Find
Notify
Tools

.405 WINCHESTER FOR DANFEROUS GAME
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HI FOLKS,
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS USED ONE OF THE NEW 1895 WINCHESTERS IN .405 WIN. ON THE DARK CONTINENT'S TOUGHEST CUSTOMERS?

HOW DO YOU THINK IT WOULD DO IN ITS 21ST CENTURY
EDITION. IS IT STILL "BIG MEDICINE"? OR IS IT JUST MARKETING HYPE AND NOSTALGIA FOR A MARGINAL DANGEROUS GAME ROUND/RIFLE COMBINATION?

GOOD SHOOTING,
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
There is an article on the .405 Winchester in the October issue of "Guns & Ammo."

Some of your questions are addressed--you might want to check it out.

Posts: 1548 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My god, I hope that the Prosecutor of the Undernourished Kinetic Energy (aka PUKE) doesn't see this thread and start a "Is the .405 big enough For Dangerous Game" thread. All we need is another 300 post discussion of nothing of value. [Big Grin]

[ 09-07-2002, 04:37: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 405 would be fine for leopard and lion.

But it is lacking in bullet weight, sectional density and velocity to be considered for the larger DG.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The 405 Win is no better today, than it was in 1906 when TR took it to Africa, and wounded just about everything he shot with it! The 1895/405 win was relegated to plains game, and the buffalo, and Rhino were all take with two H&H double rifles. One was a 500/465NE, and the other was a 450NE 3.25". [Wink]

The 1895/405 is a very good Moose rifle, that might do for the cats over bait, if good loads are worked up, useing some quality bullets, of sufieient weight! [Cool]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
If you want an unusual playtoy of Asiatic origins, complete with a 21st century, worthless-as-tits-on-a-side-of-bacon, lawyer-designed tang safety and rebounding hammer, then the recreated Model 95 in .405 Winchester might just be your huckleberry............

If you want a serious hunting rifle for Africa's dangerous game, I suggest you look into something else.

AD