THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Advice: Reducing powder charge for African Temps

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice: Reducing powder charge for African Temps
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is probably better suited to the reloading forum, but I'm getting no response and I'm in a hurry. I'm leaving for Namibia on Saturday!

I have worked up a load for my .338 WIN Mag using 73 grains of IMR-4350 and 225 Nosler Accubonds and am getting under q/2" groups from the bench. My concern is that it is only 9 degrees celsius here and will be ~30 degrees in Namibia during the day. 74 grains opens up fast to 1.125" or so at 9 degreegs and 75 gives me sticky bolt lift at 9 degrees, so I'm thinking I should reduce my charge to 71.5 or so to compensate. Does anyone know just how sensitive IMR-4350 is to temperature, and if so, how low do you think I should go? I'd to arrive with max loads and have stuck bolts in the field. I'd also like to try and keep to loads that shoot so damned well.

This will be my rifle for shots too far for the muzzle loader and for varmints at night like jackals, otherwise, 1.5" groups or so would not be that big a deal. Still, I like the tiny groups. I'm loading now so thanks in advance. I'll check in soon!

Posts: 244 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf. First off, thanks for your post. I have one box of 20 loaded at 73 grains. If I read you right, are you suggesting I just stick to the 73 grain hummer loads? Since the temperature is considerably higher in Namibia right now compared to where I am in Canada, I'm thinking that may cause problems since these are close to max.

Posts: 244 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Canon L series lens in 100-400mm and a new digital rebel just for the trip. It's only 6MP but it should be fine. I also bought the top of line flash. The lens and flash will also work on my film SLR Canon body. The lens has image stabilization so I can shoot freehand and with the CCD, the effective power will be 150-600mm without changing the speed of the lens. If I do my part I should be able to get some really great photographs with this rig. I'm bring ing a small DV camera too. I'll post pictures when I get back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That load sounds OK, though I've not used that bullet. It has worked fine for me with the Nosler 225gr Partition.
Mark

Posts: 37 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 16 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've hunted in 100 degrees Fahrenheit with maximum loads in my .375H&H and .470 Capstick and suffered no problems.

Keep the ammunition out of direct sunlight (i.e., not on the dashboard of the bakkie), and you should be fine.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Alf, its a rumored non existant problem created by those who handload foolishly, push the string and then blame it on the caliber, rifle and anything else that comes to mind....Every been to Presidio, Texas, Yuma Ariz or Southern California...we got hot! A normal summer day anywhere in Texas is Hell warmed over.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
Sheldon,

Do you plan on carrying a wider lens than the 100-400? With the typical digital SLR, it would be a real problem with group pics, panarama's, close ups of trophies or any interiors. I assume the Rebel's magnification factor is something like 1.6x and even a 28mm lens gets to be awfully close to being a 50 mm equivalent.

I really like my digital Canon's and the IS lenses are great. If you are new to digitals just make sure you have enough CF's or other means to store the pictures. You can really go through pics with a digital camera and weeding out bad pictures can be difficult through the camera's display.

Good luck and we will all be envious when we see the pictures!

Richard

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay. I'm sticking with the 73 grains of powder. I went back to the range today and was able to hit an 8x8" gong everytime from various field positions except for total freehand. I tried shooting sillouette style and it was hit and miss about 50%. With a decent rest like my bi-pod or even off my knees and sitting, I was also hitting that gong every time with my muzzle loaders and 250 grain Hornnady SST-MLs. I was getting regular 2.5-3" groups with both rifles, although the Savage smokeless ML was really kicking butt. I shot a couple of 1.5 groups at 200 yards with 300 grains bullets, but with a it sighted in at ~6" high at 100 yards, it was still hitting almost that much low at 200 yards, so I switched to 250's as my all around bullet in both rifles.

Richard:

I have an 18-55 for the digital, and also have a 24-70 and 50-200m for my film camera. I have lots of Fuji Velvia 50 ISO slide film, lots of 400 Kodak and 4 rolls of Fuji 800 pro film, so with my digital I am good to go. I will most like leave the 24-70 and 50-200 behind though if the 18-55 works on my Canon EOS 630. I will likely need the fast motor drive of my SLR at times, so that body has to come. The 100-400L IS will definitely work and should put some great images on that Velvia stuff. Of course, I will still have do the shooting to get suitable pictures. Oh, and just wait until you see the video.

By this time Saturday I will be in Frankfurt waiting for my SAA flight.