Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant Ears
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted
Here are two pictures of the finished elephant ears that I have had Life Form Taxidermy do for me from my last elephant hunt. They are hand-painted.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Great looking wall hangers! I have an elephant ear, given to me by a friend, that is still dry cured, and has never been tanned, but I can't find anyone who is willing to tan it! I want to make ammo belts out of it. Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Use Enough- Those are really COOL!!!! thumb

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where is Life Form? Can a Botswana Elephant go to them for tanning, etc.

York, SC

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a painting done as well, see my post "African stuff all hung".

Contact Lions and O'Haver Taxi in San Diego (they have a website) for tanning of ele hide. They had some done for me and it is outstanding.

Brett

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
UEG,
I like 'em both but the top one with the Rowland Ward map of Africa is way cool!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Those look GREAT! That is some really good art work. Congrats.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Here is an ear in a PH friends home in Bulawayo. This was done by Don Reeve at Matabeleland Taxidermy in Bulawayo. He now has a shop in Port Alfred SA, Wild Africa Taxidermy. Does really nice work.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Looks great! I hope I have one some day.(or should I say two)

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigBBear: Life Form Taxidermy is located in White River, South Africa and their website is www.lifeform.co.za The contact that I have used there is Bridgit. I am sure that they can take elephant ears from Botswana for taxidermy work. Contact Bridgit and find out what you need to do. By the way, that lion painting by Don Reeve is awesome too!

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I really should have pic of the other 4 that go with it. One of each of the Big5. Can't find the file though. They may be on film and I haven't gotten them to digital yet. The Leopard and Buffalo are equally as nice as the Lion. Don does a very good job.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The map is cool but I think I like the wildlife shots the best.I gotta get me some of those.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Need some help from you guys with experience at this. I have a very short time to plan. I am leaving on the 2nd of August for Botswana. Hope to get a good bull and that is most likely the only animal I will hunt. I most export tusks and most likely would like to bring back ears for items similar to this post as well as the feet, legs for bar stools. Question is how can I get my Bots bull tanned, etc, in Africa whether Bots or SA, and then import all as one? I assume the outfitter will have ideas as to this but would be interested in any and all experience doing this and or using taxidermists in Africa. Not only with costs lower there but weight of skin would be much reduced after thinning, tanning, etc. Comments please?

Thanks,

Larry

York, SC

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
Here is an ear in a PH friends home in Bulawayo. This was done by Don Reeve at Matabeleland Taxidermy in Bulawayo. He now has a shop in Port Alfred SA, Wild Africa Taxidermy. Does really nice work.

The thing is beautifully done, but am I seeing things,or is the shape of Africa backwards! The lion seems to be painted on the wrong side or the ear. Confused

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry: Get in touch with Bridgit at Life Form. They can have ALL of that done for you. I am shortly to receive from them, my elephant tusks mounted in beautiful bases, my painted ears, my elephant feet made into stools, my tanned elephant hide and my trunk made into a floor lamp. In addition, if you have your hide made into items like gun cases, ammo belts, purses, etc. while there, it too can be shipped, together with the other items to you. However, I also called Coppersmith and they informed me that the US wants to change that to declare anything that you have made from your hide to be commercial goods and subject to duty/tax. They have not done that as of yet, but have proposed a rule change for that. As long as you have your foreign Cites permits and paperwork, you can get all of that done over there and they do beautiful work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Use Enough. I will call her. I tried today but they were not in. PM me your real name if you wish and I will pass on our association. May be good for others in the future. Curious what they charged you for taxidermy, mounting tusks, etc. if you would share.

Thanks,

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
MacD37, They have 2 ears you know and they are the reverse of each other one being on each side. The PICTURE is a Lion not a map of Africa.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe-I appreciate what you are saying but as Mac states,if they turned tha ear around and painted on the other side it would serve pretty well as a map of Africa.

Regardless.If you have a link to this taxidermist please post it.I would like to talk to him about obtaining some of his work.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use enough gun and zimbabwe, thank you for posting the photos, fantastic.

Zimbabwe, I really like the lion painted on the ear. The first thing that I noticed was that the ear looks like a silhouette of a lion. To the right side of the painting resembles a lions head and mouth. I do not know if the artist wanted to do that on purpose, but it could not have come out better.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9501 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of john e
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesNEED ELE EAR !!!!!
I would like to commission an artist for such a project, except I do not have the proper canvas....AN EAR !!! Does anyone have a tanned LEFT ear they could sell/trade/barter?????

PLEASE PM

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 443 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry: I will send you a PM. Prices may vary as to the work performed (actual picture because they are hand painted by an artist) and I would hate to quote you prices that I have no authority to quote you. Kathi: Very perceptive! Are you one of those that can look at those cartoons in the newspaper and pick out all of the missing or different items?!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
MacD37, They have 2 ears you know and they are the reverse of each other one being on each side. The PICTURE is a Lion not a map of Africa.

NO S*&T, one on each side? Well damn you learn something new every day! Roll Eyes

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have experience with an elephant from Botswana going through SA for taxidermy processing. For that matter any other country such as Zim would probably have the same rules. Or does someone know of good taxidermy, tanning, etc. in Bots. I leave Wed. and will alter my plans to bring back to the US if there are better options. I am a bit concerned that the ivory will need to accompany the hide and all be together for US import. Could the Ivory be at risk while in SA taxidermist? Appreciate all comments.

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Eyedoc and Kathi,
I think the ear is split and the skin glued to a hard backing. Don Reeve has a web page at Wild Africa Taxidermy that has a lot of pictures of his work and Information about his operation.I met him about 10 years ago and have hunted with him a couple of times on a friends property. Last time I saw him was 2 years ago and he was living in Port Alfred and only spending parttime in Bulawayo.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've had these folks tan elephant leather. It seems they said they could do ears too and I know they'll do feet.

Specialty Leather Processors

They did a find job in my book.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote