Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Hunt Mahenge TZ
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted
I'll be hunting the Mahenge area on the west side of the Selous for my first Buff in Sept/Oct. and, of course, I'm curious as hell as to what it's like - thick or open, climate, topography, etc.
Can anyone tell me about it? PHOTO'S???? Eeker

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whom are you hunting with? We were there two years ago.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Mafigeni Safaris - Claude and Jill Kleynhans.

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Mahenge South or North? Makes a big difference.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Sir,

Don't worry, Claude will find you a good Buffalo.
There are enough Buffalo there.

Best,
Phil
http://www.go-on-safari.com

Professional Hunter - Tanzania

Posts: 88 | Location: So. Cal & Tanzania | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Phil! thumb

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari12:
Mahenge South or North? Makes a big difference.

I don't have that information.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Mehenge area last year...at least that what the sign said. Do you no what concession you will be hunting? I will have to look up the specific area we hunted.

Plenty of Buffalo and plains game...had a great time.

When are you going? I went middle of September to Oct 1 last year. Going middle of July to Aug 1 this year hunting in R2 this year.

Good luck on your trip!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Almost the exact same dates - 9/24-10/4. Nope, don't know the concession. Ahhhhhh, blissful ignorance! clap

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We are going to be hunting in the Mahenge area next August.

Will give you a full report on our return.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
We are going to be hunting in the Mahenge area next August.

Will give you a full report on our return.

Ohhhh, maaaannnn! bawling I've seen your videos Saeed! Please leave me something worth bringing back! Pleeeeeeeeze don't shoot everything!!! jump

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about Saeed shooting up the place. He has a video guy who moonlights for Dream Works and all the stuff is Star Wars technology. Our host is a PETA supporter! Between trying to avoid Walter's "events" and recovering from giggling 7/24, how could anyone hunt?

jump

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Almostacowboy, I don't know the area, but I do know Claude & Jill. They have a enviable reputation for great service. You'll have a great time.

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Mahenge several times, but I don't recall if it was North or South, I tend to believe it was Mahenge South, but it had lots of Buffalo and a decent amount of plainsgame at the time....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted the same block in the Selous as jjs, following him into camp, that was block IJ1. Chartered into Mahenge then trucked two and a half hours to the block and hunted the first ten days of October. Plenty of Buffalo, lots of everything else except Wildebeest, saw a few just as we were leaving. Weather was in low to mid 90's daily, no rain, beautiful rolling terrain, from thick to thin jesse, some open plains. An unforgetable hunt for me, being my first trip to Africa. thumb Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for answering the questions asked, Phurley. thumb

DAve

Picture of Mguu
posted Hide Post
Mahenge is an open area and not part of the selous game reserve.

Posts: 23 | Location: Tanzania-Germany | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote