Find
Notify
Tools

Increasing Magazine Capacity
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted
My Model 70 CRF (.416 Rem) will only hold 3 rounds in its magazine. What's the easiest way to increase its capacity to 4 rounds? I'm no gunsmith so make it easy on me!!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Slide one in the chamber, pressing down on the magazine while locking the bolt closed. Put the safety on, carry it carefully and you have four rounds to shoot.

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Use Enough- Don't like doing that with CRF. Understand that using that procedure can damage the bolt. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

John

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
A model 70 is bad enough at only 3 down. Close the bolt over a round in the chamber. If the extractor breaks I'd be surprised. I do it all the time. And it's dangerous if a rifle won't do it.

The only way to increase the capacity (by one) is to buy a Sonny Hill drop box and a new stock (McMillan). An expensive 4th round in the magazine, but I did it for both of my Mod. 70 416's.

The other route is to buy a CZ Mag which typically hold 5 down. I did the conversion of a CZ 375 to 416 Rem., and holds 5 down.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I should have said is to put the fourth on top of the three in the magazine, pushing the three down as you load the fourth in the chamber, allowing the bolt to push the fourth into the chamber. That is how I do it and it does not put pressure on the extractor or bolt. Other hunters that I know do the same thing. You're right. If you just load the fourth in the chamber then you might have a problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use enough is right about loading the fourth round. However the non rotating extractor should not break by having to snap over the case head, its beveled so it can do just that.

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen. Will try Use Enough's suggestion.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

I can show you how to load the 4th round in the chamber without stressing the extractor at all. Give me a call.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Reach around under the magazine with left hand, placing finger tips on Extractor. Apply pressure to extractor in the middle while closing the bolt on 4th round and this will open it enough to snap over the round without a problem whether it is beveled or not. They are beveled by the way and meant to ride up and over without a problem. If your worried about it, try the above. Worked for many years on military rifles.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put one round in the mag then close the bolt. This done with the rifle on half safe. Then open the floor plate and drop the three into the well making sure the cartridges line correctly in stagger with the floor plate. That is the correct way.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd do a search, someone had recently posted the same question on Gunsmithing or Bigbore, I think. He found a Mauser spring that compresses flater. I think he said it allowed him to load four in the magazine w/ enough room that he could place a fifth round on top and push it down far enough for the case head to slip under the extractor when closing the bolt. I think he posted a link. I intend to try the same thing w/ mine after Christmas when I have the time.

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was easy to find. Was on Bigbore. I brought it up to the top. Here is part of it:

"I finally got the Mauser mag follower spring I ordered a week and a half ago.I installed the spring and it looks and fits better than the Winchester one.The best part is that it works just like I hoped it would. Now I can put 4 down in the mag and pressing down with my thumb on the rounds the bolt slides by easily to chamber the 5th round. Like JBD said, I don't know if it works in all these guns but it worked perfectly in mine!"

Larry

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I think Jim Brockman has a larger magazine for the Mo 70's. http://www.brockmansrifles.com _BAxter

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've always just leaned my CRF M70 in .416 Rem over on the left side to put a 4th in the chamber while 3 are in the mag.

At least in my rifle if the 4th round is laying against the left side of the receiver as I close the bolt it easily slips under the extractor with no extra force or noise.

I’ve tried the other methods and this is much quicker and easier for me.

Hope that helps.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Last night I loaded 3 in the chamber and placed a 4th round on top. By holding the 4th round firmly in place then pushing down on it with my left hand while sliding the bolt forward with my right hand the extractor "popped" right over the casing and voila, a fourth round was easily chambered.

Will have to look into to Gary and Baxter's suggestions too.

Thanks. John

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Just looked at Brockman's website. A drop box magazine to add one additional round is $450.00. Think I'll pass on that one!!

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad that it worked for you like it has for us and that we could be of some assitance to you.