THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Is High Fence hunting less ethical then free roaming
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is High Fence hunting less ethical then free roaming
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer,
Maybe in texas with exotics but try the math on kudu hunting on 5K, what is the bull/cow ratio? I don't know. What is the hectare or acre's needed per bull? I don't know. Then; how many trophy hunters per year?, then what is most likely the number one sought after trophy? probably kudu? then how long does a kudu take from calf to 48" bull 5-6 years ? again I dont know but the numbers in my mind just dont add up.

Take mcdjph's post, his numbers not mine a kudu herd needs 1200-1700 acres? lets say he's wrong by 2/3rds and they only need 400 acres. Now lets say there are three shootable bulls per herd which is also overly generous. 5K acres has on the highside 36 shooter bulls. FOR ONE YEAR then what? I think the numbers are more like mcdjph states.

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone looking for a nice black and white answer on either side of this question just isnt going to get it. There are just too many variables in the equation. It is much easier to say what we dont want than define what any of us believe is appropriate. I think we all agree that shooting an animal on too small of a property is colouring outside the lines. I also dont think many of us can say what that is, outside of shooting in a pen. The topography as well as the type of vegetation and cover plays a part. The normal range of the animals as well as their insticts and behavior another. Food supply is another. What about acclimation to people? Can the animals hide, outrun and otherwise get away from their pursuers? In the purist form hunting without fences is the ideal. In reality fences are there as much to keep things out as in. Put and take also leaves a bad taste in many mouths but the reality is without it there isnt enough to sustain the populations. Until the majority of the people quit reproducing and encroach more and more it is just the way it is.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
When you drive thru a high fence gate and then drive another hour to get to the area you are going to hunt. Oh yea the truck is in good working order. I just can't find any way one could worry about fair chase based on high fencing alone as the criteria of FC.

+1 tu2
Sit down and think about it for a minute 20. . 30. . 40 000 acres in flat ground you will get lost without a guide!
my concessions surounding me are 35 000 and 40 000 respectively both fenced with photographic big 3 (bufalo , rhino, elephant)
Many time we dont see the Elephant at all in 3 solid days of hunting.
followed a wounded wildebeest for 8hrs over 4 miles. we never came close to the boundary.
. . Fair chase.. I THINK SO
Cool
Dave

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote