THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Masailand/ Cape Buff Hunt... [ can't afford....change of plans]

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Masailand/ Cape Buff Hunt... [ can't afford....change of plans]
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Masailand Enchantment

Masailand...PLEASE tell me more about this place for those of you who dream to hunt it OR have already!

[ can't afford Masailand....change of plans] And thank you GDF and 7kongoni for your replies!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
This is the most tough my buffalo hunt.It was last October. Kitumbene mount, 2900m above sea.I was lucky,took 43 1/4" buff with huge boss in first day.Need to have good phisical condition and expect long shooting(for average buff hunt). Need to have high gaiters and some stuff for ticks. This mount has a lot of ticks, I picked up on my clothing hundreds every day.

Posts: 146 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: 03 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Luke Samaras' Masailand concession in mid october of '97. It was very dry and most buff had migrated into the park west of there where there was a source of water. The hunting was tough but I do not know if that is typical for that time of year. That said, it was still a tremendous experience of "old Africa".

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Mt Kitumbumbie (sp?) a few years ago....we spike camped there for my outstanding EA Bush Buck and also took a great EA (Pattersons) Eland there...due to my age and bad knees, horses were contracted to get us up to Camp....hunting was still pretty tuff....we saw Cape Buffalo everyday and had a wonderful old dugga come into a waterhole that I could have easily have taken from our Bush Buck spotting position, unfortunately, the Buff tag had been pulled and elsewhere awarded. In all honesty, it was an add-on but my PH and I thought we had a tag until he got a call just before we left for the mountain hunt. I had a great hunt with many animals I will not be able to afford again and do not blame the outfitter for cancelling our opportunity to take a super Cape Buffalo...they are profit motivated after all....Gerenuk was also cancelled after I booked....no blame but neither the PH I had nor I will hunt with them again...

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
Masailand Enchantment

M
[ can't afford Masailand....change of plans] And thank you GDF and 7kongoni for your replies!

I hope you'll have this hunt later. Great hunt.I dreamed about it several yars.

Posts: 146 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: 03 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom In Tennessee:
I hunted Mt Kitumbumbie (sp?) a few years ago....we spike camped there for my outstanding EA Bush Buck and also took a great EA (Pattersons) Eland there...due to my age and bad knees, horses were contracted to get us up to Camp....hunting was still pretty tuff....we saw Cape Buffalo everyday and had a wonderful old dugga come into a waterhole that I could have easily have taken from our Bush Buck spotting position, unfortunately, the Buff tag had been pulled and elsewhere awarded. In all honesty, it was an add-on but my PH and I thought we had a tag until he got a call just before we left for the mountain hunt. I had a great hunt with many animals I will not be able to afford again and do not blame the outfitter for cancelling our opportunity to take a super Cape Buffalo...they are profit motivated after all....Gerenuk was also cancelled after I booked....no blame but neither the PH I had nor I will hunt with them again...

Four years ago this area(lake Naton south) bought TWC. Great company.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First year of new ownership when I hunted....

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RichP470
posted Hide Post
I hunted Masailand last November w TAWICO and Daniel Moore as my ph on a cancellation hunt. We had an amazing hunt where I took 14 phenomenal trophies in Lake Natron South. I hunted mount Kitumbene w 2 buff on license but due to a change in weather, the buffalo dispersed on to the sides of the mountain and we couldn't connect. We were also after kongoni and searched all boundaries and everything in between high and low but could not locate any.

Masailand was one of the hunts on the top of my list and I am glad that I could get it on a cancellation hunt. If you get the opportunity, do it. It is a wonderful hunt with many unique animals to hunt. I couldn't wait to see the Masai people and experience their culture, but was blown away by how many people I saw. Unfortunately there has been a population explosion in the last 20 years, and it is not helping the animal population.

Posts: 72 | Location: Saratoga, CA | Registered: 16 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
I hanted with Daniel before you. Nice guy, and hardworking PH.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RICHP, I missed an easy shot (too close?) on an outstanding EA Impala...we stretched our hunting to try to find me one....did not, but the miss led to finding a very nice Kongoni just passing thru at edge of concession. Game Scout said first Kongoni in 9 years....

One of Us
Picture of RichP470
posted Hide Post
GDF, I do remember seeing pictures of some of the trophies you took. I was bummed we could not find buffalo as we looked high and low on Kitumbene and on another mountain where I took a Chandlers Mountain Reedbuck. Daniel was a great guy and I may be hunting with him in Cameroon in the near future for bongo.

Tom there are some outstanding impala in Natron South, but not as many as I would have expected. We had to work hard for it. I shot an above average impala, but we could not connect on a couple that were high 20" pushing 30".

TAWICO was a first class operation from top to bottom. I would hunt with them again in the future.

Posts: 72 | Location: Saratoga, CA | Registered: 16 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichP470:

there are some outstanding impala in Natron South, but not as many as I would have expected.

We spent for impala whole day but saw once only femele.We were leaving from that area in the evening and I sayd aloud "I'll not get fucking impala" jast after that moment we saw nice ram. It crossed road and stood 130m from us.Neck shot and I took the gift from hunting fortune.