THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Don't like canned lion hunts? Member of Facebook?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't like canned lion hunts? Member of Facebook?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted
http://www.facebook.com/group....2203c&gid=6451794111

Then join this group. Don't let the anti's own this issue. We need to have everyone hear our position or others will define it for us.

As hunters we need to get better at the new media.

John

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not sign on as there is way too much anti hunting sentiment, the official website of the group states:

What we're about
BAN TROPHY HUNTING
The mission is to get all trophy hunting banned in South Africa, since all trophy hunting in South Africa is canned to a greater or lesser extent. To that end, The Campaign Against Canned Hunting has put together a comprehensive audio visual presentation which has been shown to thousands of people from all walks of life in S.A.,Kenya and U.K.

There are far too few fools on that group and it will probably do more harm than good to join it.

I will be creating a new group this morning.

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
I think they need to be engaged on every front. If we just keep to ourselves then they can define the message and define us as they see fit.

But I agree, that bit about all hunting in SA being canned is a bit much.

The nutcases can't be allowed to make unchallenged statements to the middle 80%.

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
I have taken John's advice, went there, joined and only then started really reading. They support a related group www.cannedlion.org from which page the following has been copied:

quote:
For ethical tourists who wish to ensure their tourist dollars do not fall into the hands of persons involved in the hunting industry, we offer a certification service whereby eco-tourism resorts are audited to ensure that there is no direct or indirect involvement with hunting.

I cannot and will not support such a group. Mad Join and fight from within? ConfusedYes. WinkBut support? Eeker NEVER! thumbdown

Thanks 458Aubs for noting that the Facebook is just an anti-hunting group. As said, I've already joined before even reading the home ppage, and only then did I see the South African group, which even just scanning the home page is clearly an anti-hunter group.

Having already joined Facebook, I will take a bit of a wait and see attitude before I start fighting them from within if that is the correct action in my opinion.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think we should get the troop to rally and swell within their ranks - once we have a sufficient fighting force take the page by storm and turn it pro-hunting anti canned lion hunting. Its no use trying to fight the hunny buggers . . . lol on your own, you will get ripped to pieces.

join http://www.facebook.com/home.p...p.php?gid=2207968343 its rather pointless but a good laugh - PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Read the wall of this group especialy the guy from namibia
http://www.facebook.com/s.php?...61a6&gid=11946139245

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
link does not work, whats the groups name?

One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Aubs

I would not lose sleep about fb groups. Most of the trillion little groups have a handfull of posts, mostly by one person. Have a look. Simply by scanning all the fb groups you can join - and people do here & there just 'cause they can. Thet scratch around looking for these complete wacky groups and join, mess around for a day or two and never go back - because they've found a new group. Some random examples ...

Everything that is cool group
People Against Dangerous Drivering
Too Many Of My Mornings Start With "Man... I was FUCKED Last Night!!"
We went to all girl's school, now we're fucked up because of it.
obesity is a good thinbg because fat kids are harder to kidnapp
Concerned Citizens Against Asian Girls Dating Fat Ugly White People
The skid mark appreciation society
Food fetish group; Recipes and edvices of fantastic sweets,dessets.
Sexy underwear everyday is important, what if you get in a car crash?
My Friends Are Getting Married. I'm Just Getting Drunk. (174,000 members!!!!)
The I ♥ the awesome spider-cowboy-spaceman-ninja-pastor sid club
I don't just judge you when you use poor grammar, I think you're a moron.

etc etc etc

Need I say more?

(Actually, some of these group name are quite funny! Big Grin I line the one about the sexy underwear! rotflmo)

Johan

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would not lose sleep about fb groups. Most of the trillion little groups have a handfull of posts, mostly by one person

There are some pro-hunting groups too, even some that are decidedly red-necked!

Posts: 786 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458Aubs:
I think we should get the troop to rally and swell within their ranks - once we have a sufficient fighting force take the page by storm and turn it pro-hunting anti canned lion hunting. Its no use trying to fight the hunny buggers . . . lol on your own, you will get ripped to pieces.

join http://www.facebook.com/home.p...p.php?gid=2207968343 its rather pointless but a good laugh - PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

+1 exactly. Don't let them have a conversation without some of our reasoned input. Of course we don't send them money... that would be like sending Iran missile parts.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
that would be like sending Iran missile parts.

clap Yes something like that.

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Facebook does have a good Scrabble game called Lexulous that is quite addicting. Otherwise, Facebook isn't worth my time.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Maybe some entreprenuer member WITH LOTS of time (AND SOME MONEY) on their hands could make a KILLING (excude the pun) and set up a BRAND NEW information website for HUNTERS that was along the same lines as facebook and the other community sites which have proved extremely popular worldwide.

