Notify
Tools

Re: Muzzle Brakes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

Guys

I'm quite surprised at some of the venom in the arguments- both for and against. As I insinuated in my opening post, this topic was started on another thread and I felt it was worth stiring the pot and getting opinions.

I find it interesting that there are new designs that are more spectator friendly. Would like to see one in operation.

Secondly, I almost feel that it is up to the client to say if he is bringing a rifle with a muzzel brake as a courtessy to the PH. That obviously isn't reality. I'll have a gentle dig at Ray though - PH's who accept anybody that the agent sends out are usually the young and trying to reach the top, rather than those who have got there, have a list of clients who's company they have enjoyed and do buisness with personally .

I would never Book a hunt with a client without a considerable ammount of pre hunt correspondence. What he likes to drink, eat, does he expect me to back him, would he prefer me to use the vedeo rather than a camera. What sort of ammo he intends to bring, pluss details on cloathing medicines etc (and does his blasted rifle have a muzzel brake). The reality is though that when you are asked to take over hunts at short notice you get the client that is there not a guy you have booked with. (by the same token the poor client gets stuck with someone like me- who likes to walk, enjoy the bush, talk ecology, look at the birds and have a fun hunt.)

I would recomend that any client booking through whoever, finds out who his prospective PH is and sends off an email. eg .If you know that your client is (say)unable to walk before the hunt, you can tell your employer (the operator) that he's got you booked for the wrong area for the game the client wants. Also, a good booking agent will have told the client what he will actually get on the ground. I have picked up several hunts this year (part way through) where the client had absolutely no idea of local conditions and as a consiquence, was either lucky or miserable.

I like to part with a client as a friend. Hunting with friends is always more pleasurable than just hunting. But it is as part of the pleasure of hunting that I felt this topic on muzzel brakes needed to be aired.

Ganyana:

You sound like who every first time hunter to Africa should have as his PH!. Heck! The umpteenth time hunter should be so lucky!

I hope everyone contemplating a trip to Africa reads your post carefully. It's a check list for them. (You are too polite, perhaps, to say so, so I'll say it for you. A client gets what he pays for. Want a "cheap" hunt? He can have it!. Of course, 8000 miles from home, he may discover some unpleasant surprises!)

BTW,(since GeorgeS may have misread what I was saying about muzzle brakes)it seems to me that the mere announcement by a hunter that he plans to bring a rifle equipped with a brake already tells you that he is "overgunned". Certainly, I would think that any outfitter or PH (the latter, in particular) has a right to bar them. If a man insists on using a caliber he can't handle I don't see why the PH (or the trackers) are supposed to risk their lives with a fool. Harsh language, I admit - but I don't think that when nyati gives that stare at 35 yards is any time to be counting on a firearm that one is already scared of! MY PH counted on me (sure, I know he assessed me beforehand) I wonder if he would have counted on me so much if I had a muzzle brake on the rifle? I don't think so

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I said:
Quote:

Fine and reasonable if that policy is laid out PRIOR to booking.

gerald,

I don't know how you read anything into my post beyond that Ganyana (and any outfitter/PH adamantly opposed to muzzle brakes) should inform prospective clients of their refusal to permit them while hunting prior to the client booking the hunt.

It would be a very disconcerting thing to have a policy like this dropped on you when you got to the safari camp (and had little choice other than to call off the hunt and demand a refund, plus expenses).

Please explain.

George

George:

I don't quite follow your request that I "explain". I was only commenting that muzzle brakes shouldn't be used at all on a rifle intended to hunt game. I was not critical of either you or Ganyana (or anyone else)

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys

I'm quite surprised at some of the venom in the arguments- both for and against. As I insinuated in my opening post, this topic was started on another thread and I felt it was worth stiring the pot and getting opinions.

I find it interesting that there are new designs that are more spectator friendly. Would like to see one in operation.

Secondly, I almost feel that it is up to the client to say if he is bringing a rifle with a muzzel brake as a courtessy to the PH. That obviously isn't reality. I'll have a gentle dig at Ray though - PH's who accept anybody that the agent sends out are usually the young and trying to reach the top, rather than those who have got there, have a list of clients who's company they have enjoyed and do buisness with personally .

I would never Book a hunt with a client without a considerable ammount of pre hunt correspondence. What he likes to drink, eat, does he expect me to back him, would he prefer me to use the vedeo rather than a camera. What sort of ammo he intends to bring, pluss details on cloathing medicines etc (and does his blasted rifle have a muzzel brake). The reality is though that when you are asked to take over hunts at short notice you get the client that is there not a guy you have booked with. (by the same token the poor client gets stuck with someone like me- who likes to walk, enjoy the bush, talk ecology, look at the birds and have a fun hunt.)

I would recomend that any client booking through whoever, finds out who his prospective PH is and sends off an email. eg .If you know that your client is (say)unable to walk before the hunt, you can tell your employer (the operator) that he's got you booked for the wrong area for the game the client wants. Also, a good booking agent will have told the client what he will actually get on the ground. I have picked up several hunts this year (part way through) where the client had absolutely no idea of local conditions and as a consiquence, was either lucky or miserable.

I like to part with a client as a friend. Hunting with friends is always more pleasurable than just hunting. But it is as part of the pleasure of hunting that I felt this topic on muzzel brakes needed to be aired.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JCN that is a great question. In RSA they make a surpressor that not only lowered the volume considerably but did also reduce recoil. How much this could be done here and not call it a supressor with all it's attendant record keeping and licensing is a great question. I would doubt that the BATF would give you solid info on that. I am positive it could be done but to what lengths one would have to go to to make it legal and above board who knows. Does anybody on the boards here know any BATF guys well enough to ask without getting you on a list that will get your phone tapped and a black car following you when going to the grocery? "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray , ya don't like stainles steel but muzzle brakes are ok? I think they belong on toasters as well .
Lucio

Posts: 57 | Location: san antonio texas | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote