THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    PLEASE HELP - Taxidermist has my mount and disappeared!!!!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PLEASE HELP - Taxidermist has my mount and disappeared!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I need your help. In 2004 I was lucky enough to draw an oryx tag for the soldier only hunt on Ft Bliss, TX. I was able to shoot a very nice bull and took head and hide to Rio Grande Taxidermy in El Paso, TX to be mounted. Immediately after the hunt I was sent off to Ft Huachuca, AZ for a military school then on to Ft Carson, CO and then Iraq. During this time my wife kept in touch with the taxidermist for me to arrange for the mount delivery and such. But while I was in Iraq the shop seemed to disappear. No calls were answered and 2 certified letters my wife sent were returned.

Needless to say I am very upset about losing my mount. I am hoping somebody out there may know what happened to the shop. A name, address, phone number, or even a rumor would help. Here is the contact info I have for the shop. But I had a friend that recently arrived at Ft Bliss try and stop in and the shop appears to be closed up and empty.

Rio Grande Taxidermy
1019 Missouri Ave.
El Paso Tx 79902
#915-351-9370
fax-915-351-9791

Hopefully somebody out there can help me out.

William Berger

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
.....can't help, but you might want to post his name as well.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
That is one of the reasons I am posting. I am hoping someone out there will know the owners name. My receipts just show the shop information.

William Berger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with secutary of state. They may be able to provide a name. Also check the city for a place of business permit. Also check with wildlife and fisheries. They often check the shops. Thanks for the service you have provide for our nation.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most taxidermists in any given area should know about the others in that area. Given that, I suppose that the first contact I would make would be to the other three taxidermists (according to Switchboard) in the El Paso area. If that failed, I would then probably call the gunshops in the area trusting that some of their customers have need of taxidermy services.
Good luck, Tanker. I feel for your situation and actually wish I was in El Paso to help you out.

Garcia Joe & Son Taxidermist
(915) 532-2849
70 N Hammett St El Paso, TX

Hesford Taxidermy
(915) 598-6433
11054 Bob Stone Dr El Paso, TX

Upland Art
(915) 855-0501
13150 Stable Rd El Paso, TX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want post same request on a forum for taxidermist--- taxidermy.net
Luck to you

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
I'm from El Paso and know the hunting community there pretty well. Send me a private message and we'll see what can be done to locate the SOB.

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the taxidermy.net forums.

Those guys are pretty straight arows on policing themselves. somebody there may know where the guy is if you post his name and shop info.

Sure hope it works out for you

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7Xpress:
Most taxidermists in any given area should know about the others in that area. Given that, I suppose that the first contact I would make would be to the other three taxidermists (according to Switchboard) in the El Paso area. If that failed, I would then probably call the gunshops in the area trusting that some of their customers have need of taxidermy services.
Good luck, Tanker. I feel for your situation and actually wish I was in El Paso to help you out.

Garcia Joe & Son Taxidermist
(915) 532-2849
70 N Hammett St El Paso, TX

Hesford Taxidermy
(915) 598-6433
11054 Bob Stone Dr El Paso, TX

Upland Art
(915) 855-0501
13150 Stable Rd El Paso, TX

All the advice given above is good, and I'd be suprised if some of those leads didn't yeald something.
I lived in El Paso for 40 years, and have had several things done by Garcia, and I don't think it would have anything to do with him personally, but I'd bet my hat, he knows who the taxidermist for Rio Grande Texidermy is! Give him a call!

.............Good luck, and stay safe in Irak!

A GI coming home from Iraq was asked, in the airport, by Chelsie Clinton if he was scared in Bagdad, and he answered not as much as at home! What scares me here, more than OSAMA, are OBAMA and YO MAMA. Big Grin

Tanker you take care of OSAMA, and we'll take care of the other two! Thanks for your service!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for all the great tips and suggestions. Between here and another forum I have been able to get some pretty good leads. I am out of town for a few more days but I am going to do some serious following up on these leads. Thanks again.

William Berger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I just checked the TX Secretary of State's database.

There is no entity doing business as "Rio Grande Taxidermy", either as a corporation (1630 entries with Rio Grande in the name) or as a person doing business under an assumed name (160 entries).

If you paid a deposit up front for the work, hopefully you paid by check or credit card. If by check, find the check - if you don't have it your bank will send you a copy (be sure to ask for front and back). If by credit card, get the statement for the month the payment was made and the credit card company can provide you with all of the transaction information.

My bet is that the money or credit went into someone's personal account. The deposit information will appear on the back of the check or on the credit card transaction information.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

hope it helps!

Posts: 35 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 March 2007Reply With Quote