Maybe call it HUNTBOOK or some similar catch phrase

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bahati:
Aubs

I would not lose sleep about fb groups. Most of the trillion little groups have a handfull of posts, mostly by one person. Have a look. Simply by scanning all the fb groups you can join - and people do here & there just 'cause they can. Thet scratch around looking for these complete wacky groups and join, mess around for a day or two and never go back - because they've found a new group. Some random examples ...

Everything that is cool group
People Against Dangerous Drivering
Too Many Of My Mornings Start With "Man... I was FUCKED Last Night!!"
We went to all girl's school, now we're fucked up because of it.
obesity is a good thinbg because fat kids are harder to kidnapp
Concerned Citizens Against Asian Girls Dating Fat Ugly White People
The skid mark appreciation society
Food fetish group; Recipes and edvices of fantastic sweets,dessets.
Sexy underwear everyday is important, what if you get in a car crash?
My Friends Are Getting Married. I'm Just Getting Drunk. (174,000 members!!!!)
The I ♥ the awesome spider-cowboy-spaceman-ninja-pastor sid club
I don't just judge you when you use poor grammar, I think you're a moron.

etc etc etc

Need I say more?

(Actually, some of these group name are quite funny! Big Grin I line the one about the sexy underwear! rotflmo)

Lol there are some funny one's - remember the whoha caused by the group " ek hou nie van houtkoppe nie - so wat?" laughed my ass off. there is also another one stop Zuma from becoming president, but log onto "hoekom jag ons? want ons kan"

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
It would be more fun if I could read Afrikans

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
link does not work, whats the groups name?

put trophy hunting into the search block i think its the second page the photo is off a shot buffalo with 2 guys sitting next to it

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balla Balla:
Maybe some entreprenuer member WITH LOTS of time (AND SOME MONEY) on their hands could make a KILLING (excude the pun) and set up a BRAND NEW information website for HUNTERS that was along the same lines as facebook and the other community sites which have proved extremely popular worldwide.

Maybe call it HUNTBOOK or some similar catch phrase

Cheers, Peter

I keep hearing www.camospace.com is exactly that. Any members here?

For that matter is there an accuratereloading group on facebook?

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
That's great. Hunters can keep talking to themselves. You guys are missing the point. While we insulate ourselves and form our own little groups the antis are growing. There propaganda is attracting a larger and larger following. We shy away from challenging them and it makes there job easier.

As a group our PR strategy is incomplete. Over time the antis will gain enough votes to change things. In some ways they already have.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnHunt:
quote:

+1 exactly. Don't let them have a conversation without some of our reasoned input. Of course we don't send them money... that would be like sending Iran missile parts.

JohnHunt and .458aubs,

The more I think about the suggestion to " join them, don't support financially, and fight from within...", the more appealing the idea becomes.

Just BTW, I have never, OK make that in more recent years, been pulled to pieces by the antis - even when greatly outnumbered: I've developed an argument line that gets them beaten 100% of the time! I will not reveal the way or argument here, it takes too long. But I now consider it my duty as a hunter to put a lot of effort into writing down and explaining the method so that others can also use it to pull the wool over the antis! For me, it works every time if I have enough time to carry through the whole argument properly.

Meantime I await a reply to an email sent to Campaign Against Canned Hunting [http://www.cannedlion.org/] in which I requested a clear answer to my question: "Are you only against 'canned' hunting or are you against 'all' hunting?" Confused

BTW, I just love venision, and would like to join the group People Eat Tasty Animals, where can I go to join them? Big Grin Maybe I should Google these words and see what comes up?

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
What we really need is a dedicated organisation that represents hunters worldwide and has pots of money to launch a pro-active worldwide PR campaign to explain to the public how hunting benefits wild game populations.

Oh wait a minute, we've already got one of those!

rotflmo jumping rotflmo

Ah shit, there's aother two ribs gone! clap Wink

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

I've got a good start on the fight from within. stir

I just posted this in response to an exerp from a discusion on the group page.

"We support the CACH campaign to ban ALL hunting in South Africa, which is ALL canned to some degree."

There is most certainly "canned hunting" or "put and take" hunting that occurs in South Africa. To say that all or almost all hunting in South Africa is "canned" is a gross misrepresentation of the facts. The vast majority of hunting in South Africa is for native plains game species (antelope i.e. not loins, elephants, leopard, buffalo). These animals are free ranging on large (often 10k or 100k+ acres) private ranches. Many of these ranches were once cattle or sheep ranches devoid of any native animals after colonization wiped out the native game herds. Because of the demand by sport hunters and the fact that wildlife is more successful at living in most African nations than livestock many of these ranches have been repopulated with wild game at great expense to the ranch owners. As stated previously the sure size of some of these ranches must be seen to be believed.

