some help with his elephant problem.jj

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:

In May the National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority invited Zimbabwean farmers to buy elephants to decongest areas where elephant populations are concentrated.

This must be the new farmers such as "Farmer Mpofu", "Farmer Joshua", "Farmer Ngeni". I wonder if the elephant would fit on a 2 acre subsistence maize farm? bewildered

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many of us would show up for the "fire sale". I'm ready!

"If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote