THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    SCI Convention etiquette and code of conduct

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI Convention etiquette and code of conduct
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Double Rifle
posted
I'm attending the convention in Las Vegas, and seeking advice from veteran visitors.

I'm not new to shows since I've been many times to shows and gamefairs around the world, but it's my first time in SCI and want to make sure I'll enjoy my visit.

Generally speaking, do I need to ask permission to handle weapons on display? What if I wanted to break open the action or cycle the bolt of a gun? Should I ask first if I should do that? Same goes for pulling the trigger. Should I ask someone to provide snap caps first? Asking before doing things is always good, but in the mean time I do not want to be asking excessively if it's not really needed.

How about weapons inside glass displays? Is it rude to ask to handle these if I'm not intending to buy?

Other than shopping for rifles, I will also compare offerings and book a safari. If I start chatting with someone and they became pushy or said things such as "you have to book now or you'll miss the special show prices", what is the best way to walk away without appearing rude?

Cheers

Posts: 53 | Location: Florida | Registered: 27 June 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Civilized manners and the golden rule will work.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
#1 rule for me is to have fun. But yeah, Golden Rule rules.
I do lot's of research ahead of time so visiting the booth is usually just a formality anyway.
A polite, "Thank you for your time, I'll get back with you once I've made my decision." is how I handle it. Usually I do give them feedback later.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Double Rifle,

I don't think there is any special Code of Conduct for the show. Just politely ask the exhibitors about handling the guns. If someone is pushy just say "Thanks" and move on. If you want the none pushy approach and a variety of safari choices come see me at booths 3495-3499. I'll give you straight up info only with no BS.

Hope you enjoy the show. There's nothing quite like it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
As a guy who has only been to one show, I can appreciate this post. It took me a little bit get the “feel” of when I could handle without asking, etc. Westley Richards were very accommodating, H&H seemed a little stuffy but no worries. George Caswell was also a “have at it” kind of guy. Of course I think he had the most guns there, too. Overall you will have a good time and it’s kind of mind blowing to meet so many great people and see so many fine guns. Wish I could make it.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Most high end dealers have small placards saying don’t handle without permission. Always ask first. For safaris, just say you are comparing offers but haven’t decided which country you want to hunt or what game.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
DR,

It is THE "Greatest Show on Earth" as far as hunting and firearms goes.

To specifically address the gun handling question, There are every single one of your concerns addressed, at different levels. Hell there is even one booth of fine rifles (I can't recall the name) that even says..."NO PICTURES" Why even come to a show then, eh?

Walk, look, enjoy. People watching is as good as the guns, too.

Also, as to the question about shopping for a safari. One of my pet peeves, and I am 10000000% sure the outfitters as well, Why on earth do past clients capitalize the time outfitters set aside to talk to NEW and potential clients? I rarely even stop by, just a hello, handshake and move along. Something many here might consider when hanging out at their pals booth's.

Regards,

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
As a guy who has only been to one show, I can appreciate this post. It took me a little bit get the “feel” of when I could handle without asking, etc. Westley Richards were very accommodating, H&H seemed a little stuffy but no worries. George Caswell was also a “have at it” kind of guy. Of course I think he had the most guns there, too. Overall you will have a good time and it’s kind of mind blowing to meet so many great people and see so many fine guns. Wish I could make it.

I agree with your comment about George, however, I believe many or even most are on consignment?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I always take off any rings or watches before handles firearms. Especially, those that are not my own, and I have not paid for.

Posts: 11976 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please and thank you go a long way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
DR,

Also, as to the question about shopping for a safari. One of my pet peeves, and I am 10000000% sure the outfitters as well, Why on earth do past clients capitalize the time outfitters set aside to talk to NEW and potential clients? I rarely even stop by, just a hello, handshake and move along. Something many here might consider when hanging out at their pals booth's.

Regards,

Steve

I 100% agree.

There are so many people trying to speak with the outfitters, that I rarely attempt to speak with them at the show. If they have no one there, then I talk to them. Otherwise, I wait until after the show. One gets a lot more of their undivided attention.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are more likely to find a specific exhibitor without a crowded booth if you go to the booth immediately after the show opens in the morning, especially on Thursday or Friday.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always ask if I may pick up a gun.
I never tell people what I will give them...if I think something is overpriced or I can not afford it I will ask if they would consider another offer? Those along with please and thanks seem to get me down any aisle I need to go.
I always thank folks for asking me if they can handle my goods.
Hope to see all the AR folks at our Tuffpak booth at DSC next week.
Better tomorrows!

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim has it nailed. If you want to seriously talk to one of the exhibitors come when the show opens or make a specific appointment so they will be available to you. I've found this works very well.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always ask before handling a fire arm no matter where you are I quit doing gun shows because of this, people would grab a gun even if you had a sign up. As far as pushy outfitters just say thanks and move on

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nail hit on the head about past clients monopolizing an outfitters time.I wait my turn to talk or leave a business card to contact me.But if an outfitter or employee breaks off our conversation to engage someone else ,I'm gone.I have also made appointments before the show comes to town to meet.

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvrhunter:
Nail hit on the head about past clients monopolizing an outfitters time.I wait my turn to talk or leave a business card to contact me.But if an outfitter or employee breaks off our conversation to engage someone else ,I'm gone.I have also made appointments before the show comes to town to meet.

I went two or three years ago with the specific intent of booking a Stone Sheep/Goat Hunt. I was 100% percent unsuccessful talking to a single outfitter. I stood around waiting for all his past clients to finish their "getting caught up" only to lose out to yet another past client.

The surprising part was that the outfitter(s)were completely complicit. Don't they understand why they are even there?

Not my business but certainly my time and my money. I'll waste none of either.

I moved along...

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year, we went to purchase two antler chandeliers for a log home we just built.

I found the guy I wanted. He was really busy. We went the following morning, waiting at the door, for the show to open.

We showed up first. He stated "I saw you folks standing around waiting last night, thanks for coming back"

Chandeliers are here and installed. Perfect transaction for both parties.

Formerly "Nganga"

posted Hide Post
As far as past clients go, I've been guilty of that myself, but then, I've booked three times with one outfitter, twice with another . . .

Past clients have proven they are prepared to hunt with you, and if they're talking to you -politely at least - any reasonable outfitter would think they are a more likely bet for a second safari than someone who has never booked with them before. Equally, referrals will come from past clients, and are a more likely - and cheaper - source of new business than a walk-up.

So I'd think that an outfitter would invest his time where he believes he has the best chance of success. Brushing off a past client makes very little sense to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A smile and R.E.S.P.E.C.T. will get you anywhere at SCI. Everybody there is on the same team.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was politely waiting ar DSC this week on two different occasions....
On both occasions (and a total of three times) "past clients" deliberately stepped in front of me to "cartch up" and introduce family in one case and friends in another.(and me and another potential client were quite clearly waiting)
At one point I started to get pretty pissed off as I was being polite and patient and they very clearly were not (and the outfitter had that look where they didn't know how to get out of the conversation)
It all worked out in the end, but I was close to walking away from a hunt I wanted to go on.....

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hank2211:
As far as past clients go, I've been guilty of that myself, but then, I've booked three times with one outfitter, twice with another . . .

Past clients have proven they are prepared to hunt with you, and if they're talking to you -politely at least - any reasonable outfitter would think they are a more likely bet for a second safari than someone who has never booked with them before. Equally, referrals will come from past clients, and are a more likely - and cheaper - source of new business than a walk-up.

So I'd think that an outfitter would invest his time where he believes he has the best chance of success. Brushing off a past client makes very little sense to me.

Your point is valid. However, don't you think that seeing as they spend vast amounts of money, spend huge amounts of time away from family, They would like to invest the time on clients they "likely don't already have"?

Wen they see you, they might make a mental calculation that they don't need to glad-hand you, as intently as the new guy asking questions.

Formerly "Nganga"