Most of the ranches are fenced, but there are several reasons for this. Fences keep out poachers as much as they keep game inside. The fences are also necessary to protect the investment that ranchers have made when restocking animals on their ranches. It's not smart to spend tens of thousands of dollars on bringing game back and improving their habitat to have it wander of onto you're neighbor's cattle ranch to be shot or never return. The biological habits of most of these animals dictates that their home ranges are much smaller than the fenced in ranches. I guess my point is that in a fair sized ranch large numbers of game could spend their whole lives without ever seeing a fence even though the fence is present.

The hunting industry of South Africa in conjunction with photographic game parks, and the wildlife department are responsible for bringing the white rhino back from extinction. CITES has permitted a certain number of white rhino to be hunted in South Africa every year. This has created a demand that has seen the introduction of white rhino populations and the creation of breeding programs on hunting ranches. The white rhino population has skyrocketed in recent years with a very large percent (I believe the majority) of South African white rhino on private land. With CITES recent approval of a VERY conservative number of black rhino to be hunted in South Africa every year the same thing is now happening with the black rhino. Its numbers are on the rise in South Africa. Like the white rhino most of the black rhino in South Africa are on private land.

If hunting were to be banned in South Africa it would remove the economic incentive for many ranchers to repopulate there ranches. The wild game would be destroyed on many ranches to make way for livestock once again. Some might say they could switch from hunting to photo tourism. This is true and some would, but you can't have thousands more photo tourism ranches in South Africa when the current demand for photo tourism is already being met.

Legal sport hunting is not a threat to wildlife today in Africa. The greatest threats are habitat loss, meat poaching, and large scale (sometimes even government sponsored) poaching operations. Hunting (legal sport hunting, not poaching) is being recognized by mainstream leading conservationist and wildlife researchers as a beneficial tool in conservation. Hunting provides economic stimulus to rural communities through jobs which takes away the need to poach game. Hunting companies educate local people about the economic benefits of wildlife and the need to preserve it rather than irradiate it to protect livestock or clear land for fields. Hunters also patrol hunting areas which assists the wildlife authorities in stopping poaching and apprehending poachers.

I am a hunter and I have joined this group because I agree that canned lion hunting is deplorable and should be stopped immediately. Please do not let canned lion shooting color your view of hunting as hunting has its benefits to wildlife.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I'm foaming at the mouth for feedback from the other members.
knife
Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
nice

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
I'm foaming at the mouth for feedback from the other members.
knife
Brett

Feedback from thas AR group is going to be along these lines: "Well done for posting a well written and solid piece on an 'anti' site!" That is certainly my view. Congratulations and hunter's thanks.

Feedback from the anti-group? I'll join and watch the forum to see what drivel the anti's will come up with. If appropriate I'll post in support of your views, that I certainly endorse and share.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Nice one Brett!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HuntersNetworks.com is the facebook for hunters. Like facebook you can add photos in different albums, blogs, post articles, comment on others photos, make friends, etc. It is a very interactive site.

It also has a great species location database which lists all the big game animal species found in the world linked to locations where they can be hunted.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Brett,

That was a well written and excelent answer.

Unfortunately, you are presenting it to liberals. The majority of them are not capable of grasping reason, therefore, your words are lost on them.

If they could grasp reason, then they would not be liberal to start with.

However, there are a large number of simply misguided youth that fall into this mindset because it is "in" and it is "green" and they are just misinformed.

Presenting them with this kind of information is very beneficial.

There is no way to convince them all, but if you get through to a small percentage, you have a victory.

Well done.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you must consider everything in context for it to make sense.

There are two kinds of people in the world: good and evil by birth or inculcation by older evil people. Heredity or or environmental, it makes no difference.

Liberals refuse to believe that. You have to either accept the fact that there are such people, or failing that, convince yourself that inanimate objects are responsible, and removing them from public possession will keep evil people from coming under the influence of wicked "things". To accept the good VS evil truth is to accept the fact that we need to keep evil people locked away to protect the rest of us, or do away with them.

The truth is not palatable to Liberals. It is a much better public posture to say that "...guns are evil, and kill people, and we need to restrict or ban possession; than to say "...these particular people are evil and we have to incarcerate them for life or execute them...before they harm any more of us.

sad for America...

Rich
Cape Buffalo Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of My24462
posted Hide Post
I don't support canned lion hunt . . .

But banning all hunt!!! I want to see that!

Those(ANTI pissers ) have no idea, what kind of the revenue government
are receiving directly and indirectly in South African.

And there're a lot of family depend on it. Go to tell those pissers
to give money to feed the family that depend on the industry, and funding
to control the game population after total hunting ban. I would like to
see what pissers they going to said.

Yes, animal are getting kill during the hunt, but as for all the burgers and chicken
fillets. As a responsible HUNTER and MAN, we all want to do it in the most humane and
quick clean killed as possible.

Killing are not hunting, is the experience out the field and the story we share with
friends and family, it make me more humble and more respect life when I become a hunter.

Posts: 15 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote